tyre wear

tonyfletcher

Hiya

Just noticed that the front tyres on the Motorhome are showing signs of wear. The make are Continental. My old vehicle had Michelins on and wore really well. I think I changed them at 40 k. These have only done 13k

Anyone had similar experiences. The tyres are wearing evenly and no sign of feathering on the edges

Cheers

Tony

Depends on what you call tyre wear?

With about 8 mm of tread on a new van tyre you would expect to have used about 2 mm on the fronts after 13k miles as that gives you about 6 mm wear at 40k miles which is time to replace.

On the rears wear should be less than 1 mm after 13k miles which might possibly make them outlast your ownership of the van so why not change them round at about 26k and extend their life considerably as it is better to wear tyres out than have them degenerate with age.

Hi,only read your query today.my 3ltr Fiat tyres ,16inch wheels,front wore out at 14000mls,second set now low at 25000mls,just enough left to get me to Calpe and back,they are Continental Camper tyres, I think.engine size,drivers foot! And if you tow or not all have a bearing on life expectancy :-)

tonyfletcher - 2013-10-01 8:06 PM

Hiya

Just noticed that the front tyres on the Motorhome are showing signs of wear. The make are Continental. My old vehicle had Michelins on and wore really well. I think I changed them at 40 k. These have only done 13k

Anyone had similar experiences. The tyres are wearing evenly and no sign of feathering on the edges

Cheers

Tony

When new my van had Continentals - the front ones were only just about legal at 18000 so I changed them.

Replaced by Michelin Agilis which have now done 25000 without any really noticeable wear.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
On my third set of tyres............never had them wear out though :D................although I'm not surprised tyres are wearing out quicker on front wheel drive heavy campers.........as when I drove my Dads Hymer back from Spain I was surprised at how the front wheels would scrabble to get grip going up hill ;-)

Lenny,

If you've done 26000 k on your conti's and they are down to 6mm you've done very well. New Conti's start at 10 mm according to some unused brand new ones I've got stashed away in the garage. So for 4 mm of wear they have done 26000 k that's 6500 k for every 1 mm. That's about spot on for average use, mine are wearing similar to yours.

Archived