Dometic Fridge

kelly58

The Dometic Fridge in my Auto Trail Tracker RS has developed a strange noise when it fires up on gas, as with all fridges there's the usual tick tick tick , but then there is a strange sort of clunking sound for a few seconds , then it works fine and keeps really cold. I have spoken to the local  Dometic mobile engineer who said he'd not come across this problem before and would get back to me , but was busy until after 10th September and that's the day we are going back to France . Has anyone else encountered this problem with their fridge. 

That sounds about right when you are in trouble. Can you pull the fuse on the habitation battery and leave it off for about a minute then put it back and turn the fridge back on. It's a way of resetting these latest fridges, it just might resolve your problem. If not then you will have to seek further assistance. Can't your supplying dealer help?

After I left Marquis who gave me details of my local Dometic engineer I rang and spoke to him Tuesday lunch time who only lives about 12 miles from my home , but to date he has not got back to me . I explained we were away to France again on Sept 10th for 3 weeks and do not want a duff fridge. Not a very good service from Dometic unlike when I had a problem with a Thetford fridge the engineer was at my door 2 days after I had rang them.

If the clonking is associated with firing up (either just before or a few seconds afterwards, it might be the gas valve solenoid.

A week or so back I posted a problem I was having with my Dometic fridge, and in trying to sort IT, I've been scrutinising the plumbing. When my gas valve opens there's an audible clonk and after the flame is lit, there's another. If the flame does not ignite (after 20-30 secs of tick tick tick) the valve shuts for safety and you get a red warning light on the control panel.

If you get a repetition, it could be that the gas valve is ..er.. um.. confused.

I've discovered my fridge has a test programme that checks the different functions. Yours might also. Here's the drill

TURN OFF

press and hold in temp control button

Turn on

continue to hold temp control button

all the leds flash in sequence.

each led now represents a different test and I can hear the valve opening and shutting

you can cycle through the test by pressing the temp control button

Archived