ACSI standards

Poppy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread.

I use the ACSI dvd (find it much better value for money than the book) and stayed on a couple of bad sites this year. Both fairly large yet one of the sites had just one shower which was in a disgusting state.....cracked and broken tiles harbouring God knows what germs......also sinks falling away from the wall. The other site had plenty of showers and toilets etc, but the entire building stunk of stale pee and sewerage.....indeed the shower drains turned out to be open drainage.

I relayed the 'info' about both these sites to a friend of mine who works for ACSI and he has passed it to the relevant inspectors for each site.

When it comes to sites I don't mind 'basic'.......but under no circumstances will I accept unhygienic toilet/shower blocks.

gwyn - 2013-09-23 6:09 PM

Acsi is the same as any other scheme, is nothing is perfect and if they actually inspected every site every year.......

Gwyn

I can assure you they do. The first thing Charlie asked me when I reported these two site was if the ACSI sticker had been 'signed off' for 2013 by an Inspector. Both had.

Brian Kirby - 2013-09-22 10:26 PM

nona farm - 2013-09-22 5:36 PM

Hi Poppy, I know how you feel because we stayed last night in a very poor site in Issoire near Clermont Ferrand. Gourmet food as advertised was appauling. Real ping ping stuff. But hey tonight we have been blessed. Montrichard number 1512. Amazing. Very clean, Heated pool to 26. huge plots, but I haven't tried the restaurant yet!!!!! However they get top marks for the rest at 14Euros. Wish we could stay longer but the ferry calls. Carrefour next door for the wine we might have forgotten to buy. Oh do we really have to go home?

Oh dear, here we go again! "A very poor site in Issoire". What site is this please, the municipal? If so, it is not in the ACSI discount scheme for 2013. If not, then what site is it? It is unfair to name the town and discredit the site without being specific. The criticism then appears to apply to any/all sites in that area, good or bad, and helps no-one.

There is no advertising of "gourmet food" by ACSI that I am aware of. Where do ACSI make this claim for this mysterious Issoire site, please?

But do you really expect to get gourmet food on a campsite? I don't, and very rarely eat at campsite restaurants for just that reason. Don't campsites and top chefs strike you as a bit of an odd combination? Campsites do pitches, toilets and showers. Restaurants do food. Horses for courses?

Could it be this one? http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe/france/auvergne/puy-de-dome/campsite-municipal-du-mas-100399/

PJay - 2013-09-22 4:50 PM

Just ordered next years book. So let's hope the trend does not carry on.

The only site we ever had a problem (re using ACSI) was at Bonterra Park in Spain, otherwise not had a problem yet!!

PJay

Pauline, what was your problem at Bonterra Park?

We stayed there for quite a few weeks last year and used ACSI without a problem.

I know that if we had only been staying a few days we would have been asked to stay at the top of the site as they reserve their 'sunny winter' pitches for longer term customers. As soon as we said we were staying for a few weeks we were told we could use any pitch.

Not only that, we actually moved to a more sunny pith a few days into the stay.

Also, re paying, we were told about a long term rate and at the end of our stay they would calculate the price using the ACSI cost and also the special rate with seperate electricity added and we could then have the best price. For those not using EHU this might have been a cheaper option.

We found the site and the staff tremendously helpful despite the obvious large turnover of vans.

Will be calling in on our next Spanish jaunt.

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2013-09-24 8:39 AM

Well Judge we have had several very good meals at Bien Assise and their little takeaway pretty decent as well.

Do yourselves a favour and visit Italy! :-D

bolero boy - 2013-09-24 1:48 PM

PJay - 2013-09-22 4:50 PM

Just ordered next years book. So let's hope the trend does not carry on.

The only site we ever had a problem (re using ACSI) was at Bonterra Park in Spain, otherwise not had a problem yet!!

PJay

Pauline, what was your problem at Bonterra Park?

We stayed there for quite a few weeks last year and used ACSI without a problem.

I know that if we had only been staying a few days we would have been asked to stay at the top of the site as they reserve their 'sunny winter' pitches for longer term customers. As soon as we said we were staying for a few weeks we were told we could use any pitch.

Not only that, we actually moved to a more sunny pith a few days into the stay.

Also, re paying, we were told about a long term rate and at the end of our stay they would calculate the price using the ACSI cost and also the special rate with seperate electricity added and we could then have the best price. For those not using EHU this might have been a cheaper option.

We found the site and the staff tremendously helpful despite the obvious large turnover of vans.

Will be calling in on our next Spanish jaunt.

Hi Chris

We have stayed at BP, three times. The first two , were fine, nice open pitch, large and with tap on pitch The staff pleasant .and friendly

The last time we were given a small pitch, which we could hardly get on and right in the tree,s (So unable to use TV), no tap or drainage on pitch. we asked if we could have anther pitch , near where we stayed before ( in fact the same one) Was told no it was reserved, but no-one went on it all the time we were there. I thought there less permanent Spainish last time,

Must say restaurant was Ok, and the Super market opposite convienient , but with out transport not a lot to do, having done it all locally before. Just our personal opinion. I know lots stay there all winter

Horses for courses ! Would 'not do for us all to like the same sites, would it? We've found some nice sites in northern Spain, that we like, don't need swimming pools etc

Ant way off to France on Thursday

PJay

As I said, longer staying ACSI customers were invited to use the same area as other long stayers, the area at the top in the trees seems only to be kept for quick turnaround ACSI vans.

We have our bikes and we like walking in the hills so were didn't get bored, also took the bus to a number of places.

We will probably call in next time we are down that way but would like to explore some more regions further south.

Eddie, yes we will be diving off to Italy next year with luck, have spent plenty of time there minus the van so looking forward to a much longer stay next time.

Have stayed on lots of ACSI sites this year during two trips to France, and had no problems with pitches or standards, and in fact are on one at the moment.

Whilst I haven't read every word or every posting - and someone may already have mentioned this - ACSI do ask for feedback on the sites, and there is a link in the ACSI sites book to their website to provide this. It's the same principle as with the CC Continental guide, and they can only update their own information if we as 'end users' provide this to them.

I certainly agree that where there are specific problems then this should be brought to their attention, but as a general rule, it is still back to the 'horses for courses' idea, as it will depend on dates/time of visits/ weather etc as to what view we take of these sites and locations. I have read some information on sites in the CC guide, and often wonder if it is actually the same site as quoted!

We are at an acsi site (javea camp) and its brilliant. Roomy pitches, not at all busy, 10 mins on bike to beach, port or lidls. Showers are the roomiest we've ever seen with plenty hot water to showers, washing up etc and NOT on timed push button. Friendly staff and swimming pool with sun loungers. Might actually stay a week instead of our usual 3 nights. Oh and the wi fi although not free is only 5€ for a week and good connection.

gwyn - 2013-09-25 11:56 AM

We are at an acsi site (javea camp) and its brilliant. Roomy pitches, not at all busy, 10 mins on bike to beach, port or lidls. Showers are the roomiest we've ever seen with plenty hot water to showers, washing up etc and NOT on timed push button. Friendly staff and swimming pool with sun loungers. Might actually stay a week instead of our usual 3 nights. Oh and the wi fi although not free is only 5€ for a week and good connection.

probably plenty of room GWYN, because it is a way out. we don't all have transport (Bikes) so how long to walk to beach, port (Don;t do Lidl) ?That's why we like Calpe , can WALK to beach, Port and several supermarkets.in less than ten mins. Ok for caravans then.

Excellent site and although I am suffering with scyatica could easily walk to the old town which is full of character and then down to the beach. Will definitely visit again

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-09-25 10:07 PM

Excellent site and although I am suffering with scyatica could easily walk to the old town which is full of character and then down to the beach. Will definitely visit again

Honestly!....Don't suffer go see a good osteopath .....heading down to benidorm Monday week, was expecting temps in early 20's but 14 day forecast high 20's straight through..25 deg over night... :-D

Was going to go to Javea as my mate has a house there, but had to come home due to family problems....

• 2 weeks later...

On day eleven of a six month tour of France, Spain and Portugal. Finding a lack of choice of ACSI sites as many are now closed. Of the three we have stayed at so far all have been disappointing, possibly because they are due to close soon. The three we have stayed at are: Les Mouettes at Veules- Les-Roses, which claims to have room for large Motorhomes - but only if you are happy to scrape the hedges on the sides of the campsite road; Le Havre des Bernieres at Bernieres sur Mere; and now at Au Petit Port de l'Homeau near La Rochelle. At this site there were no staff on duty all day yesterday despite bookings. The only way to book in was by phoning the contact number to get someone to appear and open the barrier. That also meant that the toilet, showers etc were not cleaned.

We have been far more impressed with the Aires we have used; clean, decent services and generally in far better locations. We recommend Le Touquet Paris Plage 2, Honfleur, Restigne and Azay Le Rideau. As we travel further south we will see if things change. Incidentally we have not found any suitable France Passion sites on our route so far, due to the size of our motorhome. If you are over 3.5 tonnes your choice is very restricted (Bella Burstner is 5 tonnes and 8.76 metres long).

Mad Mitch

Archived