ACSI standards

Poppy

The ACSI scheme is a great scheme, hence its popularity. Its guide is a good guide, possibly the best, but it is just that, a guide. You can't expect a complete analysis for the whole season, nor can it guarantee good neighbours, it's not a golden bullet. They also have thousands of sites to check, it's quite a logistical job.

We have been on sites on the first day of opening, and others on the last. Each site obviously changes character and ambience throughout the year. Some I have thought overpriced even at ACSI reduced rates, most others at least OK.

Municipals are very often excellent, especially for the perhaps more limited requirements of MH owners. Clean toilets, pleasant not overcrowded site, good prices even at the height of the season. That gets our custom. We ourselves do seem to be using them more than ACSI sites recently, I suppose as we get more adventurous and confident, but we still carry the ACSI guide book for reference.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alan D - 2013-09-20 4:56 PM

I would have thought to stay on only 3 Acsi sites then it would be difficult to form an opinion.

The last site we hoped to stay on was in the Algarve where at reception you were given a map of the site specifically with the Acsi pitches marked. After a tour of the site, which was quite good and popular , all the Acsi plots were too poor for us to contemplate. We asked at reception again if we could have a better pitch whereon the lady became abusive and told us in no uncertain terms that we needed to pay extra.

We have found several sites that had empty pitches that were not Acsi plots.

Another favorite site now has divided up all the plots, sea view, large pitches and smaller pitches. You can`t blame them for charging more for the best spots.

We have used the Acsi book for many years and had plenty of good results, but like many others have found it`s just one more string to your bow.

Alan.

I am glad that you have picked up on my three sites as in did this specifically to indicate my experience. I could easily said of the sites we have visited but wanted to be realistic.

I would have thought to stay on only 3 Acsi sites then it would be difficult to form an opinion.

The last site we hoped to stay on was in the Algarve where at reception you were given a map of the site specifically with the Acsi pitches marked. After a tour of the site, which was quite good and popular , all the Acsi plots were too poor for us to contemplate. We asked at reception again if we could have a better pitch whereon the lady became abusive and told us in no uncertain terms that we needed to pay extra.

Another favorite site now has divided up all the plots, sea view, large pitches and smaller pitches. You can`t blame them for charging more for the best spots.

We have used the Acsi book for many years and had plenty of good results, but like many others have found it`s just one more string to your bow.

Alan.

I am glad that you have picked up on my three sites as in did this specifically to indicate my experience. I could easily said of the sites we have visited but wanted to be realistic.

Alan.

Have enjoyed most Acsi sites we have been to in France we are one in Verdun now it is overall a nice site but will use the van shower as we ard not impressed with the site ones. Found the Acsi sites in Germany terrible and gave up on them in favour of the Stelplatz which were great and cheaper. German site prizes are around €25 per night so €16 Is a good discount but they were not worth €6.

No doubt there are some good sites in Germany but we could not find them.

I will still be getting the Acsi card next year as it is a good starting point.

Guess ACSI and any other reviews have the same basic fact - they are as seen on a certain day each year or whatever. We have stayed at several, both listed and discounted ones, and generally find them pretty much Ok. You also have to bear in mind that especially in France, all sites will be under a great deal of pressure for most of July and August - today we are at Rochefort, (Charente Maretime) Municipal-is is 'complet' and we got the last emplacement.....we are the only non French I think! But site is acceptable, and esc value.

Guess ACSI and any other reviews have the same basic fact - they are as seen on a certain day each year or whatever. We have stayed at several, both listed and discounted ones, and generally find them pretty much Ok. You also have to bear in mind that especially in France, all sites will be under a great deal of pressure for most of July and August - today we are at Rochefort, (Charente Maretime) Municipal-is is 'complet' and we got the last emplacement.....we are the only non French I think! But site is acceptable, and esc value.

I think most of this string is based on several misconceptions. These misconceptions are a) that when one person, inspector or user-reporter, comments on a site, you will inevitably agree with their opinion: b) that once reported on a site will remain forever as seen on that day, c) that municipal sites are consistently good, d) that municipal sites are run by the municipality, e) that any guide is, or can ever be, wholly reliable as to quality, f) that UK club sites are Europe's finest, and g) that any site showing an ACSI logo is part of the ACSI discount scheme.

The truth is that with a), peoples' tastes and expectations vary, with b), that sites vary over time, and even within any given year, so that what was idyllic in June may be hell on earth in July, with c), that whereas many municipals are excellent, others are absolutely the pits, with d), that many are leased to/managed under contract by private operators, or have been sold to them, with e), that most guides are commercial ventures that, in one way or another, charge the site owner/operator for inclusion, with f), that there are any number of sites across Europe that equal, or exceed, the standards of the UK club sites, sometimes by a surprisingly wide margin, and with g) that they are not.

So, there is, IMO, no point or benefit in complaining generally, but possibly some point in warning others that a particular site was bad in a particular way on a particular date. Still less is there point in generalised complaining on this forum. If a site is unacceptable, go elsewhere. If a receptionist is rude, or unhelpful, go elsewhere. If you have stopped too late to be able to move on to another site, plan your trips to stop earlier, so that you can. There will always be the unexpected, pleasurable as well a disagreeable: you take it, or you leave it. It is part of the fun, and it is how you learn.

No-one forces anyone to go anywhere, or to stop anywhere. Don't rely on a single source of information, use up to date sources, and check wherever possible on the internet that sites are open/still exist. They are your choices, and bring your consequences. Get on with it. It is called life!

I have been using the ACSI card for 4 years now. For the first time this year I found on three of the sites I visited the poorest pitches had been allocated to the ACSI scheme. On two of the sites they were just impossible to use.

If sites are going to do this, ACSI should be indicating this in their guide otherwise it makes a mockery of the site descriptions.

I am not likely to buy an ACSI card next year for what I see is a growing practice.

peedee

peedee - 2013-09-22 7:51 AM

I have been using the ACSI card for 4 years now. For the first time this year I found on three of the sites I visited the poorest pitches had been allocated to the ACSI scheme. On two of the sites they were just impossible to use.

If sites are going to do this, ACSI should be indicating this in their guide otherwise it makes a mockery of the site descriptions.

I am not likely to buy an ACSI card next year for what I see is a growing practice.

peedee

Peedee like you we have been very satisfied with the ACSI sites until this year.I do wonder if the fact that the ACSI put pressure on them to stick to 2012 prices has meant thay they have had to cut back to make ends meet.Don't know.

Hi Poppy, I know how you feel because we stayed last night in a very poor site in Issoire near Clermont Ferrand. Gourmet food as advertised was appauling. Real ping ping stuff. But hey tonight we have been blessed. Montrichard number 1512. Amazing. Very clean, Heated pool to 26. huge plots, but I haven't tried the restaurant yet!!!!! However they get top marks for the rest at 14Euros. Wish we could stay longer but the ferry calls. Carrefour next door for the wine we might have forgotten to buy. Oh do we really have to go home?

Just returned from France and having stayed on several ACSI sites. We have found them to have accurate descriptions and generally very good facilities and represent decent value for money. We have never been directed to a site unlike the grupenfuhrer who seem to run English club sites!

We have used the system for several years now and have never been disapointed

nona farm - 2013-09-22 5:36 PM

Hi Poppy, I know how you feel because we stayed last night in a very poor site in Issoire near Clermont Ferrand. Gourmet food as advertised was appauling. Real ping ping stuff. But hey tonight we have been blessed. Montrichard number 1512. Amazing. Very clean, Heated pool to 26. huge plots, but I haven't tried the restaurant yet!!!!! However they get top marks for the rest at 14Euros. Wish we could stay longer but the ferry calls. Carrefour next door for the wine we might have forgotten to buy. Oh do we really have to go home?

Oh dear, here we go again! "A very poor site in Issoire". What site is this please, the municipal? If so, it is not in the ACSI discount scheme for 2013. If not, then what site is it? It is unfair to name the town and discredit the site without being specific. The criticism then appears to apply to any/all sites in that area, good or bad, and helps no-one.

There is no advertising of "gourmet food" by ACSI that I am aware of. Where do ACSI make this claim for this mysterious Issoire site, please?

But do you really expect to get gourmet food on a campsite? I don't, and very rarely eat at campsite restaurants for just that reason. Don't campsites and top chefs strike you as a bit of an odd combination? Campsites do pitches, toilets and showers. Restaurants do food. Horses for courses?

peedee - 2013-09-22 7:51 AM

peedee

So, have you advised ACSI of this, and asked them if it is accepted practise? They can hardly be expected to know what site owners do after the inspector has left, if no-one tells them. It would be fairer, and more helpful all round, to at least give them the chance to take this up with the site owner and, if it can't be resolved, remove the site from their listings.

The ACSI scheme advertizes 9800 inspected sites.You are invited to assume from that they are all of at least an acceptable (note I say acceptable not good) standard.The ACSI scheme don't really care what you think of their sites, they are only really interested in the money they make from the scheme.If people vote with their feet and they start to loose income THEN they will care.

The caravan club publishes an excellent guide where they invite their members to write in and say what they think of the sites they have visited and when the last report came in.They do not claim to have a] inspected them or b] approved them.At least you know where you stand.

Bien Assise as one has an excellent restaurant and I am sure that there are many more.You may well choose a site that advertizes a gourmet restaurant for the ease of a short walk there and a slight longer stagger back, especially if you have travelled a long way and are tired.I would be a bit peed off if I found that frozen burgers and chips were their idea of gourmet food, especially if they charge gourmet prices.

Why should you have to tour round at the end of your journey to find an acceptable site? It will inevitably happen occasionally but it shouldn't happen too often.

Guest JudgeMental
Bien Assise restaurant has changed a lot! now very smart and modern and the big guy at table and waitresses replaced with young women...all the old charm gone and food was poor when I had a meal there on way back from Spain last May. The food was the main disappointment.... awful. and at over £50 for moi dining alone (Mrs M flew back) it wont see us again...

JudgeMental - 2013-09-23 1:03 PM

Bien Assise restaurant has changed a lot! now very smart and modern and the big guy at table and waitresses replaced with young women...all the old charm gone and food was poor when I had a meal there on way back from Spain last May. The food was the main disappointment.... awful. and at over £50 for moi dining alone (Mrs M flew back) it wont see us again...

Ah well we enjoyed it Judge.Different tastes I supose.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2013-09-23 1:29 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-09-23 1:03 PM

Ah well we enjoyed it Judge.Different tastes I supose.

when were you there? have been eating there 20 years +, a poor piece of beef badly cooked is just that..sauce tasted like something out of a packet, and so bad I had to leave it, that after 9 hr drive up to Calais, mushroom omelette and frites in the bar would have been a better choice......maybe a change of ownership would explain it, not one familiar face

Acsi is the same as any other scheme, is nothing is perfect and if they actually inspected every site every year, the cost would be much higher. We've had good and bad sitesover the years but we can always guarantee to have got our subscription money back just by asking others. For instance early this month we had3 nights at Pamplona at 16€ a night, chatting to a couple in a motorhome who had never heard of the scheme, found they were paying 27.50€ a night!!!

sshortcircuit - 2013-09-19 9:12 PM

I am on my 3rd ACSI site in Spain. The first was clearly described with road noise, which it was, but bus stop at the door to Valencia made it tolerable. The second was in Olivia and could have been better described as it was a bit isolated and tired. I am now in Javea and it is first class and well described. I think you have to read into the description if you can and take a chance and if not happy move on. I will have stayed 6 nights on ACSI site and have well recovered my cost and will certainly purchase next year.

EDIT I just don't believe it, 10:30 at night and a generator starts up. Have a look around and find a lorry with an elevating platform and a man at the top trimming the palm trees and this could go on all night, well possibly as I hear a bit of shouting so will wait and see. Now should I report this to ACSI ?????

Hello which pitch are you on, we've just arrived today

Archived