Lake Como

Gwendolyn

Sorry to ask this again….

Please can anyone recommend sites around Lake Como? I know there was a thread on this some time ago [i possibly posted the OP] but I have tried the “search” in vain [internet intermittent atm] and so am repeating the request. We are hoping to get away from the awful weather where we are, and Lake Como beckons.

Help….once more…

Cheers, and gratitude,

Gwen

Guest JudgeMental

There are a few sites but they are thin on the ground, have never used any of them. we overnighted on way to and from Lake garda in August and just stayed on Port by lake both nights..it is convenient if you want to get a head start through Gotthard tunnel!. The italian lakes are beautiful but is the equivalent of Beverly hills/cote de azur so dont expect cheap sites.....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Lake%20Como&county=Italy

http://en.camping.info/italy/lombardy/lake-como/campsites

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-12 8:45 AM

Like Eddie hints: the epitome of killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

No judgement implied as I accept completely that some enjoy being the ''victim' of a full-on tourist experience.

One of our top 10 places to avoid.

Well thank you for that really informative reply. That helps us a great deal.

We happen to like exploring the Italian Lakes area and have stayed on sites around Lake Garda a few times, and Lake Maggiore once previously. Using Camping Cheques and the ACSI card makes it very affordable. We drove along one side of Lake Como a couple of years ago and thought it would be pleasant to stay a few days and take a lake steamer to some of the towns.

Thank you for the first reply. I have checked the links and recognise one of the sites as being the one recommended previously, and it was that recommendation which I was hoping to find.

I loathe the tourism snobbery which sometimes rears its head on here: the “I’m a traveller; you’re a mere tourist” attitude.

Gwen

we are at lake Garda at the moment Piantelle Camping, good size pitch with water free wifi nice pool, quiet, good showers, private beach 16euro a day on ACSI a bit more if you want a pitch by the lake. We are staying a few more days as the weather is good.

Gwendolyn - 2013-09-12 9:59 AM

No judgement implied as I accept completely that some enjoy being the 'victim' of a full-on tourist experience.

We happen to like exploring the Italian Lakes area and have stayed on sites around Lake Garda a few times, and Lake Maggiore once previously. Using Camping Cheques and the ACSI card makes it very affordable. We drove along one side of Lake Como a couple of years ago and thought it would be pleasant to stay a few days and take a lake steamer to some of the towns.

Thank you for the first reply. I have checked the links and recognise one of the sites as being the one recommended previously, and it was that recommendation which I was hoping to find.

I loathe the tourism snobbery which sometimes rears its head on here: the “I’m a traveller; you’re a mere tourist” attitude.

Gwen

Chill out lady, in your haste to chastise you must have missed the bit where I wrote:

"No judgement implied as I accept completely that some enjoy being the 'victim' of a full-on tourist experience".

I maybe should have written 'subject' not 'victim' but confess that I try to inject a bit of dry humour here and there; sadly it is mostly lost on those who sit upon such high hoses. Having a chortle at the irony of your 'snobbery' assertion, incidentally.

I get and respect that people like different things, I learned it when I was about three.

Just wanted to give you the heads-up that the area is very heavily touristed with all the associated trappings.

It may well have "helped you a great deal".

Pardon me.

Hope you find a nice site and enjoy yourself.

mildi - 2013-09-12 10:47 AM

we are at lake Garda at the moment Piantelle Camping, good size pitch with water free wifi nice pool, quiet, good showers, private beach 16euro a day on ACSI a bit more if you want a pitch by the lake. We are staying a few more days as the weather is good.

Thanks. Good weather is what we are seeking. Torrential rain where we are atm. Plan to spend some time in the Garda area as well as Como.

Cheers

Gwen

Guest JudgeMental

Indeed..... Crinkles I dont normally bother looking at madams posts...but cant resist looking at Italy

there are no (decent) ACSI sites around lake Garda that I have seen.....its like expecting one in Knightsbridge *-) Parking starting to become an issue, not anywhere as bad as here! but getting worse...

W normally cycle everywhere but as I had the sprained ankle I did take the van out a few days when it was to far to cycle due to ankle..it was then that we had trouble parking. was really annoyed that after driving up to Bellagio on Como, I could not park and have lunch in the hotel we spent a week of our honeymoon in!:-S

We love Italy and go every year, but is in no way as easy motorhoming as france but france leaves me cold...and normally wet! :D

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-12 11:15 AM

Gwendolyn - 2013-09-12 9:59 AM

No judgement implied as I accept completely that some enjoy being the 'victim' of a full-on tourist experience.

Gwen

Chill out lady, in your haste to chastise you must have missed the bit where I wrote:

"No judgement implied as I accept completely that some enjoy being the 'victim' of a full-on tourist experience".

I maybe should have written 'subject' not 'victim' but confess that I try to inject a bit of dry humour here and there; sadly it is mostly lost on those who sit upon such high hoses. Having a chortle at the irony of your 'snobbery' assertion, incidentally.

I get and respect that people like different things, I learned it when I was about three.

Just wanted to give you the heads-up that the area is very heavily touristed with all the associated trappings.

It may well have "helped you a great deal".

Pardon me.

Hope you find a nice site and enjoy yourself.

I'm sure we will. Know how 'touristy' the area is, as been many times. But I kind of over look that as I like the stunning scenery - and the ice cream!

Gwen

:$

Indeed.

No hint of acknowledgement though.

*-)

Hey, these things really do help with internetiquette!

Occurs to me it might be a good area for the old demountable idea, freedom to roam and park with the cool box whilst the box was safely on site.

One day the idea will catch on and do away with most of the a-framing trauma etc.

Guest JudgeMental
crinklystarfish - 2013-09-12 11:56 AM

:$

Indeed.

No hint of acknowledgement though.

*-)

Hey, these things really do help with internetiquette!

Occurs to me it might be a good area for the old demountable idea, freedom to roam and park with the cool box whilst the box was safely on site.

One day the idea will catch on and do away with most of the a-framing trauma etc.

it was after this summers parking difficulties, that I am thinking of a demountable again! there was a thread recently started by Pepe...you were probably away. since I last had one over 7 years ago, design has not moved on at all! expect price have become crazy... Have more or less given up as they are now so expensive and Mrs M refuses to go back to that small a space + difficulty carrying e bikes *-)

The emotions choice on this site lamentably poor...its frustrating..not many know how to play on the world wide inter webby properly, hence the numerous misunderstandings :D

Gwen, we have stayed on a site in Como itself a couple of times but can not remember the name. As far as can recall it is just off the autostart taking the turn for Como north, it is clearly signed. Stayed once in summer when it was a dust bowl and once in late October when it was a mud heap (we really enjoy sites!!). Plus point is however, that can walk into town and then catch steamers up lake etc. Lake Como is really nice, as are all the Itallian lakes, but Como itself is rather industrialised.

Hope you find better weather you are looking for. Don't head for eastern France if it is hot sunny weather you seek, we are now on one of favourite Aires at Mouzon, en route to wine festival in Luxembourg, and yes it is cool with rain,cloud and some sun. But sat here watching the boats come and go, after pottering round the local market this morning, before heading for a canalside walk followed by a meal in a good local resturant then weather not a worry.

robertandjean - 2013-09-12 12:26 PM

Gwen, we have stayed on a site in Como itself a couple of times but can not remember the name. As far as can recall it is just off the autostart taking the turn for Como north, it is clearly signed. Stayed once in summer when it was a dust bowl and once in late October when it was a mud heap (we really enjoy sites!!). Plus point is however, that can walk into town and then catch steamers up lake etc. Lake Como is really nice, as are all the Itallian lakes, but Como itself is rather industrialised.

Hope you find better weather you are looking for. Don't head for eastern France if it is hot sunny weather you seek, we are now on one of favourite Aires at Mouzon, en route to wine festival in Luxembourg, and yes it is cool with rain,cloud and some sun. But sat here watching the boats come and go, after pottering round the local market this morning, before heading for a canalside walk followed by a meal in a good local resturant then weather not a worry.

Thanks. We will head for Garda first, via Austria, and go to a site we've used previously. Then work westwards, so I'll see if I can locate that site.

Just want somewhere we we can relax for some time, hopefully in sunshine, sitting out reading. Few lake trips. That kind of thing.

The rain began when we were at Ypres, accompanied us to Luxembourg, and is still with us in Germany, but heavier! So tour of Bavaria & Austria ditched - again. Last year, around this time, we cut and ran to Spain. But thought that we'd go back to Italy this time as we are [realtively] nearer.

Hope weather perks up for your festival.

Cheers

Gwen

Gwen

I have stayed in Menaggio at Camping Europa - lovely town & setting but the site is awful! (Stuck in a 1960's time warp with rotting permanents all over the site. Roberto the owner is charming - a true Italian who talks a good talk! Worth a punt if you are self contained, simply to stay in Menaggio which is charming.

Also stayed at a site in Dongo to the NE. I think it was this one :-http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/italy/lombardy/campsite-magic-lake-112468/

Lovely people, good site facilities & restaurant - somewhat choc-a-block, but out of season very pleasant. Not ACSI, so around €20 in 2012 if I remember correctly.

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2013-09-12 6:38 PM

Gwen

I have stayed in Menaggio at Camping Europa - lovely town & setting but the site is awful! (Stuck in a 1960's time warp with rotting permanents all over the site. Roberto the owner is charming - a true Italian who talks a good talk! Worth a punt if you are self contained, simply to stay in Menaggio which is charming.

Also stayed at a site in Dongo to the NE. I think it was this one :-http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/italy/lombardy/campsite-magic-lake-112468/

Lovely people, good site facilities & restaurant - somewhat choc-a-block, but out of season very pleasant. Not ACSI, so around €20 in 2012 if I remember correctly.

Jeremy

Thanks a lot. I recognise the one at Dongo from the name – that’s the one previously recommended I do believe.

Might be worth trying the Menaggio one, for a night maybe, for the setting, and I’ll close my eyes to the site itself!

Cheers

Gwen

Hi,

We stayed at camping Europa at Mennagio a few years ago.

Not the most salubrious of sites and definitely not the place to just sit around although we had an almost lakeside view  -over the boatyard!!

but we just used it as a base for a couple of days as it was a short walk to the ferry where we bought one day foot passenger tickets and cruised across to Bellagio and Varenna and back via Bellagio again (unintentionally) as the routes and timetables are chaotic - but it was a beautiful sunny day out with no driving.

Steve

Two years ago we stayed at Camping Europa at Mennagio. There is a full account of our Italian Lakes trip here https://sites.google.com/site/hanktestsite2/blog/summer-2011/italy

We turned up the same day as the Italian President and ended up in the Motorcade. Its quite a good read about half way down.

I dont normally do campsites but didnt have a choice there and I kind of liked Camping Europa. Complete shambles. The leccy worked when it felt like it and was about half an amp and I didnt even dare look in the showers or toilets (assuming there was some).

Dont dismiss Lake Orta near Maggiore. To me its the prettiest of all the lakes and two free sostas!

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2013-09-13 3:54 PM

Dont dismiss Lake Orta near Maggiore. To me its the prettiest of all the lakes and two free sostas!

Cheers.....Do they have services, and are they near town etc.....

JudgeMental - 2013-09-13 4:37 PM

Barryd999 - 2013-09-13 3:54 PM

Cheers.....Do they have services, and are they near town etc.....

I think they do. The one we stayed at is up a hill above a stunning town. 45.7971 Decimal ° or 45 ° 47 '49'' Longitude (East) Decimal 8.41204

Its at the Sacra Monte at ORTA SAN GIULIO.

There are 21 chapels to look around on the hill all dedicated to St Francis of Assisi and stunning views of the lake from the top. The Sosta is nothing to write home about but its ok for a night or two. The location however is superb.

The other is over the other side of the lake at Maddon Del Sasso Decimal 45.78869 ° or 45 ° 47 '19'' Longitude (East) Decimal 8.37283

Its high up but the views from the top at the church are amazing. Not much else up there but the aire does I think have services.

Couple of campsites down the side of the lake that didnt look too expensive for the Italian Lakes.

Its only an hour from Cannobio on Maggiore which has a superb Sosta as well.

Archived