Fridge Temperature

Retread24800

Getting pretty tired of having the fridge failing to freeze at high ambient temperatures ie +30°C reading here and elsewhere that absorption Fridges need extra cooling to work etc.

Was wondering why with decent battery power and with occasional mains esp the motorised caravan types, why do we still put up with Dometics offering?

Been looking at Waeco compressor fridges which are advertised to work at +40odd °C giving a freezer at -18°C, average power consumption of C2.0Ah/h, similar prices but no gas option obviously. Sounds too good to be true or am I missing something?

Guest JudgeMental
If it struggles on electric gas normally works much better...I just hang a table top fan by a bungee over bottom vent and have ice every day..cheap and easy solution....

JudgeMental - 2013-09-04 6:09 PMIf it struggles on electric gas normally works much better...I just hang a table top fan by a bungee over bottom vent and have ice every day..cheap and easy solution....

But if we were given the option of a proper compressor fridge these ad hoc measures would be un necessary, these Fridges belong in the dark ages.

Retread24800 - 2013-09-04 5:19 PMBut if we were given the option of a proper compressor fridge these ad hoc measures would be un necessary, these Fridges belong in the dark ages.

Hi Roger,If they are properly installed, with appropriate ventilation I'm told that absorption fridges are excellent, and have 3-way option, which some folk would make the first priority. We've had a Waeco compressor fridge for about a year now, replacing a 3-way that was just as you describe.Wouldn't go back. Only disadvantage might be noise of compressor or charger kicking in overnight; but we're not light sleepers. Ours is a CR65, 58 Litres I think, which is fine for us. A much larger one might have battery capacity issues if "off-grid" for a while.Horses for courses/each to his own I think,regardsalan b

Guest JudgeMental
Retread24800 - 2013-09-04 5:19 PM
JudgeMental - 2013-09-04 6:09 PMIf it struggles on electric gas normally works much better...I just hang a table top fan by a bungee over bottom vent and have ice every day..cheap and easy solution....

But if we were given the option of a proper compressor fridge these ad hoc measures would be un necessary, these Fridges belong in the dark ages.

Its not ad hoc as we use the fan for cooling interior and when in bed etc.....so fan with us anywayyes if buying a new van an option maybe, but as a replacement? but I still would not due to battery usage, noise and the size tends to be smaller.But absorption perfectly adequate for 10 months of the year and a £15 fan takes care of the few occasions it does not work well enough on gas. You can always fit a pair of 12v PC fans and that works just as well..I have not bothered with this van as the fan more than adequate in summer...By all means knock yourself out and spend the money.....

The fridge in our last caravan 2002 vintage did not perform too well above 30 deg so I added a couple of computer fans as I have always done on previous vans. The TEC tower in our 2008 Motorhome has always performed OK never felt the need for additional fan, we nearly always run on gas.

Guest JudgeMental
Retread24800 - 2013-09-04 8:46 PM
JudgeMental - 2013-09-04 7:30 PM absorption perfectly adequate for 10 months of the year

Used to keep the milk under the van in a bucket of water and that was good for 9 months of the year. It's the two months that it don't work That's when you need it.

Your being ridiculous..Pepe's link is what i have used on 3 vans until it eventually fell to bits and stopped functioning, handy being 12v if on Aires etc.... . In italy this summer in 30 deg plus, I would put ice bags in freezer in morning and have ice for the G&T by 6, net cost zero.... Like I said earlier, spend what you want, but you can get the same result spending a hell of a lot less....I have a 3 way 100 litre fridge that works fine and is silent....

You are all fiddling round the edges and not looking at the root cause, For forty years now we have been making do with absorption technology and unless we get up on our hind legs and see the problem we will still be fiddling round to get the best out of old technology, its a bit like saying that N-A Diesel is fine on Campers because you don't need to overload it rather than accepting that turbos are available now and OK so they run better, give better MPG etc. but so what. No I wont be changing my Fridge until it goes T**s U* but when it does that will be the time to change. Why are you so set on justifying this old , tired means of keeping your beer cold? And all run off a solar panel!

After many years of using absorption fridges in both caravans and motorhomes I have over the last two years had the benefit of a compressor fridge. I was initially doubtful about the claimed performance for this type of technology but have to say I have been delighted with it.

The fridge/freezer is a Vitrifrigo 90 litre model and it will make ice cubes very quickly. We have a 90 watt solar panel which seems to deliver all the power required if the weather is reasonable. This has been of great benefit when moving off site for a day to shop or visit places as the fridge is simply left as it is without any need to consider an alternative energy source. Vitrifrigo is of italian origin but the compressor used in the fridge/freezer is a well respected Danfoss unit. The fridge will shut down if a particular low voltage level is reached but I've not experienced this yet. I note that the shut down voltage level is adjustable by the use of various value resistors in the fridge's circuitry.

The only drawback I've experienced with the fridge/freezer is the formation of ice around the door of the freezer. On extended stays abroad this usually requires the unit to be defrosted every two to three weeks if the freezer door is not to freeze up solid. I think this problem is exacerbated by the design of freezer door which is a little too flexible and can leave an air gap if the freezer compartment is full and the contents resting against the door. A ribbed freezer door would be a welcome modification. I have passed my thoughts onto Vitrifrigo about this.

Noise wise the unit can be heard when it is operating but not intrusively. In fact it is quite reassuring to hear it operating and also hear the long periods when it isn't which suggest the insulation is good. In summary my next motorhome must have a compressor fridge.

Archived