Hazard lights in ferry queues ?

malc d

Sitting in a ferry queue the other day I was wondering why so many people put their hazard lights on when moving nose to tail up to the next parking area, or driving onto the ferry.

I can understand that it's useful for the dock vehicles moving about in all directions to have them on, but what use are they if you are three feet from the car in front and all going the same way.

I have never been asked to use mine and was just wondering if anyone had come across any such instructions from the ferry operators.

I'm not complaining by the way - just wondering where the practice comes from.

;-)

We have often commented about this. Perhaps they think they are VIPs so need to draw attention to themselves.

My understanding is that cars have hazard lights to be used when the vehicle is causing a hazard, ie broken down etc.

Then perhaps the people driving these cars are themselves a hazard!!!!

Guest pelmetman

Cant say I've noticed it at the tunnel :-S.................and its been some years since we used a ferry and I don't recall it then ;-)...........

Maybe its a Johnny Foreigner thing :D.............as I've noticed they are rather fond of their hazard lights.....especially going up long steep hills in Spain, the lorries like to drive with their hazards on :-S............I do the same......."As when in Rome"....etc etc.........I'm sure I could overtake if I wanted :$

David Dwight - 2013-10-02 8:52 PM

My understanding is that cars have hazard lights to be used when the vehicle is causing a hazard, ie broken down etc.

I think you'll find they are to indicate that it's perfectly ok for the car to be parked on double yellows as the driver has only popped in the shop for a paper and packet of fags B-)

bob b - 2013-10-03 7:48 PM

When moving off to board the ferry at Portsmouth last, I was told to put my hazard lights on by a port official. 

Hi Bob

Were you in a ' nose to tail ' queue at the time - or moving solo ?

It's the queues with hazard flashers going that seem odd to me.

;-)

I think its a knock on from all large vehicles including agricultural moving in working areas being required to have flashing lights displayed all the time. I have seen hazard light on moving vehicles on show sites.

I do not know if any research has been involved into the pros and cons but personally think that the advantages of a driver being able to show his intention to change his direction of travel far outweighs the minor visual enhancement of a big white van flashing its hazards.

Of course it could just be my Dinosaur syndrome playing up again.

malc d - 2013-10-03 8:14 PM
bob b - 2013-10-03 7:48 PMWhen moving off to board the ferry at Portsmouth last, I was told to put my hazard lights on by a port official. 
Hi BobWere you in a ' nose to tail ' queue at the time - or moving solo ?It's the queues with hazard flashers going that seem odd to me. ;-)

I was told to put the hazards on as I was about to drive along the dock toward the loading ramp. I haven't seen vehicles with hazards on in the stationary lanes though.

bob b - 2013-10-03 10:32 PM
malc d - 2013-10-03 8:14 PM
bob b - 2013-10-03 7:48 PMWhen moving off to board the ferry at Portsmouth last, I was told to put my hazard lights on by a port official. 
Hi BobWere you in a ' nose to tail ' queue at the time - or moving solo ?It's the queues with hazard flashers going that seem odd to me. ;-)

I was told to put the hazards on as I was about to drive along the dock toward the loading ramp. I haven't seen vehicles with hazards on in the stationary lanes though.

I didn't see them on in stationary lanes, they were just queues moving from the check in lane - but , as I say, they were moving only three feet apart so hazard flashers seemed a bit pointless.Anyway, our friend 'kuta ri ri ' has been involved on the ferries and it seems that the idea is to have the hazard flashers on when you actually board the ferry ( ' elf and safety ).Cheers

George Collings - 2013-10-03 8:24 PM

I think its a knock on from all large vehicles including agricultural moving in working areas being required to have flashing lights displayed all the time. I have seen hazard light on moving vehicles on show sites.

....but personally think that the advantages of a driver being able to show his intention to change his direction of travel far outweighs the minor visual enhancement of a big white van flashing its hazards

OT a bit....That's something that always strikes about the likes of dustcarts....Around here, although they'll have an array of fancy beacons, all twirling and flashing, they still have their hazards on..

Which means the rest of us motorists, haven't a damned clue if/when they're going to suddenly pull off/out across the road in front of us...!? *-)

laimeduck - 2013-10-02 2:01 PMI think it's used to signify that someone in the vehicle is in need of a wheelchair or a lift.

Got it in one.

TOH who has mobility problems is given a special label pre boarding for the windscreen so that we can park close to the lifts. The idea of the hazards is to alert the crew that there is a disabled person on board, and because disabled people are also directed to a dedicated lane it would explain why a majority in that lane have their flashers going  Seems clear enough, those who do not know seem to have an opinion tho' :-)

malc d - 2013-10-02 12:11 PM

Sitting in a ferry queue the other day I was wondering why so many people put their hazard lights on when moving nose to tail up to the next parking area, or driving onto the ferry.

I can understand that it's useful for the dock vehicles moving about in all directions to have them on, but what use are they if you are three feet from the car in front and all going the same way.

I have never been asked to use mine and was just wondering if anyone had come across any such instructions from the ferry operators.

;-)

same reason they have there fog lights on when you are behind them, no awareness of the vehicles around them

malc d - 2013-10-02 12:11 PM

;-)

same reason they have there fog lights on when you are behind them, no awareness of the vehicles around them

Guest pelmetman
Retread24800 - 2013-10-04 7:44 PM
laimeduck - 2013-10-02 2:01 PMI think it's used to signify that someone in the vehicle is in need of a wheelchair or a lift.

Got it in one.

TOH who has mobility problems is given a special label pre boarding for the windscreen so that we can park close to the lifts. The idea of the hazards is to alert the crew that there is a disabled person on board, and because disabled people are also directed to a dedicated lane it would explain why a majority in that lane have their flashers going  Seems clear enough, those who do not know seem to have an opinion tho' :-)

Well that might explain it ;-)..................lemming syndrome :D..........the camper in front has someone with mobility issues.......so puts on their hazards as instructed.........the driver behind thinks this is normal procedure and puts his on.......hence they do the same all down the line B-) .......

Archived