1st visit to nec

the general

Hi 'general', if you can give us an idea of what type of layout you are thinking of we can probably suggest some suitable ones to look at, other than that you'll just have to see what's on show as not all manufacturers will have vans at the show.

Also, worth considering, is whether or not you want a RHD or a LHD one, as you'll pay a fair bit less (as I understand) by buying in mainland Europe (Belgium or Germany usually), than in the UK.

Yes should have gave more info sorry

RHD REAR LOUNGE 55 inch? ( small ok as I am single traveller )

Small dinette traverse bed ok

Base vehicle.swb (5.4 mtrs ) upto lwb(6mtrs) a compact PVC

Have seen several PVC at shows during year some looked cheap builds ie Mickey Mouse catches , roller doors on cabinets looks cheap I want a good robust quality build PVC one that would stand long trips without shaking and falling apart i just finished 5000+ mls trip around uk in my basic transit but now I am approaching 60 I want a bit more comfort!! Budget upto£45/50 k maybe in the end buy a quality IH second hand. Can any PVC owners give me their favourite builds/base vehicle

Hi 'general..

Although we haven't got a PVC now, the '03 A/S Duetto (RWD Transit) we had a few years back(our first van)was streets ahead of the Compass Suntor CB that we followed it with...?! :-S

Although even that still had the odd "mickey Mouse" fitting/catch..as unfortunately, which ever manufacturer/converter you use, they all tend to be using the same windows/blinds/skylights etc, with their iffy plastic catches/components...

I'd like to think that some of the more "bespoke"/lower volume converters( eg IH and Murvi etc) would offer better, more durable build quality but having never owned one, I can't really say...

I tend to agree that it it'd probably make sense to looking at a decent used( and sorted!) quality item..

Very good build quality from Murvi - that's why people hold on to them - and the awards they have had over the years must be a good sign.

IH also look pretty solid.

Good luck with your choice.

( Just take your time and hopefully get it right ! )

;-)

We have visited NEC (too) many times whilst searching for our present van. Our critria meant that ducato/tranny/master/sprinter PVC MWB/LWB where all looked at, we found that this would take us 1 day. with two days you should be able to look at every PVC then go back for more detailed look.

the general - 2013-09-12 6:43 PM

Yes should have gave more info sorry

RHD REAR LOUNGE 55 inch? ( small ok as I am single traveller )

Small dinette traverse bed ok

Base vehicle.swb (5.4 mtrs ) upto lwb(6mtrs) a compact PVC

Have seen several PVC at shows during year some looked cheap builds ie Mickey Mouse catches , roller doors on cabinets looks cheap I want a good robust quality build PVC one that would stand long trips without shaking and falling apart i just finished 5000+ mls trip around uk in my basic transit but now I am approaching 60 I want a bit more comfort!! Budget upto£45/50 k maybe in the end buy a quality IH second hand. Can any PVC owners give me their favourite builds/base vehicle

MMM's Buyers' Guide section indicates that (besides Vantage, East Neuk and IH) up-to-6m-long panel-van conversions with a rear lounge layout are currently marketed by Autocruise (Rhythm, Accent), Auto-Sleepers (Warwick Duo), Devon (Aztec, Monte Carlo), Laika (Sport 100) and Wildax (Aurora). Amongst these converters, the base-vehicle choices are Citroen Relay/Fiat Ducato/Peugeot Boxer or Renault Master/Vauxhall Vivaro (Devon, Vantage).

Specifying a rear-lounge layout and a maximum length of 6 metres as 'must haves' means (as I'm sure you appreciate) that you are limiting your choices severely. For example, many people would consider a Mercedes Sprinter or VW Crafter to be the best bet for long-term reliability, but nobody seems to market a sub-6m PVC version with a rear-lounge layout. Are you fussy about motors with cam-belts? If so you'd need to avoid PVCs with the Fiat 2.3litre powerplant.

A company called "Moto-Trek" will be exhibiting on Stand 11-40 at the NEC Show. They produce well-priced, well-specified PVCs under the "Leisure-Treka" name.

http://www.moto-trek.co.uk/motorhome/test/technical-information

All Leisure-Trekas are built on the 6.36m-long Peugeot Boxer, so exceed your 6m limit. Nevertheless, it would be worth you visiting their stand as specification/price seems very attractive.

I'm not sure if Carthago will have a stand at the October NEC Show but, if so, it might be worth you seeing if the "Malibu" PVC is being exhibited.

http://www.premiummotorhomes.com/carthagomotorhomes/malibu/carthagomalibu

Neither of the Malibu models meet both of your length/layout prerequisites, but the quoted price (from £38,500) is interesting and Carthago is renowned for its build quaity and style. (Just look at the photos.)

As you've got a pretty good idea what you want, you might also want to consider having a PVC built to your particular specification. This company has been around for more than 20 years and has a good reputation for quality conversions:

http://youngconversions.com/index.html

I forgot about Shire Conversions. Their Phoenix 3 model

http://www.shiremotorhomes.co.uk/Phoenix3motorhome.html

is well specified and priced, and meets your length/layout requirements.

The "View PDF Specifications" button on the Phoenix 3 webpage doesn't seem to work (for me) and I'm pretty sure the 2012/2013 Shire brochure I've got is outdated.

The NEC Show's exhibitor-list indicates Shire Conversions will be on Stand 11-110.

This 2012 thread may be of interest

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Shire-Conversions/29036/

Archived