Berlin

Bojitoes

We've booked our ferry to Dunkirk for Tuesday week & have decided that we will go to Berlin- I've not been there for 45 years so am sure things have changed. So, looking for hints & suggestions as to best route & places to stop at along the way. We definitely want to go to Aachen, we missed it on our trip to the Rhine last year, but no other thoughts at the moment.

There appear to be a few campsites in the ACSI book outside Berlin but any hints on Stellplatz etc much appreciated. Also if anyone has experience of buying a data sim card for my unlocked dongle it would help.

As always thanks in advance for the suggestions

Bob

Bojitoes - 2013-09-01 2:20 PM

We've booked our ferry to Dunkirk for Tuesday week & have decided that we will go to Berlin- I've not been there for 45 years so am sure things have changed. So, looking for hints & suggestions as to best route & places to stop at along the way. We definitely want to go to Aachen, we missed it on our trip to the Rhine last year, but no other thoughts at the moment.

There appear to be a few campsites in the ACSI book outside Berlin but any hints on Stellplatz etc much appreciated. Also if anyone has experience of buying a data sim card for my unlocked dongle it would help.

As always thanks in advance for the suggestions

Bob

We stayed here when we went and it was about 5 mins walk to the Railway Station and an express train right into center of Berlin

http://www.stellplatz-berlin.de/

We then did the hop on/hop off bus tour which was brilliant-stop and look at what you want then get next bus round.

It has changed a lot since the wall came down and especially in 45 years but still very interesting. Lots of opportunists making money from the old days ie phots at 'Checkpoint Charlie' Russian uniforms for sale and also hire a Trabbie for the day etc but who can blame them. We had a brilliant time and would definitely go again

En route, Hamlyn or Hameln as the call it is well worth a coiule of days too-the children act a free play in the park theater on Sunday mornings of the Pied Piper story-there's a small stellplatz here lso-just down by the river so you can have a walk up in the evening if it's nice

Enjoy your trip and have fun

Mike

988785651_BerlinStellplatz.jpg.ca83a5c60c5e68fc895eefeffe3099dd.jpg

DSCF0076.JPG.45ea5a5d5b1d1ee35e713280585fe886.JPG

DSCF0100.JPG.fcd5fbd05dd8b60be7687f79aee4455b.JPG

Your informant was right, cards are not as widely accepted in Germany as in France or UK. It is not as bad as it was back in the 70's, when virtually no-one took tham, but it is still a bit of a lottery, so you do need to be prepared to pay cash. Filling stations generally seem to accept cards, campsites not so, restaurants may if "silver service" - but the local "stube" may not. I think this also varies geographically, so planning for a high cash spend when visiting would be wise.

Thanks for the replies folks. Mike- it looks excellent, thank you. We have made a reservation for 5 nights and will see when we get there if that is long enough. Have not thought too much more about route but Hamelin sounds interesting anyway.

I totally agree about the need to carry euros. Last year we found we had to look hard for banks which took Visacard debit cards as many banks only accepted debit cards issued by German banks &, from our experience going down the Rhine & Moselle, sorry Brian, Mosel, very few retailers accepted anything but cash.

Thanks again

Bob

Bojitoes - 2013-09-02 5:37 PM

Thanks for the replies folks. Mike- it looks excellent, thank you. We have made a reservation for 5 nights and will see when we get there if that is long enough. Have not thought too much more about route but Hamelin sounds interesting anyway.

I totally agree about the need to carry euros. Last year we found we had to look hard for banks which took Visacard debit cards as many banks only accepted debit cards issued by German banks &, from our experience going down the Rhine & Moselle, sorry Brian, Mosel, very few retailers accepted anything but cash.

Thanks again

Bob

Not sure of your route but we went out via Hamlyn and back via Goslar which is well worth a visit and although the stellplatz was a bit basic it was free (this was 4 years ago so check it out).

If you do go here check out the glockenspiel at I think 3pm (?) when the mining history is shown on the Town hall.

Here's the link to the town-we liked it and stayed a couple of days (really good bakers just by the stellplatz)

http://www.goslar.de/english/town-history

Mike

kelly58 - 2013-09-01 6:08 PM

Not sure how true it is  but I was told by a motorhomer that its not possible to always use UK credit / debit cards in Germany , so you may need plenty of euros . No doubt someone will prove me wrong,.

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-01 7:40 PM

Your informant was right, cards are not as widely accepted in Germany as in France or UK.

Sorry but both of you are wrong and i'm somewhat bemused by your 'observations' on this. It's almost as though you think Germany is some far flung uncivilised third world country. Believe it or not Germany actually does have ATM machines in every town and city which amazingly dispense euros!

Germany is a country i've travelled in extensively and yes some Campsites may not accept a credit card and want cash payment..........but you can apply that to any country!!! Some Campsites in the UK won't take card payment and work only in cash.

All Filling stations in Germany (diesel currently at £1.20 per litre) take debit/credit cards as do the Supermarkets, Restaurants........and most Campsites also.

I've just returned through Germany and though I had cash, I used my credit card wherever possible which was in most places......though obviously not if buying just an espresso.

Just take some euros with you and if you want or need more, go along to an ATM which will only be a few minutes walk away. Does anyone ever go anywhere without some cash on them?

Archived