Irish method of how to get on the roof with a short ladder!

Mel B

You may have already seen the below photo of alleged 'Irish hedge-trimming' but something I saw on holiday made me giggle and it was definitely IRISH!

A few days ago whilst travelling along we noticed 3 chaps looking up at the front of a bungalow, one had a high lift pallet truck (like that in the 2nd picture below) with a wooden pallet on it and standing ON the wooden pallet was a second man lifting up a single aluminium roof ladder, about 8ft long, with the top of it resting on the bungalow's guttering above him ... so far so good. This is were it gets totally IRISH though! Next thing we knew the chap 'driving' the truck proceeded to raise the pallet and second map up to roof level who pushed the ladder up onto the roof as he was 'going up' ... the third man appeared to be 'supervising' them. *-)

All we can assume is that they only had one ladder, which wasn't long enough to reach up to the roof, and so they 'improvised' a way of getting up there ... I so wish I'd had my camera to hand to take a photo for Brian to give his 'health and safety' advice on! :D

346482468_Irishhedgetrimming.jpg.4ad7825c91c92cc346ea6a0e29028ffb.jpg

230031820_lifttruck.jpg.f35c975a8a78b4b03b85548f31856417.jpg

My son - who is a Master Thatcher - was asked to do a repair on a chimney because the rain was getting in and he said that it would need scaffolding to do it - which is about another £1500.

The house owner said no and suggested that he could borrow a Tractor with a bucket on the end and the ladder could be placed in the bucket and my son could carry out the repair with the bucket and the ladder placed over the new Conservatory. 8-)

The implications were horrendous. My son declined the job unless scaffolding was used.

People do the most bizarre things.

CliveH - 2013-09-05 11:52 AM

My son - who is a Master Thatcher - was asked to do a repair on a chimney because the rain was getting in and he said that it would need scaffolding to do it - which is about another £1500.

The house owner said no and suggested that he could borrow a Tractor with a bucket on the end and the ladder could be placed in the bucket and my son could carry out the repair with the bucket and the ladder placed over the new Conservatory. 8-)

The implications were horrendous. My son declined the job unless scaffolding was used.

People do the most bizarre things.

Clive , scaffold is for sissys ( not all sissys are bad , softies , shirt lifters etc , I am in no way suggesting all sissys are sissys and any hint of bigotry is purely unintentional )

Up ere int north we strap together ladders and old trees for working platforms .

antony1969 - 2013-09-05 12:49 PM

Clive , scaffold is for sissys ( not all sissys are bad , softies , shirt lifters etc , I am in no way suggesting all sissys are sissys and any hint of bigotry is purely unintentional )

Up ere int north we strap together ladders and old trees for working platforms .

You mean like this? :D

752612638_meltree2.jpg.ab86d2b5add84e2fec49f409a2ca7e7f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from three weeks along the lower Sein then into Normandy before returning via Roscoff.

Its the apple picking season in Normandy. They were using 6m high ladders against the branches of the trees but stabilised sideways by very long whippy poles from the ground to near the top of the ladder.

Despite the pretty country side not a single safety elf spotted.

Archived