Huttoft Car Park, Lincs (overlooking the sea)

longbarn

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With you there, we've just come back from France and paid no more than 9 Euros including Elect and Water, in some wonderful places by the side of rivers,lakes and cliffs with great views.

Its East Lindsey Council again. We copped £30 parking fine in a Horncastle car park next to Tesco. Hidden i.Seems they don't want our money. Viva la France.

So do you all reckon that the council are just picking on MHers and have just done this out of spite and without ANY provocation then?..*-)

This from earlier in the year..

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/Travel-and-Sites/Lincolnshre-County-Council-to-Ban-Overnight-Stays-in-Coastal-Car-Parks/_ch1_nw2700_pg1

..maybe you should be blaming the folk (MHers AND car drivers),who just dump their filth...

They seem to be trying to put the blame on M/Hers.

We've been there when the bins have been overflowing. People have left rubbish in bags and the Gulls have scattered it. I and others have picked up, but the next week its the same.

Yes, there are a few who obviously stay for weeks on end. That's not right, but why do they have to do it?

Why not put a charge for a 24 hour parking with a max stay of 48 hours. Make money that way and everybody happy. Except the camp site owners, but at high season try and get into one!

It works in France!

They seem to be trying to put the blame on M/Hers.

We've been there when the bins have been overflowing. People have left rubbish in bags and the Gulls have scattered it. I and others have picked up, but the next week its the same.

Yes, there are a few who obviously stay for weeks on end. That's not right, but why do they have to do it?

Why not put a charge for a 24 hour parking with a max stay of 48 hours. Make money that way and everybody happy. Except the camp site owners, but at high season try and get into one!

It works in France!

But again, they didn't just pull this idea out thin air, did they...

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/Plan-ban-coastal-car-park-camping-Lincolnshire/story-18662683-detail/story.html#axzz2fcVuUoj1

..if everyone using these places and enjoying the "nice view", behaved responsibly and tidied up after themselves, then there probably wouldn't have been an issue....

...And if they had introduced a charge instead of the barriers, they would still have been howls of complaints.."Rip off Britain!"..blahblah.. ..

(Maybe folk on the Continent just don't chuck their rubbish over the hedge, nor empty their cassette loos into the sand dunes..?)

pepe63 - 2013-09-22 12:41 PM

...And if they had introduced a charge instead of the barriers, they would still have been howls of complaints.."Rip off Britain!"..blahblah.. ..

(Maybe folk on the Continent just don't chuck their rubbish over the hedge, nor empty their cassette loos into the sand dunes..?)

Hi Pepe;

I doubt if they are any more or less responsible than we are Pepe, and I've seen French motorhomers arriving late and leaving early, to avoid the hosts, at France Passion locations, so it would be dangerous to generalise.

I have a feeling that the way we appreciate France might have something to do with "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite" and just might be the key to what we Brits like about France,

cheers

alan b

Yes, Alan, that last sentence of mine was somewhat "tongue in cheek"...;-)

I suppose I was just curious as to how "less-formal" camping is supposedly able to function on the Continent without getting fouled up and ruined by selfish people littering/abusing the facilities...?

Maybe it's just that we don't get to hear of their disgruntled locals, complaining about littering, filth, noise etc,in the same way as we get to hear about complaints concerning locations in the UK ? :-S

To me, it always seems just too easy to simply blame "the Council" and/or "local campsite owners".

Surely if a groups' presence was nothing but positive, then there'd be very little to complain about....

Bang on pepe, much of the above is rose-tinted delusion and many francophiles who think they are in 'le motorhome utopia' may well have inadvertently contributed to nuisance.

Just one of dozens of articles here:

http://www.lindependant.fr/2013/04/07/camping-car-la-guerre-est-declaree,1743098.php

Any doubters? try 'camping car interdit' in a search engine.

I've come across motorhome bans / no overnight camping signs / restricted parking overnight signs in public places all over europe and also in Australia, Iceland, Scandinavia, Canada and probably others I've now forgotton about.

In 'le utopia' a couple of years ago we pulled onto a bit of 'waste' ground down a quiet dead end road on the outskirts of a small village. It was out of the way, not overlooked by property, in nice surroundings, just the kind of place we stay at. We had been there about 10 minutes when a nice French bloke, in very good English, asked if we'd mind moving on as the village was sick and tired of noisy motorhomers gathering on this bit of ground and leaving litter etc. We apologised for his inconvenience and went on our way.

One particular car park we came across in Techendorf in Austria had clear signs in several languages banning motorhomes between (from memory) 1900-0700. It was, notwithstanding, stayed on overnight by about a dozen Italian vans, the occupants of which were just rising from their slumber at about 1000am. I was staggered by their ignorance.

I could go on...

I'm completely with the residents around Huttoft and Lincs council.

Its utterly naive to imagine that offence and nuisance isn't being caused to some residents at least when 'communities' of motorhomers gather in any part of Europe.

Anyone that doesn't get this is deluded.

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-23 9:22 AM

Its utterly naive to imagine that offence and nuisance isn't being caused to some residents at least when 'communities' of motorhomers gather in any part of Europe.

Anyone that doesn't get this is deluded.

Agreed.

I used to think that a UK equivalent of an aire would be a good idea, and might encourage tourism.

I no longer think that. Gatherings of motorhomes, overnighting on public land adjacent to the highway; not something we find attractive.

regards

alan b

As a local lincolnshire lass i have been enjoying HUttoft and Moggs since i passed my test 23 years ago. Most of the rubbish is dumped by families in cars i have seen this and challenged them, they also let their dogs mess too. We have stayed over many times in a car and felt safe due to the Mhomers, now we are Mhomers ourselves and on our first day of having it drove to Huttoft. ( yesterday), they were finishing the barriers, i couldnt believe it, so we went to moggs eye where they have a barrier that has been cut off.

I am going to write to my local MP in lincoln as we are supposed to be in a democracy and tell him to take it higher. I would pay for evening stay overs but to stop us in the day too!!!!!!!

We left Mogs at about 4.30 yesterday and heard that the police were moving on Mhomers from huttoft, however, they cannot do that as they need an eviction warrant and this is a civil matter. We need to take a stand and bombard the useless beaurocrats who havent a clue!

hideyspidey - 2013-09-23 12:02 PM

We left Mogs at about 4.30 yesterday and heard that the police were moving on Mhomers from huttoft, however, they cannot do that as they need an eviction warrant and this is a civil matter. We need to take a stand and bombard the useless beaurocrats who havent a clue!

Just to play Devil's Advocate... ;-)

If these were "Travellers" parked/pitched up "illegally", everyone would be shouting "..why don't the police just move them on?..why on earth do they need an Eviction Warrant?!...." etc..

So folk can't have it both ways....;-)

I expect the police are just asking them to move on similar to the way they would if they were "Travellers" pitched "illegally"..?

..the main difference being, the Mhers are actually going... (lol)

Not a comment for or against the OP but just to say that it with regular monotony that waste bins at car parks or lay byes are found to be overflowing.

If a particular spot is popular then it follows that more waste from picnics etc will be generated and therefore more bins need to be provided or collections need to be regulated accordingly.

Similarly, there is rarely a provision to recycle to any degree, with plastic, glass and general waste being lumped in together.

pepe63 - 2013-09-23 12:35 PM

hideyspidey - 2013-09-23 12:02 PM

Just to play Devil's Advocate... ;-)

If these were "Travellers" parked/pitched up "illegally", everyone would be shouting "..why don't the police just move them on?..why on earth do they need an Eviction Warrant?!...." etc..

So folk can't have it both ways....;-)

I expect the police are just asking them to move on similar to the way they would if they were "Travellers" pitched "illegally"..?

..the main difference being, the Mhers are actually going... (lol)

Fair point Pepe, but if the law was changed for 'trespass to become simply illegal rather than requiring a warrant, the true motorhomer would welcome this with open arms as they are generally prepared to play by the rules and pay where required. It s the travellers that play the long game with councils only leaving minutes before final deadlines have arrived.

bolero boy - 2013-09-23 3:50 PM

Not a comment for or against the OP but just to say that it with regular monotony that waste bins at car parks or lay byes are found to be overflowing.

If a particular spot is popular then it follows that more waste from picnics etc will be generated and therefore more bins need to be provided or collections need to be regulated accordingly.

Similarly, there is rarely a provision to recycle to any degree, with plastic, glass and general waste being lumped in together.

But what is really so difficult, that folk can't take THEIR rubbish with them?..presumably they had the room in the vehicle to cart their KFC/MacDonalds/disposable BBQs etc to the picnic/beauty spot in the first place?.

So why can't they take the remnants back with them?

...and should it really be up to "the council" to be providing recycling bins at each and every location, that someone may or may not, choose to dump their rubbish?

The days of, "never mind,out of sight out of mind", SHOULD be behind us by now...

..and these are supposedly grown ups, who SHOULD be able to tidy up after themselves... :-S

Hi Hideyspidey,

I too am local with a motor home and have also witnessed the mess car owners leave. Putting bags by the bins that needed renewing. At 76 I like nothing better than to sit at all times of the year and watch the sea and birds in the comfort of our van and not have to use the smelly Loos. We always take our rubbish home and very often clean up our bit of the beach.

The people who use and abuse it all year round are not M/Hers. One man lived in his estate car and only has one leg. What situation was he in to have to resort to that?

I too will join you in your quest to try and get this changed. How can I contact you?

If this was the case,why is there a book published for Aires de Camping Car?. I would think those were people who didn't want to pay the overnight rate, and used any old space.

We have just spent 16 nights in Germany and France using aires/stellplats from this book and no where was there mess. One site held 150 M/H by a beautiful lake with lovely walks and the charge 8 E. No noise after 10.30 when the last ones in the car park left.

I.m not going to pay £18 to stay the night at Sutton on Sea C/C/Site, and then have to walk to the beach. The council can find some other mug in their quest for visitors.

kelly58 - 2013-09-21 9:20 AM

Lets hear it for th UK 7 pages of postings and people wonder  why most motorhomers prefer to tour France when UK local councils do not want us to grace their resorts.

On our last day in France this year we got so fed up trying to find a coastal parking spot to eat lunch we broke the law by parking in a car park which banned 'camping-cars' 24/7.

pepe63 - 2013-09-23 4:53 PM

bolero boy - 2013-09-23 3:50 PM

But what is really so difficult, that folk can't take THEIR rubbish with them?..presumably they had the room in the vehicle to cart their KFC/MacDonalds/disposable BBQs etc to the picnic/beauty spot in the first place?.

So why can't they take the remnants back with them?

...and should it really be up to "the council" to be providing recycling bins at each and every location, that someone may or may not, choose to dump their rubbish?

The days of, "never mind,out of sight out of mind", SHOULD be behind us by now...

..and these are supposedly grown ups, who SHOULD be able to tidy up after themselves... :-S

Yes, I can see your point. If there is no provision then take your rubbish home or to another place where it can be dumped properly.

However, there are many folk who will put stuff in a bin if there is one available but who can't see beyond a full bin and take it home....they will still leave it in the car park.

If there were sufficient bin space, more bins or regular emptying, possibly even these lazy tykes might use the facilities. For many people, I'm afraid it's 'least line of resistance' and they don't have the same mentality of some of us (more mature?) older folk and adapt to circumstances.

Archived