Sir David Frost RIP

Tracker

It's a shame but, like taxes, it's the only certainty in life.

Another of the 'gentleman' interviewers/journos gone.  There was a certain gravitas exhibited by people like him and unfortunately it seems to be a rarity in these times of the 'soundbite'.  Paxman comes close but doesn't quite get there.

To paraphrase.............'Hello, good evening and....goodbye'.  RIP Sir David.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2013-09-01 5:29 PM

I think I read he was 74 - but I don't think it said what of Malc.

Heart attack.......... he was on board the Queen Elisabeth due to give a speech........... :-|

George Collings - 2013-09-01 3:45 PMA gentleman and so very professional. Comparing him with Paxman is akin to putting a brain surgeon alongside a demolition contractor.

True George but Paxo seems to be the only one with the knack, or indeed interest, in pressing the point and getting 'real' as opposed to soundbite answers.  I agree he's not the gentleman Frost was, nor does he have the charisma but these days there seems to be a distinct shortage of 'real' interviewers with 'bite' so we have to make do with Paxo.

RogerC - 2013-09-01 9:26 PM
George Collings - 2013-09-01 3:45 PMA gentleman and so very professional. Comparing him with Paxman is akin to putting a brain surgeon alongside a demolition contractor.

True George but Paxo seems to be the only one with the knack, or indeed interest, in pressing the point and getting 'real' as opposed to soundbite answers.  I agree he's not the gentleman Frost was, nor does he have the charisma but these days there seems to be a distinct shortage of 'real' interviewers with 'bite' so we have to make do with Paxo.

And today's interviewers have to be much less "gentlemanly" to get those "real answers," since politicians are so much more skilled in twisting the interview the way they want.

I fancy the first lesson politicians learn is how when a awkward question is put to them to neatly jump sideways and answer the question they really wanted to be asked. I have been taking an interest in politics for about 55 years now and politicians seeemed just as adept at the sidestep then as they are now and its probably always been true.

I think nowdays, interviewers have a list of questions that they can and can't ask the person they are interviewing. Sad really, not much depth to interviews these days. Who cares about the life story of Pop Stars in there teens and twenties What LIFE Story??

PJay

George Collings - 2013-09-02 11:40 AM

I fancy the first lesson politicians learn is how when a awkward question is put to them to neatly jump sideways and answer the question they really wanted to be asked.

Which is certainly something that would never happen on this forum.

;-)

A really good hard hitting article Peter - one that had me nodding in agreement.

Some tough questions being asked that deserve answers.

I found the comment from a Roger Darse to be interesting as well.

"RogerDarse

10 minutes ago

When 1 in 8 Magistrate's cases relates to non payment (and that is only the people they catch and prosecute) you know that the BBC licence fee is finished whether that be sooner or later.

The government should find another solution for the BBC now before an unsuitable solution finds it."

I was not aware that 1 in 8 of Magistrates cases were non payment of the TV License! 8-)

Now that is an interesting statistic.

Archived