Tyre noise

davidmac

Hi I have an 'A' class with 16'' steel wheels.When driving the most noise comes from the tyres so as the tyres need replacing through age I was thinking of replacing the steel wheels with alloys. Does anyone know if alloys are quieter than steel wheels.

Regards David

davidmac - 2013-09-07 8:32 PM

Does anyone know if alloys are quieter than steel wheels.

Regards David

Hi David, there may well be some benefit in changing to alloys; but I'd investigate tyre construction and tyre pressures first, could be more cost effective as well

good luck

alan b

No would be my view having just changed my A class for one with alloys.

However, I don't think it is as simple as that. For example, the engine is quieter so I am more likely to hear other noises. I know road surfaces seem to have a big impact on tyre noise because they use a different road surface on high volume roads near villages in rural areas.

Whilst you perceive your tyres are noisy, and I perceive alloys won't make any difference, you could check your tyre manufacturers website to see if they give the noise levels for your tyre. To be honest, unless you have a scientific way of measuring the noise, you are left with dealing with your perception.

I have never seen any claim for the benefits of alloy wheels that says they reduce noise. Improve the looks, reduce brake temperatures, reduce weight, increase cornering [?] are the most quoted benefits. It may be because they are a lighter alloy, they will feel less clunky.

When you decide to replace, look at the noise levels of the different tyres you consider.

I'll also take this opportunity to congratulate on reducing all the other noises that seem to come with driving a motorhome. You seem to have done a great job on those.

Hi thanks for all your replies,I thought I had read somewhere that the difference in the density between steel and aluminium cut down on the transmition of noise and vibration,can't find it now so not to bother.The m/h is plated at 4150kg and runnig weight is about 3900kg so it needs 116 load rated tyres. Looking at db ratings Goodyear G91 are 69 (£117) Michelin Agllis 70(£165) Runway Enduro 70 (£78).Runway are cheap and quiet but I don't really fancy them, so will probably go for the Goodyears.I will wait until next Feb/ March time before geting the new tyres so in the meantime will mess about with new thick carpet and underlay in the cab area to see if that helps.

The back of the m/h is not too bad for noise it is very well put together, bits off the cooker are wraped in kitchen tissue and going round all the joints on the drop down bed with a kids paintbrush and WD40 stopped all the squeaks from that.

Thanks again regards David

Archived