Another chestnut. That Climate song again

Mrs T

The common person mostly regard the scientific arguments put forward about the climate as untrue.

In a recent "Life scientific" programme on radio 4 Joanna Haigh, professor of physics at Imperial College tried to convince us that it was all for real.

She received so many letters and complaints from the public that the BBC and the College were obliged yesterday to issue a statement that climate change was "Truly the fault of humans" ... RUBBISH ... The temperature has been increasing long before man was ever invented,

Did you know that in Medieval Times the planets' mean temperature measurements were higher than at present ! they then began to reduce and the learned men of the day cried Oh-Wo-Is-Us we are into the start of another ice age.

The facts are that no scientist can predict the future, all they can do is base their calculations on the past. This does not give them the right to predict anything.

Could not agree more Mrs T _ I will try and post a graph that shows all the various Alarmist predictions as to what the temperature is going to do and then - running on the bottom of all the predictions are the REAL temperatures as measured by balloon and satellite data.

Sadly this may not happen because for some reason this site consistently refuses to allow me to post pics etc.

Climate change has always happened. There are major long-term cycles of the sort that have given us ice ages and tropical desert conditions; there are medium-term cycles that resulted in the Thames freezing over in the nineteenth century; and there are shorter-term 15 year or so cycles that relate to sunspot activity. The overall picture is complicated by the fact that each of these are superimposed on the others, which means that, although most experts agree that we are in an inter-glacial period (but don't get worried - it'll be at least 100,000 years yet!) the short-term climate of the British Isles is warming up.

We cannot, of course, do a great deal about all this (other than move to a different planet!) but it is also true to say that man's activities have altered the climate on a small scale and, since it would only take a matter of a couple of degrees Celcius to bring about catastrophic change for human life, it makes sense to keep an eye on the effects we are having and try to do something to limit the negative effects. Man is not responsible for climatic change but his activities could easily push naturally-occurring changes over certain critical limits. Only a fool would say that we can go on doing what we like without consequences.

While willing to conceed our dumping millions of ton of CO2 into the atmosphere might be having some effect on this planets climate, I am still waiting for someone to explain which particular industrial revolution around 15,000 years ago triggered the end of the last ice age before becoming a zealous convert to the climate change argument.

There are many and various reasons for climatic change, including the variation of our orbit around the sun, cycles of volcanic activity and even continental drift. No-one has ever suggested that man had anything to do with climatic change prior to recent times; the argument is simply that (relatively) small negative contributions now could, in certain circumstances, push things over critical levels. In the long term we may not be able to halt nature's cycles but there is a good chance that we can make life more tolerable for our children.

Guest pelmetman
John 47 - 2013-09-24 6:05 PM

There are many and various reasons for climatic change, including the variation of our orbit around the sun, cycles of volcanic activity and even continental drift. No-one has ever suggested that man had anything to do with climatic change prior to recent times; the argument is simply that (relatively) small negative contributions now could, in certain circumstances, push things over critical levels. In the long term we may not be able to halt nature's cycles but there is a good chance that we can make life more tolerable for our children.

I blame the dinosaurs and their farting for the last ice age *-)....................and the next ice age will be all my own work B-)

pelmetman - 2013-09-24 10:26 PM

John 47 - 2013-09-24 6:05 PM

I blame the dinosaurs and their farting for the last ice age *-)....................and the next ice age will be all my own work B-)

Well, the dinosaurs farted themselves into extinction, so does that mean we are witnessing the demise of the pelmet-maker? :-D

Archived