Damp problems

Hope2421

Hello all,

Unfortunately I have found damp on my beloved motorhome a Bessacarr E425 2007, the damp is in all four corners and the very rear of the floor.

I have read the threads on here which states that this is a problem that Swift are aware of due to poor sealing of the side panels and a plastic lining covering the plywood floor trapping moisture.

Now I bought my motorhome 4 months ago and it came with a 6 month warranty, I have been in touch to tell them of the problem and they said it is covered and to book it in for 2 weeks for repairs, Swift also have confirmed that my motorhome has never had any warranty work done by them.

My question is what will be required to repair this, will it be a complete floor and re seal of the panels or just drying out of the floor and re seal?

I don't want my dealer who is not a swift agent to do half job especially considering how much warranty I have left.

Your thoughts and advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

Unfortunately Tom you aren't the first and most certainly won't be the last to highlight damp issues with your motorhome. This year an owner who was sited next to me down in France told me of his experience with his Swift. It beggars belief that with all the technology that manufacturers have at their finger tips they can still produce crap, expensive at that. No wonder people are considering going over to van conversions, at least the side walls and floors don't part company.

Guest JudgeMental
You dont say if this is a pre or post X250 facelift model...because if it is X250 and there are no records or recalls..It has probably not had any or the remedial "fixes" to gearbox and clutch..

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 11:38 AM

You dont say if this is a pre or post X250 facelift model...because if it is X250 and there are no records or recalls..It has probably not had any or the remedial "fixes" to gearbox and clutch..

What on earth has this to do with toms post he is seeking advice on a damp problem around the rear floor, once again you have gone off topic,

Tom, I also had damp in exactly the places you mentioned on a swift, unfortunately this was only found out when p/x for new motorhome,( german ) resulting in a loss of money in the P/X, they cut out parts of the floor and replaced all around, and the Bessie was fairly quickly sold on by the dealer, I HAD NO CLUTCH OR GEARBOX PROBLEMS THOUGH WITH MY X250 IN THE 4 1/2 years that I had the vehicle. ( from new )

Guest JudgeMental

stop shouting...I'll say what I want when I want.... So your OK then, well thats OK then ..Selfish or what

Hope said this: "Swift also have confirmed that my motorhome has never had any warranty work done by them." So if Swift now involved, maybe if its required..worth highlighting as a precaution *-)

rudders - 2013-10-05 3:59 PM

What on earth has this to do with toms post he is seeking advice on a damp problem around the rear floor, once again you have gone off topic,

This is an excellent opportunity to bring to the OP's attention the other issues facing X250 owners and Eddies comments are, in my view, wholly relevant to the van in question, if not the question in question, as it is quite possible that the OP was not aware of the gearbox and allied issues given the lack of publicity that Fiat gave it at the time and presumable ever since.

In the new revised polite forum that we are currently enjoying, please don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat just because you disagree.

In real life, conversations weave in and out and around any given topic so why should a forum be straight jacketed to prevent this?

Yet another confirmation why I have never and would never buy any Swift Group conversion!!

Tracker - 2013-10-05 5:27 PM

rudders - 2013-10-05 3:59 PM

as the op says, he has no problems with the fiat, and I am sure he has enough problems with the damp at the moment so why say that you would never buy a swift, as they sell more m/homes and caravans than any other manufacturer so surely they cannot all be duds, law of averages and all that, so your back on all mentals xmas card list then!!!! hmmm.

This is an excellent opportunity to bring to the OP's attention the other issues facing X250 owners and Eddies comments are, in my view, wholly relevant to the van in question, if not the question in question, as it is quite possible that the OP was not aware of the gearbox and allied issues given the lack of publicity that Fiat gave it at the time and presumable ever since.

In the new revised polite forum that we are currently enjoying, please don't be so quick to jump down someone's throat just because you disagree.

In real life, conversations weave in and out and around any given topic so why should a forum be straight jacketed to prevent this?

Yet another confirmation why I have never and would never buy any Swift Group conversion!!

rudders - 2013-10-05 7:39 PM

as the op says, he has no problems with the fiat, and I am sure he has enough problems with the damp at the moment so why say that you would never buy a swift, as they sell more m/homes and caravans than any other manufacturer so surely they cannot all be duds, law of averages and all that, so your back on all mentals xmas card list then!!!! hmmm.

I would never buy a Swift just because they sell a lot of vans - what sort of a reason is that?

Having killed off probably the best converter, and one their greatest competitor, and certainly the most customer focused in recent years, Autocruise, the Swift Group have done the Great British motorhomes no favours whatsoever in my humble view.

You would think with all that experience they would be getting it right more often by now wouldn't you?

Some makers have many years experience from which they seem to learn and some never seem to learn.

Sorry not interested in Christmas card lists - just saying it the way I see it - good bad and indifferent!

Would you prefer a card with a robin or a snow scene when the time comes!!

Guest pelmetman

Speaking as someone with a 23 year old bone DRY Autohomes conversion ;-).................which in all honesty I put down to my garage fetish :D...............

So my advice is ..........If you can afford 40k..............then spend 30k ......on the camper and 10k on a garage ;-)

Hope2421 - 2013-10-05 12:16 AM

My question is what will be required to repair this, will it be a complete floor and re seal of the panels or just drying out of the floor and re seal?

I don't want my dealer who is not a swift agent to do half job especially considering how much warranty I have left.

Your thoughts and advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Tom

Hi Tom;

you could always try asking your dealer what he expects to have to do?

regards

alan b

I received a letter today confirming that date to take my motorhome in full repairs, my dealer has no workshop facilites so is out sourcing to a local (to them) caravan dealer which does have full workshop which is apart of the Approved workshop scheme and is Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan club endorsed.

When I take the vehicle there I will be pointing out all the places I expect to be repaired and to what standard based upon my research.

Once done to my satisfaction I'm sure that all will be well with the Bessacarr which overall suits our needs and despite this problem I still consider it to be a quality motorhome.

Guest JudgeMental

Blimey tracker that's twice in a week you have come to my defence...I will ponder this situation while down in espana. Perhaps there is hope....( for u) :D

Edit: sorry hope, a quality van? So who is going to check it's repaired properly..the person who bought it? *-)

JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 8:51 PM

Blimey tracker that's twice in a week you have come to my defence...I will ponder this situation while down in espana. Perhaps there is hope....( for u) :D

Edit: sorry hope, a quality van? So who is going to check it's repaired properly..the person who bought it? *-)

No need to be rude Mental, yes I will be checking it along with an independent engineer or maybe you could offer your expert services as you seem to know so much about British motorhomes.

The motorhome was bought with a clear habitation report but I'm sure you are aware that most if not all dealers do not check the floor hence the problem now, I did research the vehicle before buying but clearly not enough, at this time I could do without your less than sympathetic tone I feel bad enough.

Guest pelmetman

Having met Rich(Tracker) and MelB ;-).....................I suspect they along with many of the frequent posters/ antagonists/ wnindupmerchants :D...............on here..................they are really quite nice people ;-).........

BTW mines a shiraz ;-)

pelmetman - 2013-10-05 9:09 PM

Having met Rich(Tracker) and MelB ;-).....................I suspect they along with many of the frequent posters/ antagonists/ wnindupmerchants :D...............on here..................they are really quite nice people ;-).........

BTW mines a shiraz ;-)

Oi watch it Dave - my reputation (and yours) is at stake here - but thanks anyway!!

Hope2421 - 2013-10-05 9:06 PM

No need to be rude Mental, yes I will be checking it along with an independent engineer or maybe you could offer your expert services as you seem to know so much about British motorhomes.

The motorhome was bought with a clear habitation report but I'm sure you are aware that most if not all dealers do not check the floor hence the problem now, I did research the vehicle before buying but clearly not enough, at this time I could do without your less than sympathetic tone I feel bad enough.

Buying tip.

When you trade a van in the dealers nearly always do a damp check on it prior to doing the deal.

When they do this to me I then insist on them doing the same checks on the van I'm buying whilst I watch and direct them where to check.

It was not appreciated last time and they tried to fob me off but I said no check - no deal - so they did.

Guest JudgeMental
Hope2421 - 2013-10-05 9:06 PM

What? Mental? thats rich!lol....l know enough about them to stay well clear!lol.....less with the insults, when all I have done is try to help.......my name is Eddie by the way *-)

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2013-10-05 9:21 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-05 9:09 PM

BTW mines a shiraz ;-)

Oi watch it Dave - my reputation (and yours) is at stake here - but thanks anyway!!

I've got a reputation? 8-)................how did that happen? :-S.............

Guest JudgeMental

Yes you have!....whether you want it or not! Just remember keep your friends close..enemy's closer :-D

Cool camper/hot pitch, shows at least something happening between your ears :D

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2013-10-05 10:00 PM

Cool camper/hot pitch, shows at least something happening between your ears :D

Well.....at least I've struck oil between my ears :D...............

Hi Tom,hope you get your damp problems fixed to your satisfaction and hopefully the repairer will warranty the repair that they have carried out and not just carry out a quick fix for the dealer.

Ps there are far more helpful people on other forums,I come on here from time to time to see if there's any change in some peoples attitude but it's like flogging a dead horse.

Archived