Pyramid food as seen on TV

Mrs T

Modern 'celebrity chef's' are the worst cooks in the world! They tart up the food to produce fancy decorative pyramids.

As an example they will place a 'cold' salad material on a surface and then balance on the top of it a 'hot' meat or fish shape. Many times alternating several different layers of hot and cold. Just about the worst ever combination of temperatures, both heating the salad and cooling the hot ingredient.

We have stopped visiting hotels for their fancy food, our last awful experience was on the IOW when good plain simple food was loaded with garlic and herbs so strongly that there was almost no taste of the vegetable that gave the soup its title.

To our elderly tastes modern displays of artistic cooking are ruining real food which should be about tasting the original item not sauces or herbs. Potatoes as an example have many flavours according to their type.

The origin of seasoning or flavouring was to combat rancid or poor quality food.

Mrs T - 2013-09-23 8:13 PM

Food doesn't need 'seasoning' its simply a term used to sell a product, food as such is quite OK as it is otherwise one may as well be eating plastic.

Modern cooks could make a meal from sawdust and newspaper (with flavouring)

We don't buy " seasoned " food Mrs T all that is done at home to our taste , generally for me that means heaps of garlic on everything .

Guest pelmetman

Being downwind of a submariner is far worse than garlic :D...............

Planning a nice dry rubbed curry chicken for the bbq tonight B-)........

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2013-09-24 8:30 PM

Dry rubbed Dave? at least use some Vaseline, you'll make the poor old thing very sore. :D

Not sure about Vaseline Peter? :-S....................as I'm sure it will spit more on the jolly old bbq.............seeing as its petroleum based 8-).................or am I being obtuse? :-S......

But.... by the way we had a very nice bbq down here in "Traffic Lights On Sea"..............(AKA.......Weymouth *-) )

I will definitely be braver with the spices next time B-)

I don't necessarily agree with the premise that 'celeb chefs' are the worst cooks but I do think that the 'relatively' recent poncy offerings, for which I mean portions that would not satisfy even the smallest appetite are simply a way of getting the maximum profit for the smallest amount of ingredients.  It's time to get back to decent sized portions instead of miniscule ones with fancy names.

Archived