Truma combi 4 hot water query

bolero boy

When we are on EHU and use the hot water only setting (60 deg C) the water is lovely and hot and we easily get two hot showers.

Sometimes (and more so as the weather gets a little cooler) I use the setting for heating plus hot water at 60 deg C. This does not seem to heat the water to the same temperature, apparent by having to turn the shower temp lever to a 'hotter' position. Also, the hot water runs out slightly quicker.......not good if second in the shower ( wife!).

I know that heating the water is a secondary function of the heating plus hot water, but I have left it until the indicator light for the heating phase has gone out which is all I can go on isn't it?

I guess I could heat the water first.....then use heating plush hot water, or use heating first then use hot water after?

It's just that, in winter, we want a warm van and piping hot water for a shower.

Would using gas make a difference or just complete the same process more quickly due to more power?

Thanks for any guidance.

Tend to agree with both respondents to a degree, although the thermostat is situated above the door as suggested. Could be cutting out before water is up to temp but water temp indicator is going out, strange.

Eddie, will try gas next time we are off grid and its a little colder (wife doesn't like the heating on......even with ice about, lol).

Guest JudgeMental
Yes Chris......womens thermostats can be very peculiar, I can be frozen and Mrs M is opening windows...but I still wake up freezing with no duvet. Maybe single beds the way forward:-S

JudgeMental - 2013-09-10 12:06 PM

Yes Chris......womens thermostats can be very peculiar, I can be frozen and Mrs M is opening windows...but I still wake up freezing with no duvet. -S

You sure you haven't got mrs ips there judge, sounds awfully familiar to me. LOL

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2013-09-10 12:22 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-09-10 12:06 PM

Yes Chris......womens thermostats can be very peculiar, I can be frozen and Mrs M is opening windows...but I still wake up freezing with no duvet. -S

You sure you haven't got mrs ips there judge, sounds awfully familiar to me. LOL

She is an attractive and gentle women, but in bed its like sleeping with a tiger.....scared to close my eyes *-)

I too am 'not too happy' with the performance of the Truma Combi 4E fitted to our new van, find the output poor and water heating only 'passable'. Compared to our previous van which had an Eberspacher Diesel/Electric system. Which worked great,even on electic only.

Wouldn't have another van with a Truma heater. They need to get their 'Act' together.

Have had it checked a couple of times, and have been told it is behaving 'as it should' ??

Pehaps a 7.6 metre van should have had a 6kw heater ?

Have to carry an oil filled radiator now that Autumn is here. Ray

Ray, The Combi 4 heats the water fine when on water only.

Any Combi (4 or 6) will only have a 900/1800 W electric element so either will struggle in a big van unless you use gas.

Incidently, Mrs BB is also a real hottie and is prone to opening windows on a freezing evening as 'its so hot in here'.

Doncha just love 'em?

Archived