Hungary visit

Mrs T

Mrs T - 2013-09-25 2:56 PMJune 2014 I'm planning a visit to tiszakécske, its 90 miles SW of Budapest.Does anyone have any comments

Hi Mrs T,

We went to Hungary this summer and had a great time. We didn't get to Tiszakecske, but stayed at Budapest, Balaton and Heviz. All worth visiting.

Roads are good and the vignette for the motorways was simple to get online. 

If you're passing through Budapest we'd recommend the city-centre campsite. Not a fantastic site, but couldn't be better located. Lake Heviz with the spa is also well worth a visit. Balaton was the very tourist-oriented area, but the lake itself was lovely. Both those are in the other direction to Tiszakeckse (btw I think you prob mean SE of Budapest, sorry to be a pedant!)

Steve

Yes South East it is I was looking sideways thanks.

Unfortunately in a way its mid summer and will be a busy time, we went to Rust about 6 years ago (storks nesting on the chimneys) which is actually in Austria but then went around the lake into Hungary where there was a Tesco of all things with live carp ready for selecting.

We are in Hungary at present but a long way North West of where you are going. We are leaving next week heading through Slovenia to Italy then heading home. If you get to this area, couple of places worth visiting are Papa and then up through Sarvar to Buk and on to Koszeg-a very pretty place with 2 course lunch for 700Fts (about £2.20) at many pavement restaurants.

Also worth a visit if you like motorcycles/racing is the Panonnia Ring where you can watch practicing, racing and on some days Ducatti testing etc, walk round the pits all without charge and have a good lunch quite cheap too-

Re the storks-they are everywhere during the summer -the Hungarians build platforms to encourage them to nest as it's considered lucky. Tesco are everywhere too but nothing like the choice of foods etc you get in UK-although good selection of wine for £1-Fehedes is sweet, Szaraz is dry and beer is unbelievably cheap-30p half litre cans

Traffic outside Budapest the traffic is very light but the roads are not wonderful-remember to slow down if you come to a road junction or village-even if there is no speed sign.

This year in July/Aug it was 46-47degs for quite a number of days and June averaged about 38 so if you're going in summer and you don't have aircon, take a good fan!

Mike

Gets v. hot in summer, so aircon when driving is highly desirable.

Tescos now infest all Eastern Europe, but are quite handy all the same. It's interesting to see how stock varies from country to country - pork chops from Tesco in UK are watery crap, but I've had some beautiful bits of proper meat from Tesco in Hungary.

If you can get further North (I think), Eger is well worth a visit. About as far again as Balaton is from Tiszakécske.

Apart from the impenetrable language ( >:-) ) Hungary is great - people are friendly, there are spas everywhere, beer and wine are cheap and eating out is not ruinous, though also not especially fancy.

Thanks for the replies. Hot weather we are not keen on, noted!

This morning I have driven around Budapest and some outlying areas on Google ... and as we are fortunate in having photographic memories I'm beginning to have doubts about the travelling. We do seriously question why we need to travel around 3,000 miles, its not the cost fortunately but the repetitious aspect of having been to many of the Ottoman Empire areas over the last 40 years where many buildings are similar in style. Their metal fencing always amuses us, it seems to be a 'must have' decision. Those were the days when we cycled in groups too, around all the back streets.

Communist restaurants were a feature then with their set menu whatever was ordered (almost). There is a particular event that we are planning to attend so still have many months to prepare.

Its a difficult decision thank you.

I travelled through Hungary this year spending a couple of weeks there before moving on. Been many times so seen most of the 'touristy' places which I now keep well clear of. As has been mentioned it can and does get hot though I think 'Mike B's' temp gauge needs replacing! I was there in July/August and yes it was hot.....but nowhere near 47 degrees! The hottest temps I had were in Albania (40c) and Serbia (35c).....both of which are much further south than Hungary.

Hmmm.......someone mentioned aircon. That's for wimps!!! :D

No if i'm honest there were times i'd have been glad of it.....but hey ho, i just opened a couple of windows instead! :-D

crinklystarfish - 2013-09-27 10:27 AM

Like BG, have toured Hungary extensively and agree with the generalisations above. To make responses relevant it would help to know the OP's interests or more detail of desired ways to travel / camp.

Crinkly......not sure when you were last in Hungary or if you are a smoker, but I was astounded to find that everything has now changed regards retail outlets of tobacco goods. I thought we were pretty mad and OTT in this country but Hungary has taken it to the stage of lunacy!

You can now only buy cigarettes from very peculiar looking tiny little shops which have blacked out windows and a small sign hanging outside with the number "18" on. They look more like sex shops from the outside so obviously arouse the curiosity of those who want to see whats inside.....so it has the total opposite effect! They are not easy to spot when driving along a road either so unless local, you don't know where to find them!

A local businessman complained that he'd had his application refused for a licence and the town Mayor was overheard discussing it with another politician and the question was raised as to which political party did this man vote for. Their voices are on tape and neither have denied it wasn't them, but the interesting point is the Mayors sister who runs a Petrol Station got her licence!

The Hungarian Government shut down 42000 outlets......then granted licences to those they favoured.

Corrupt as hell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23146659

Bulletguy - 2013-09-27 12:33 AM

I travelled through Hungary this year spending a couple of weeks there before moving on. Been many times so seen most of the 'touristy' places which I now keep well clear of. As has been mentioned it can and does get hot though I think 'Mike B's' temp gauge needs replacing! I was there in July/August and yes it was hot.....but nowhere near 47 degrees! The hottest temps I had were in Albania (40c) and Serbia (35c).....both of which are much further south than Hungary.

No if i'm honest there were times i'd have been glad of it.....but hey ho, i just opened a couple of windows instead! :-D

Maybe the BBC/ITV/Sky need to check their thermometers too then-Hungarian Grand Prix was quoted at almost 50degs and that is level with where we are.

The 4 foot temperature screen in Sarvar Furdo stated 47 degs-maybe you came past on a cool day or maybe you were in the shade!

Tesco sold out of aircon units and fans too, so had no choice but to open the windows-pity there was no wind but plenty of mosquitos

Mike

Mike B. - 2013-09-28 9:18 AM

Bulletguy - 2013-09-27 12:33 AM

Maybe the BBC/ITV/Sky need to check their thermometers too then-Hungarian Grand Prix was quoted at almost 50degs and that is level with where we are.

The 4 foot temperature screen in Sarvar Furdo stated 47 degs-maybe you came past on a cool day or maybe you were in the shade!

Tesco sold out of aircon units and fans too, so had no choice but to open the windows-pity there was no wind but plenty of mosquitos

Mike

I think you are confusing track or road surface temps Mike. Very different to air temps. I had road surface temps of 56c in Poland but the air temp was at 37c on that particular day. Interestingly you mentioned about "perhaps I was in the shade". Not sure if you know anything about the build and design of Weather Stations but that's precisely where the air temp is recorded.....in a shaded area.....or in the case of a purpose built Weather Station, its covered from the sun otherwise it wouldn't give a true recording.

However......just out of interest here is the actual BBC Weather report for the day of the Hungarian Grand Prix. Note the Forecaster says "could reach as high as 40c.....". Yes it was hot, but it never reached anywhere near 47c!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/23457107

And here is the Weather chart for the same day;

http://www.accuweather.com/en/hu/budapest/187423/august-weather/187423?monyr=8/1/2013

Archived