winter sports abroad

foxy

If you want to go to the East of Europe there are some good skiing places 'tho not 'trendy' they are very good value. Around the Czech / Polish border is Jested which is near the city of Liberec and every few years they have a big international skiing event there but as I said it's not on the TV programme schedulers radar so no one in UK knows about it.

Stayed at a site near Les Deux Alpes in France, good site with small restaurant and excellent toilet/shower block. It was at the bottom of the mountain only a 5 minute walk from the gondola lift that takes you to the resort where there are numerous slopes and lifts. On arrival they snow ploughed the road and our plot, then did the same before we left, so no need to fit the chains.

site name was Champ du Moulin, Les 2 Alpes

Hi

Whilst many people use aires at ski resorts we prefer to use sites as:-

You can use electric so an oil rad in the cab area ( which can be. Cold spot) is a boon.

Use the washing and washing up facilities so no problems with waste water freezing.

There is a good site at La Clusaz we have used a few times, you can walk to the town, or ski down, take the lifts then ski back to the site. Also lots of lifts and runs plus they get one of the biggest snow accumulations in the French alps.

W went this year and had a great time. We needed chains on the site and on the day we left as about 12 inches of snow fell the previous evening but the owners cleared the roads with their bobcat.

Won't be going skiing 2014 as heading off to see northern lights( not in moTorhome) but hope to go jan 2015 ( I like to plan ahead).

Have a great trip

Peter

We ski for about two months every year, used to be longer, but would not even consider taking the van. I have two friends who do and they seem to spend their time sorting out the problems caused by the cold weather and snow. If you do go I would strongly advise you stay on a site, if on an aire I would take a generator. We ski at a place called St. Gervais les Bain and my friends both park up in the ski lift cark park along with others, depends when you are going I would guess the lift company would not take kindly to this in Feb. Their is an aire in St. G. as well which is well within walking distance of the lifts, nice old town as well. Just up the valley, in Les Contamines, is a site with full facilities also within walking distance of the lifts, never stayed but again my friends do for a bit and they reckon it is ok. You can buy a ski pass that covers both resorts so you can move between them if you wish.

I was trying to keep St G a secret, been there for the last four years. Les Contamines is a drive, it's not linked, but Megeve is, and that is high end fashion, full of Russians. Last year there was a BMW polo event, horses on snow! This took over the main car park. I Took the horse drawn ski taxi, calouche, across the town to the other slopes. The Aire by the patinoire in St G is very basic, and the car park at the lift very busy at weekends. (So we use my mate's apartment)

Archived