Verdon Gorge ?

whisturx

Currently at Die SE of Valence heading for Lac de Sainte Croix and the Verdon Gorge . Just wondered how dodgy the D952 road on the north side of the gorge from Castellane to Moustiers Sainte Marie in a fairly large A-class ?

The intention is to go to the lake and then cut down to Draguigan on the D957 from Moustiers then to Grimaud.

I have driven the route De Napoleon before so not particularly interested in Castellane. The aire is always packed ! Can you drive up the Gorge from the lake and turn around anywhere as I get the impression the lake end is the main attraction ?

Any help appreciated

whisturx - 2013-09-06 1:05 PM

Currently at Die SE of Valence heading for Lac de Sainte Croix and the Verdon Gorge . Just wondered how dodgy the D952 road on the north side of the gorge from Castellane to Moustiers Sainte Marie in a fairly large A-class ?

The intention is to go to the lake and then cut down to Draguigan on the D957 from Moustiers then to Grimaud.

I have driven the route De Napoleon before so not particularly interested in Castellane. The aire is always packed ! Can you drive up the Gorge from the lake and turn around anywhere as I get the impression the lake end is the main attraction ?

Any help appreciated

First as far as I am concerned the lake is not the main attraction the gorge is. The road both north and south is no problem at all, plenty a big coaches on it. Yes you could drive up from the lake and turn around in several places.

Many thanks. Will probably stop at Castellane aire tomoro as sat-nag showing over 3 hours from here at Die (just been told its pronounced Dee !!) Then we get to take it steady down the Gorge. Will probably try a camp site at Moustiers as the aire looks small and its a weekend !!

Can recommend this ACSI site at € 12 on the edge of the village.

Hi,

We stayed at the Moustier aire in late May at a busy weekend and there were plenty of spaces - it's on two terraces. The next morning we drove up the north side of the gorge with no problems except a 1metre diameter boulder had landed in the road presumably during the night so no damaged vehicles!!! 

We did the corniche loop which is thankfully one way at the narrowest part with a couple of small tunnels but have never driven up or down the southern route sublime. 

We didn't like the Castellane aire too crowded and full of cars during the day.

Steve

Now at Moustier . Aire was busy so used the ACSI site St Jean near the aire. Great showers !! Been very hot but rain tomorrow so intend to do the Northern loop on Monday when the weekenders leave and the forecast is better. Very busy here with mainly German and French vans and no Brits to be seen.

Survived the Gorge . Went round the Route de Cres on the North side which as long as you go clockwise the same way as the coaches, was fine. It is better to go early as the trippers start midday

Now in Grimaud which is absolutely full. Tried sites at Cavaliere and they are either full or the pitches left might fit a VW Combi at best !! The aires are full also but the weather is great.

May need a chainsaw to get out of my pitch !!

Thanks all.

Archived