FIAT DUCATO 3000L AUTOMATIC

KEVB

The Fiat engineer has now visited the garage twice in the past two weeks on his first visit he found water had collected in a plug and caused corrosion new plug had to be ordered so when the new plug was fitted he had already gone fault was still the same.

The engineer returned this week and seems to think the problem is a fly wheel in the gear box . This entails stripping the gear box down to see if he is correct .

It would appear that 8500miles in 4 years is not enough usage.

As far as I'm aware the Comfort-Matic transmission fitted to your motorhome has much the same gearbox, flywheel and clutch as the manually-operated transmission used on Fiat Ducatos with the 3.0litre motor.

I could understand that your vehicle might have a problem with its gearbox, flywheel and/or clutch (and, perhaps, that this might be attributed to a low annual mileage), but a problem "with a flywheel in the gearbox" seems an odd diagnosis to me.

If there's a flywheel-related fault (the 3.0litre's motor has a dual-mass flywheel) a replacement won't be cheap. Certainly, to inspect the condition of the flywheel, the gearbox would need to be removed, but normally there should be no requirement to strip the gearbox down if the flywheel proves to be at fault.

Archived