A Class v Coachbuilt v the All metal Campervan.

Mrs T

We did have a 987M Rapido until recently. It was fine for space and long time living away from home ... but ... some of the maintenance duties were almost impossible due to the difficulties of access to the parts, eventually we gave up on it.

To inspect the vehicle battery one needed a mirror on a stick and that's after the difficulties of unscrewing the plastic caps. To fill the windscreen washer was another hazardous affair and the leisure batteries also needed a contortionist to see into them accurately. Presumably garages have even more problems.

The Coachbuilt sounds a better option for maintenance due to the front end being of original design.

But ... is the all metal campervan type the better option for the majority of uses that is apart from space. The one great advantage is no water ingress.

If you don't mind an older van the one piece GRP body of the Autosleeper Talisman, Clubman. Executive etc share the same virtues as a PVC - and are also similarly poorly insulated as a downside.

The other great advantage of a modern PVC is the way they drive - smoother, quieter, quicker, better ride, better handing and better fuel economy than almost any coachbuilt or A Class.

Yer pays yer money and takes your choice - and hopefully don't get it wrong.

But then again it's only money and there are no fireproof wallets in a coffin!

Mrs T - 2013-09-24 10:58 AM

We did have a 987M Rapido until recently. It was fine for space and long time living away from home ... but ... some of the maintenance duties were almost impossible due to the difficulties of access to the parts, eventually we gave up on it.

To inspect the vehicle battery one needed a mirror on a stick and that's after the difficulties of unscrewing the plastic caps. To fill the windscreen washer was another hazardous affair and the leisure batteries also needed a contortionist to see into them accurately. Presumably garages have even more problems.

The Coachbuilt sounds a better option for maintenance due to the front end being of original design.

But ... is the all metal campervan type the better option for the majority of uses that is apart from space. The one great advantage is no water ingress.

Not sure if space is all that much of a problem either, Mrs T. We have spent the last 2 winters in Spain in a 6m panel van conversion and are booked on the tunnel for December this year.

More outdoor living of course but as far as internal locker space etc we can carry more than enough for our needs - it's all about prioritising and organising differently.

David

Hymer a-classes are crash tested [Hymer were the first manufacturer to do this] and retain the original crash box in the engine compartment for safety. They exceed legislative requirements and include numerous passive safety features common to coachbuilts and PVCs plus additional features common to a-classes.

We bought our third A-class last month after my missus discounted PVCs [too cramped, too dark] and I discounted coachbuilts [too big for the parking space we had available]. We accept the compromises that go with an a-class because these are outweighed by the benefits - mainly the drop down bed gives a shorter length, the airy cab, and tremendous visibility. My engine battery is easier to access than on my son's new Corsa whilst my leisure battery is in a side locker. I rarely access my engine compartment or battery locker. Never had a problem filling the screenwash. None of the two I owned leaked [our Hymer's walls are polyurethane in aluminium cladding which is a pretty sound construction technique; Rapido have been using styrofoam with wooden supports - very attractive to water] and I don't expect the third to have a problem.

However, in the unlikely event that I could get a coachbuilt with the layout we want within the size we want, I would be tempted because they are slightly easier to own. I'd still need to persuade the missus who is wedded to a-classes.

Have a look at a Hymer Exsis - an a-class in a PVC size - or even the slightly wide B-class. I liked the Auto Sleeper Warwick Duo PVC [missus didn't], we both could have lived with an Adria Twin PVC, and we both disliked the Globetrotters PVCs [too much compromise]. For coachbuilts, only a Frankia came close. We love our Hymer 504 B-class.

rupert123 - 2013-09-24 5:33 PM

Coachbuilt every time. Would not like to be in an A class in a front end collision, no crash testing done on these things. White van with windows far to pokey and that side door, what a nightmare.

Yep, coachbuilts always good if you don't like the atmosphere too dry. All that damp creeping in saves putting a bowl of ware out! Just joking.

David

Mrs T - 2013-09-24 10:58 AM

There may be no water ingress though the welded seams of an 'all metal' panel-van conversion motorhome, but there is plenty of opportunity for water to enter through poorly sealed windows or rooflights and no guarantee that there won't be problems with the roof-to-bodywork joint when a PVC's design has its metal roof replaced by a GRP one. Nor will there be any guarantee that the metal bodywork won't corrode in the long term.

The maintenance/servicing of A-Class motorhomes tends to be trickier because of the pretty much inevitable restricted access to the engine compartment. But you could have simplified your Rapido's maintenance by fitting maintenance-free batteries and I'm sure topping up the windscreen-washer container wasn't "almost impossible".

A Rapido 987M, despite being relatively short, had two double beds and a lot of interior space. There's no way that a similar length coach-built design will match the Rapido's interior 'airiness' and, in direct comparison, a PVC will seem like a prison cell.

If resistance to water ingress is of paramount importance, then an all-metal PVC is a good bet. A coachbuilt design with a GRP monocoque body should also resist water ingress well - Wingamm make them and Auto-Sleepers reintroduced the "Executive" model for a while recently. But, if you value a feeling of spaciousness, you'd be best to stay with an A-Class motorhome and check how 'maintainable' the vehicle is before you buy it.

Thanks all for the comments, it was a matter of 'The vehicle has served its purpose for us'. We did all we wanted in 6 years. The remainder is repetition. Life moves on.

From a perfectionists viewpoint Mr T says "it had its difficulties and was becoming a nuisance".

Coachbuilt every time. Would not like to be in an A class in a front end collision, no crash testing done on these things. White van with windows far to pokey and that side door, what a nightmare.

Hymer & Cathago are just a couple of German A class vans that are crash tested other German manufacturers also crash test their vans.

lennyhb - 2013-09-30 3:00 PM

Hymer & Cathago are just a couple of German A class vans that are crash tested other German manufacturers also crash test their vans.

No Lenny they do not, at least not in the manner van and car makers have to. Their is no legistation to cover camper vans and testing done is minimal. I would certainly not like to be in one in a smash.

Not sure where you brought your Rapido, but seeing that you are in Mid Sussex, you could always visit Wokingham Motorcaravans. But I could be teaching Granny to suck eggs :D, if you already know of them.

http://www.wokinghammotorhomes.com/

We have had two Rapidos and find them hard to fault, other than lack of power sockets.

I would imagine that your comments relating to A classes are pretty common to most A classes.

Rapido make a commercial based m/caravan (IIRecall a long wheel base Fiat). Very nice, expensive compared with some, but you get what you pay for.

Rgds

There is little difference in internal length between an A class and a coachbuilt/panel van as all these vehicles retain the drivers seat in the same place.

But and it is a big but the width of all the vehicles will be significantly different with the A class as probably the widest.

Headroom above the driver will depend on the design, drop down bed, low profile or overcab bed.

Archived