Hymer

Antonio

Made a decision,sort of. A Hymer B584. Big enough for me and my dog. Left hand drive,as I will be in Spain a lot.

I have a budget of £20,000 max.

I have done quite a bit of research,but as it will be my first MH can anyone inform me on what to be aware of especially regarding this model. I know there are lots of owner sites,but as owners they may be a bit biased 8-)

Many thanks

Hello Antonio,

I've done a bit of digging through our records and according to our database the following issues feature tests or reports:

MMM

Feb 1999 = full test

Nov 2007 = owner's report

Which Motorhome

Jan 94 = test

Aug 96 = Group test

Feb 2005 = Group test

We offer a service whereby back issues can be re-printed (which I think costs around £5/issue - but I can't say for certain, I'm afraid).

Jane is the lady you need to contact: janec@warnersgroup.co.uk

Hope that helps :-)

Guest JudgeMental
Charles Chodkowski - 2013-08-28 1:41 PM

Do you suggest the "god" Neptune has a look for damp?

Indeed...Because they all leak just some more than others! and an independent test with proper equipment. mechanical problermos can be dealt with (at a cost) but damp? Oh Lordy......make sure you inspect the roof

my pal bought a good old Hymer this year at around your budget...plenty of them around.

Hi . OK I will reply as a satisfied owner. Ours is 12 years old, we have had it for 5 years (had another good one before, a Burstner). The Hymer has been trouble free, good to drive plenty of storage, no damp problems, probably due to Hymers type of construction , a bit thirsty 2.8 id TD ( as was the Burstner) 21-23 mpg. Lowish side mirrors sticking out 10" each side, a bit worrying in narrow or crowded situations , but this probably applies tho other A class M/H 's. Notes. If the R/H front seat swivel knob sticks out too far and catches your ankles, bend the bracket down so that it's flush with the seat. To increase the gap between the front seats, remove the R/H front seat L/H arm rest. Fit magnetic door catches to the bathroom /wardrobe/ under sink doors.Ensure the ladder is secure with the bed strap (otherwise it drops on to the table). Remember when draining down there are hot/cold drain taps on the floor to the side of the boiler. If you have a drain smell when you remove the large sink cover check if there is a chopping board on the underside, if so remove it.

Brian B.

Guest JudgeMental
Antonio - 2013-08-31 2:11 PM

Thanks all for the info. Will hire a good quality damp meter,when I do buy. Even if it does not show up any problems it will make the seller think I know what I'm doing (lol)

Having/hiring the equipment one thing.....And an entirely different issue knowing how to use it and interpreting the data to arrive at an informed opinion *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-09-01 9:13 PM

Antonio - 2013-08-31 2:11 PM

Thanks all for the info. Will hire a good quality damp meter,when I do buy. Even if it does not show up any problems it will make the seller think I know what I'm doing (lol)

Having/hiring the equipment one thing.....And an entirely different issue knowing how to use it and interpreting the data to arrive at an informed opinion *-)

Too true Judge!..............and hiring the right sort of damp meter is also very important; as was pointed out to me when I replied to a similar thread!!

Hope you get the right one Antonio; or you'll have just the opposite effect. (sorry I can't remember exactly what the right one is; but it won't make holes!!)

regards

alan b

Archived