Documents to carry

travellingman

Evening All,Can Anyone give me an idea of what documents I should carry on my trip to--I hope--the sun in Spain in a few weeks.I have seen a list which says your log-book(V5C) MOT Insurance documents travel documents etc,all of which have details about me and would be very valuble if I "Lost" them or they were nicked.Or am I being paranoid ,and Spain is a very safe country to loose documents etc.

Thank you for all suggestions that will be gratefully received

My understanding is that you have to carry them. I do plus a copy of recent habitation check and weighbridge certificate.

The V5 I get photo copied and leave at home. Insurance and MOT can always be got fro t'internet.

I agree its a great identikit for would be robbers.

I should mention I dont leave them in the van. I carry them with me in a document wallet.

Hope that helps have a good and safe time

Glen

I carry all documents in as safe a wallet, carried in a cross body bag, can possibly be.

But, I scan all docs and email copies to myself, so images are stored in cyber space, and I also take copies on a memory stick – well hidden.

Be as safe as you can make yourself and then relax and enjoy the trip.

For us we copy all documents to a USB Memory Stick which can be easily secured on person & take copies of the Documents hidden around the Van.

Also include Passports, Travel Insurance, EHIC card, Telephone contacts listing, (stolen/lost Credit Cards contacts) Van inventory list, etc..

But if you use Gwendolyn's method I wouldn't put copies of Passports & other personal documents in cyberspace as e-mail accounts can get hacked.

flicka - 2013-08-24 11:25 PM

For us we copy all documents to a USB Memory Stick which can be easily secured on person & take copies of the Documents hidden around the Van.

Also include Passports, Travel Insurance, EHIC card, Telephone contacts listing, (stolen/lost Credit Cards contacts) Van inventory list, etc..

But if you use Gwendolyn's method I wouldn't put copies of Passports & other personal documents in cyberspace as e-mail accounts can get hacked.

Yes, true. But I have multiple email accounts, in fictional names, and images are doctored and other info heavily ‘coded’… only I know the ‘codes’. Too complicated to explain….. anyway, were I to explain, I may give away too much…

Guest JudgeMental
yes you need to carry originals and copies a good idea, on paper and memory stick backup including passport details? Fit a safe..takes all the worry away unless vehicle stolen..but what the odds on that, a break in more likely *-)

All of the above is good advice. We take all the necessary original docs plus copies kept in a different place. I would also add that if you take medication then take a copy of your prescription - we once accidentally left the extra amounts we needed for a four week break in Germany but were able to get them through a German GP (based at the Dusseldorf Show) and dispensed at the local pharmacy. Keep the receipt if you do not pay for prescriptions here as you will be able to reclaim the cost.

As for security we have only had one incident during our European travels. At a time when we used to tow a ( family) caravan with a small camper we stayed on the site at Guines in our first night in France. Next morning the camper had been broken into and all the lockers searched. As there was only the two of us we were sleeping in the caravan and had nothing stowed in the camper so nothing was taken. However, I had left the book of copies of all our documents in the van (originals in the caravan) and thought at the time that someone missed an ideal opportunity to acquire pretty much everything needed to get a false identity!

It was after that incident that I had a safe fitted.

David

nowtelse2do - 2013-08-25 8:41 PM

Gwendolyn - 2013-08-24 11:49 PM

Yes, true. But I have multiple email accounts, in fictional names, and images are doctored and other info heavily ‘coded’… only I know the ‘codes’. …

Yosser is not one of your fictional names is it Gwen ? :-D

Dave

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment",

Like the judge says fit a safe.

We have one and keep everything in it including Documents watches, wallets and cash etc and just take some out when we need it.We also put jewelry etc away in it when we are on aires etc overnight. consequently any would be robber would have to be good and very fast to get at them before he woke me and my baseball bat up. We have copies of passports id page which I laminated and keep in the sun visor sleeve for quick ID if stopped.

You have by law in Europe to carry the originals so why not put them away and use the copies unless in a police station etc.

Makes you feel a lot more secure-especially in remote areas

Mike

Archived