Wonder which other convertors will be affected this way?

josie gibblebucket

I never quite understood the argument that if a butterfly lands on a flower in my garden, then someone in China sneezes. So I'm struggling to understand why a comment by Romahome means we must leave the EU.

As for ESP, my van is already overloaded with acronyms so one more won't make any difference. It has ESP.

I understand all vehicles have to comply with road safety legislation and environmental standards otherwise the DVSA [the merged VOAS and DSA] will get you unless St Peter calls you to the Pearly Gates beforehand.

I can understand why ESP is a problem for Romahome but wonder whether their revised business model is sustainable given I agree with Muswell's comment about vehicle safety.

hallii - 2014-02-26 2:03 PM..............It's not the effectiveness or desirability of any ESP/ESC that I object to, it is the fact that so many of our laws are now being made in a foreign country and forced upon us. As you may gather Derek, I am not a lover of the EU. I love Europe and the people who live there, but not the European Union................H

OK, so let's just pretend that ESP was invented in UK, and proved a good thing, so the UK government decided to make its fitment mandatory. Is it now a good, or bad? Does it matter so much how we get where we are? Do we have to do everything individually for it to be right? May we not learn from others? The EU won't go away, so even if we left vehicles made in UK desitned for the EU would, in any case, have to include ESP to be sold there. Should we then omit it for the home market, just to show our independence? This is angels on a pin head stuff, and IMO belongs in the realms of religion or philosophy, not road safety.

Does anyone seriously imagine that if we leave the EU Fiat, Ford, Mercedes, VW, Peugeot and Citroen will make special vehicles to supply to the UK buyers who don't believe in the benefits of ESP? The fact is that if we trade with continental Europe we will make things to meet EU standards and buy things made to EU standards.

Good grief! Does nobody actually read anything?

I am making a point that ESP is not universally suitable and that it's forced implementation on certain vehicles is at best not a good thing and at worst is a very bad thing. Consultation with engineers would have helped the decision makers to understand this.

If you are not sure about the above or it's meaning; read it again.

Take the Euro debate somewhere else where it might be more welcome. I don't give a toss. I just try to answer questions about technical stuff and I am wondering why i bother.

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-26 7:30 PM

Calm down Nick! :-D Your technical point was well understood, and makes perfect sense. I was merely responding to the point about the origin of the legislation, which I agree was a digression - but coulden't resist. Mea culpa! :-)

Me too :-D

Archived