Strange Bailey water leak video

Hope2421

pelmetman - 2013-10-09 11:12 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-10-09 10:26 AM

Shame reputation has been damaged by trying to fob him off then. Pity, as I've always thought it commendable that Bailey had been bold enough to innovate with their construction method.

Depends if you think paying a couple of hundred quid, to have your nuts tightened every two years is innovation? :-S..................Sounds more like a nice little earner to me ;-)

I'm not that familiar with Bailey's method of construction but surely a method that enables you to monitor the fixing points periodically and to *re-tighten if need be, has got to be better than some of the more "traditional" methods that just rely on use of sealants/screws/"bonded" joints etc that, when having been "disturbed" by the continually twisting and jarring (..and just because you don't notice the effects, doesn't mean it isn't happening ;-) ), have no real means of ever being "re-secured", without a major strip down....

(* Presumably these fixing points are accessible from within the overhead lockers etc..?)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-10-09 12:21 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-09 11:12 AM

crinklystarfish - 2013-10-09 10:26 AM

Shame reputation has been damaged by trying to fob him off then. Pity, as I've always thought it commendable that Bailey had been bold enough to innovate with their construction method.

Depends if you think paying a couple of hundred quid, to have your nuts tightened every two years is innovation? :-S..................Sounds more like a nice little earner to me ;-)

I'm not that familiar with Bailey's method of construction but surely a method that enables you to monitor the fixing points periodically and to *re-tighten if need be, has got to be better that some of the "traditional" methods that just rely on use of sealants/screws/"bonded" joints etc, that once "disturbed" by the being continually twisted and jarred, have no real means of ever "re-securing" these joints, without a major strip down....

(* Presumably these fixing points are accessible from within the overhead lockers etc..?)

In the few years that I've a valuable member of this forum :D..................most damp problems seem to come from poorly fitted skylights and windows ;-)................neither of which will be cured by this new fangled technique..........indeed as this thread indicates Bailey have yet to master the basics *-).......

If Bailey had offered the "Nut tightening" as part of their habitation check without additional cost, then I might be persuaded that its not just a "Good Earner" :-|

pelmetman - 2013-10-09 12:32 PM

If Bailey had offered the "Nut tightening" as part of their habitation check without additional cost, then I might be persuaded that its not just a "Good Earner" :-|

Oh!...If it's not part of the hab' check, then that IS poor Dave... as I would've assumed that on introducing a newish method of construction ,meeting it's "servicing" needs would form part of it's routine checks.... :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2013-10-09 12:49 PM

Oh!...If it's not part of the hab' check, then that IS poor Dave... as I would've assumed that on introducing a newish method of construction ,meeting it's "servicing" needs would form part of it's routine checks.... :-S

Well that's as I understand it :-|

Baileys construction method isn't new as such it's just that it hasn't previously been used in the caravan/motorhome industry. Many commercial vehicle body builders have been using the clamping method for years but the floor to wall and roof composites differ and of course are much heavier for constant wear and tear purposes.

pelmetman - 2013-10-09 1:00 PM

have Bailey never heard of 'loctite' or 'thread seal' then the bolts will not 'come loose' during normal use.

as has been said, 'a nice little earner'. Ray

Rayjsj - 2013-10-09 8:56 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-09 1:00 PM

have Bailey never heard of 'loctite' or 'thread seal' then the bolts will not 'come loose' during normal use.

as has been said, 'a nice little earner'. Ray

no good when the walls flex, as in every cb locking the bolts would only delay the problem

rolandrat - 2013-10-09 1:56 PM

Baileys construction method isn't new as such it's just that it hasn't previously been used in the caravan/motorhome industry. Many commercial vehicle body builders have been using the clamping method for years but the floor to wall and roof composites differ and of course are much heavier for constant wear and tear purposes.

Some commercial vehicles have been made this way for years, that's true, but dry freight requirements are different. It doesn't matter if torsional stress is passed up through the walls of a dry freight truck, the sides and roof can twist a bit (and do) without consequence.

It's different in a motorhome though and the construction has to be rigid enough to stop the furniture and other fittings from being ripped out as you drive down the road.

Bailey took this on, and also the crash test stuff that many others shy away from. Like their products or not, their work in the mainstream industry is innovative; pity their reputation is now undermined by not just humbly putting their fault right.

If folks could see just how nasty frame / insulation / skinning construction is they might not be so concerned about the occasional need to tweak a nut or two.

Times are moving on too and dry freight boxes are moving towards welded poly* panels reinforced by grp in a honeycombe. Any smart motorhome manufacturer would do well to give this a go as a base:

It's light as a feather, utterly waterproof and will take a knock.

http://www.omnia-cs.co.uk/panelsc2.php

RogerC - 2013-10-09 9:24 PMSo you pay out well over £40k for a MH then pay every year to make sure the walls are not falling off?

Like has been said...if this is correct it's a nice little earner......

It means that stresses can at least be managed.As the panels in a 'normal' motorhome are stressed with vibration and worse - by being twisted by chassis flex - they are constantly fighting to part company with one another. They are only as good as the screws, glue and flimsy angle brackets that hold them together. Once the glue and screws begin to give, you have no easy way to effect repair.Conventional frame / insulation / skin panels may or may not last the lifetime of the rest of the 'van without major failure, much depends on the 'vans use and just how well the panels were put together in the first place.It's why you see a lot of old monocoque 'vans about.

From a re-joining contributor from many years past.

Regarding the Bailey 'waterfall'. Perhaps its a blessing that at least the water can be seen to be escaping and not creeping into other unseen parts so causing even bigger problems. It would be welcomed if the manufacturer could show how the front section is constructed.

The biggest problem I see is any freezing water that remains.

Will85 - 2013-10-10 3:30 PM

From a re-joining contributor from many years past.

Regarding the Bailey 'waterfall'. Perhaps its a blessing that at least the water can be seen to be escaping and not creeping into other unseen parts so causing even bigger problems. It would be welcomed if the manufacturer could show how the front section is constructed.

The biggest problem I see is any freezing water that remains.

The other problem would be a 'nasty smell' from the damp interior of the 'unplanned' water tank,

which would get full of nasty bugs that 'love' dark and wet areas.

Of course you could always fill it with Koi Carp and make a water feature.

Come on Bailey... Post on here, Give us the Answer, otherwise I for one will be steering WELL clear of Bailey Motorhomes. Ray

Will85 - 2013-10-10 3:30 PM

Perhaps its a blessing that at least the water can be seen to be escaping and not creeping into other unseen parts so causing even bigger problems.

Not so sure that is necessarily the case.

It's true that we can see a lot escaping - but we don't know if it is all escaping, or if any is creeping into other places - only time will tell.

I certainly wouldn't live with it,

:-(

Archived