Speedcoat

Knaus

Ours was done by the dealer shortly before we bought the van and after about 5 weeks use so far so good.

The 'orange peel' effect may not be to everyone's taste but it is less slippery when wet but not quite so easy to dry off and keep clean especially when the shower tray is also the loo floor.

On balance we would have it done again in preference to pulling the shower apart to get the old tray out with the potential for damage and the potential for leaks when refitting a new tray by a less than competent fitter - always assuming the new tray is the exact right size and shape as the old one.

Does that help?

the shower tray in our M/H, suffered from cracks I used a crack sealer which has worked up to now but now I,m considering using either a Marine anti slip paint, or this stuff I came across, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-Cracked-Shower-Tray-Base-Paint-Repair-Kit-Anti-Slip-White-/370588464005?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D370388691734%26ps%3D54

will need to wait till our tourings over for the season before I can give   it my full attention, if it doesnt work its still not a costly as speedcoat which only looks like Marine anti slip paint to me.??

We had the Speedcoat process carried out on our shower tray a few weeks ago. To answer your question, so far it looks really good. We're about to set off on a 4 week trip, so it'll be fairly well tested by the end of it. The tray was 6 years old, and had several fine hairline cracks radiating in a spiderweb form, becoming more visible after each holiday. I contacted Speedcoat, thinking that I would have to make a 2 hour journey to see them. But they contacted their nearest representative, who luckily only lives a few miles away from me (Norwich). http://www.thecaravanman.org.uk/. He phoned, arranged a visit to inspect the tray, gave us a quote, and because we had an adequately wide driveway where he could park alongside our van, said that he would return in 2 weeks to do the job. Exactly on time he turned up, but said that as rain was about to fall, he would not take any risk with the weather, and arranged to return 2 days later, on a Sunday. He did, started work at 0830, and spent over 5 hours preparing the van, including removing the toilet, and completely sealing off every part of the van from the shower area, including building a tunnel from the shower to outside the van. He spent a couple of hours spraying the tray and then dismantling the tunnel, finishing at 4 pm. He returned the next day for another couple of hours to refit and reseal the toilet bowl and the shower tray area to the walls. When finished, it looks far better than I imagined it would, the crinkly Matt finish looks good, and feels good. We were told not to use it or move it for 48 hours. The process does make a heck of a stink, which takes several days to disappear, glue sniffers would be in heaven. Prior to having it done I admit I was apprehensive, and worried that I was about to make a big mistake. But the standard of workmanship and cleanliness throughout the whole procedure was fantastic. It was great not having to take the van somewhere, so I had no additional costs. So far, highly recommended!

Hi

Thanks for all your messages.

Our nearest Speedcoat dealer is in Peacehaven, Sussex. We live near Portsmouth, so it is a 2 hour

drive. We have sent email photos of our shower basin and are waiting to hear from them. There is one

in Swindon who are mobile but they don't come as far down as us. It is a shame that there isn't

a Speedcoat agent nearer Portsmouth. There are several Motorhome dealers in the area, it would be

a good idea if they gave the service.

We have a 2004 Knaus traveller 505 with a round shower cubicle which is integrated with the rest of the floor of the washroom.

Knaus - 2013-09-02 3:52 PM

Hi

Thanks for all your messages.

Our nearest Speedcoat dealer is in Peacehaven, Sussex. We live near Portsmouth, so it is a 2 hour

drive. We have sent email photos of our shower basin and are waiting to hear from them. There is one

in Swindon who are mobile but they don't come as far down as us. It is a shame that there isn't

a Speedcoat agent nearer Portsmouth. There are several Motorhome dealers in the area, it would be

a good idea if they gave the service.

We have a 2004 Knaus traveller 505 with a round shower cubicle which is integrated with the rest of the floor of the washroom.

Hi

We live near Portsmouth, and I have sent an e-mail to Speedcoat, to ask where our nearest supplier is, as our shower tray has a small crack. If you find some one close by, please let me know, and if I get a reply will let you know. There maybe a mobile person who would come out. There is a place in Dorset, but further away for you.

I know of some one who does Gel coat boat repairs, so I may have a word there, only just thought of that!!

PJay

Hi again

I have contacted two Speedcoat guys and sent photos of the shower tray etc to them both, but haven't heard anything from either of them. If they think that the job is too much for them I wish they would let me know.

One lives in Waterlooville and the other is at Stewart Mouland in Peacehaven.

You mentioned there is one in Dorset, can you let me know who it is. The Swindon one is a possible, but

we would need to stay overnight somewhere as it will be a good two hour journey, putting up the cost.

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Hi Knass

I found this on line

Scuffs & Scrapes. Tarrant Hinton, Blanford Forum DT11 8GY

Have not contacted them, but I think some one on here may have done.

will be interested to know how you get on. As I said before, it may be worth our while asking at Port Solent Marina, as there are fibre Glass boat repairers there. will let you know if I find out. It's a good idea to take a photo, must do that, but as we don't keep our van at home, will have to go over to the site with camera

we are hoping to get away in a couple of weeks time, to France, so it may have to wait for the moment.

Our crack is only small, so as long as we don't use the shower, is not a problem, YET!

PJay

Archived