NEC show - anyone going?

Tony Jones

lennyhb - 2013-10-10 2:05 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-10 9:54 AM

lennyhb - 2013-10-09 3:55 PM

Nope, going to the Brussels show at the weekend, my Hymer dealer thinks he will be able to do better deal than the 16% discount he offered at Dusseldorf .

Cathago would only give 5% at Dusseldorf see if they can do any better.

I was at a Cathargo dealer in the Midlands at the weekend and was offered close to 10% discount (£76k down to £69k) on a number of their new C-Tourers. Oh, and a frighteningly good part ex, too.

Shame I found the lounge a bit tight and the table too big....a really well built van with a good bike sized garage. Will be looking at Hymer next week.

I take it you are talking about Premier, saw them at Düsseldorf, are you talking about a 2014 model with super pack & TV pack (most are supplied in that spec), best deal at Düsseldorf was 5% from a Belgium dealer Premier were about 2½ grand dearer my mate did a deal with them after they chucked in the satellite package making it about the same price. Just under 73k for a 142QB, that's about 16k more than I can get an Exsis with the spec I want. I still prefer the Cathago quality but at 16k more!

Lenny, Derek got it right, it was GoEuropeanMotorhomes and the vans had the xxx pack (can't remembEr the name, may have been super pack) which was all the packs together, including the TV pack.

I really like the Exsis-I too, which model are you looking at. I want one with the tall garage for bikes, 514, 578 etc. I take it your looking at LHD if you are looking to pay £57k and that this is a conversion from the Euro rate from a Belgian dealer?

I thought the 142QB was a little tight up front and in the bathroom although, as I said, beautifully made but really not appreciably better than the Hymer.

Good luck with the research.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lennyhb - 2013-10-09 9:59 PM

For the spec we wanted works out £17000 less than UK list price, and he's talking about a better price.

lennyhb - 2013-10-10 3:27 PM

Rip off Britain again, Düsseldorf charge €12 to park during the day and it's free to park overnight also get free servicing & free entertainment.

The Friday evening we arrived there was a Pink Floyd concert on at the arena so we had to wait 2 hours to get in so they did not charge us for the weekend, can't see that happening in the UK.

With figures like that it makes one wonder just how any Motorhomes are ever sold in this country?!!

But the the 'rip off' isn't just confined to MH prices. Fuel, food, utility costs.....the list is endless. In Germany which is not particularly known for being 'cheap', i'm filling up with diesel at £1.23 a litre whilst back here in the UK it was £1.40.

BTW Lenny, the Pink Floyd concert must have been the band known as the Australian Pink Floyd, the only 'cover' band to have done a world tour. I've seen them myself and they are absolutely amazing.....so good in fact that Dave Gilmours wife booked them to play at his 60th birthday bash!

Bulletguy - 2013-10-10 4:27 PM

lennyhb - 2013-10-09 9:59 PM

For the spec we wanted works out £17000 less than UK list price, and he's talking about a better price.

lennyhb - 2013-10-10 3:27 PM

Rip off Britain again, Düsseldorf charge €12 to park during the day and it's free to park overnight also get free servicing & free entertainment.

The Friday evening we arrived there was a Pink Floyd concert on at the arena so we had to wait 2 hours to get in so they did not charge us for the weekend, can't see that happening in the UK.

With figures like that it makes one wonder just how any Motorhomes are ever sold in this country?!!

But the the 'rip off' isn't just confined to MH prices. Fuel, food, utility costs.....the list is endless. In Germany which is not particularly known for being 'cheap', i'm filling up with diesel at £1.23 a litre whilst back here in the UK it was £1.40.

BTW Lenny, the Pink Floyd concert must have been the band known as the Australian Pink Floyd, the only 'cover' band to have done a world tour. I've seen them myself and they are absolutely amazing.....so good in fact that Dave Gilmours wife booked them to play at his 60th birthday bash!

Thinking about it, it must have been as the real ones only perform about once every ten years these days. Just looked up TAFPS they do sound good will have to look out for them.

Pink Floyd. Now you are talking ! Gilmore wanted the gig for nothing top band but very tight with the cash I bet Gilmores MH is expensive I am COMFORTABLTY NUMB just thinking about it. Barrent / Wright deserve a mention. Flying with angels money no object top of the range. Nick mason now he bound to have a corker for when he exhibits and drives his classic car collection he got to live in luxury I don't blame him they deserve everything they got SHINE ON YOU CRAZY DIAMOND. Mr waters can choose what he wants he has given so much to British music I hope he will call it his INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE wagon. Sorry about this but Floyd are in my top 3 bands. Talking about rip offs is the food inside the nec ultra expensive I be taking my own but might buy a costa how much?

Bulletguy - 2013-10-10 4:27 PM

lennyhb - 2013-10-10 5:25 PM

Thinking about it, it must have been as the real ones only perform about once every ten years these days. Just looked up TAFPS they do sound good will have to look out for them.

Lenny.....it would have been them. Pink Floyd the band stopped touring years back when the personal animosities became too much. After seeing a documentary with interviews of each individual, including Waters, it's very easy to see why and how. Waters came across as extremely assertive whilst Gilmour is the total opposite....very polite, very calm and quietly spoken.

I went to see Australian Pink Floyd with a friend who'd seen them before and raved on about them but admit I had my reservations. After the first few chords that instantly disappeared......close your eyes and it's Pink Floyd the band. Every single damn note was spot on.

An evening of incredible music. Get the chance to see them and it's manna from heaven for any Pink Floyd fan.

Guest JudgeMental

Nope, going to the Brussels show at the weekend, my Hymer dealer thinks he will be able to do better deal than the 16% discount he offered at Dusseldorf .

I was at a Cathargo dealer in the Midlands at the weekend and was offered close to 10% discount (£76k down to £69k) on a number of their new C-Tourers. Oh, and a frighteningly good part ex, too.

Shame I found the lounge a bit tight and the table too big....a really well built van with a good bike sized garage. Will be looking at Hymer next week.

table probably big as its part of the front lounge bed...dont need front bed? should be easy enough to spec a smaller or additional table....check German prices and spec carefully!..UK dealers have an uncanny knack of changing the euro sign for pounds and totally forgetting about the exchange rate!

yes show ticket offer: useful if keen on DFDS ferry...tunnel for me next year...will resurrect the sharing tunnel offer thread soon,although I am sorted.....cant stand the ferry's to much delay! really bu$$ered up my trip down to Spain,stil did it in 2 overnighter:-D

JudgeMental - 2013-10-10 9:20 PM

table probably big as its part of the front lounge bed...dont need front bed? should be easy enough to spec a smaller or additional table....check German prices and spec carefully!..UK dealers have an uncanny knack of changing the euro sign for pounds and totally forgetting about the exchange rate!

Not in an A Class Eddie, and for 2014 models most A class with island table, the table now rotates through 360 deg as well as sliding in both directions - a big improvement.

We are going for both the Saturday and Sunday, in the hope of finding a replacement for our Rapido 707F. We were very interested in the Hymer Exsis -t 414 and the Laika Ecovip 300, having read reviews in Which Motorhome. We love our van which has been extremely reliable but having spent 6 weeks in Scandinavia this summer we would like to stick to below the 6m mark but, this time round, have the bikes on board in a garage model. The Hymer sounds good on paper as it is narrower. Very tempting after the roads ( and especially the tunnels) in Norway!

Unfortunately we read in this month's Which Motorhome that the only Laika Ecovip on show at the NEC will not be the 300 and it also looks like the Hymer will not be present either. Has anyone seen either of these vans on their travels anywhere? We are going to Germany at half-term and have contacted Hymer in the hope that they can point us in the direction of a German/ Belgian dealer who has one in stock. We are just about to do the same with Laika.

A bit disappointing as the reviews had raised our hopes that we could find a good replacement for our van.

We would love to have another Rapido but their equivalent vans are over 6m- not great when we want to see more of Scandinavia.

It is disappointing when you go to these shows hoping to see a full range of models, but end up just seeing more of the same models across different dealers. At the main show of the year a little bit more effort and collabaration between the manufacturers and main dealers would be very helpful.

I would have thought that there is generally enough revenue created by main stream buyers to allow the extremities of ranges to be shown as well - after all this is meant to be a 'show'.

We went to the show on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Curiously the traffic on the Tuesday was heavy and the car park was packed solid, but it seemed much quieter inside than on the Wednesday, when the car parks were fairly bare!

We felt that there was a very good range of 'vans on offer with most manufacturers showing their complete range.

OK, Lowdhams and Brownhills had massive displays which might have replicated a few models, but the overall choice was great. (which is why we couldn't make our minds up :D )

Delfin Driver - 2013-10-11 8:40 PM

We are going for both the Saturday and Sunday, in the hope of finding a replacement for our Rapido 707F. We were very interested in the Hymer Exsis -t 414 and the Laika Ecovip 300, having read reviews in Which Motorhome. We love our van which has been extremely reliable but having spent 6 weeks in Scandinavia this summer we would like to stick to below the 6m mark but, this time round, have the bikes on board in a garage model. The Hymer sounds good on paper as it is narrower. Very tempting after the roads ( and especially the tunnels) in Norway!

Unfortunately we read in this month's Which Motorhome that the only Laika Ecovip on show at the NEC will not be the 300 and it also looks like the Hymer will not be present either. Has anyone seen either of these vans on their travels anywhere? We are going to Germany at half-term and have contacted Hymer in the hope that they can point us in the direction of a German/ Belgian dealer who has one in stock. We are just about to do the same with Laika.

A bit disappointing as the reviews had raised our hopes that we could find a good replacement for our van.

We would love to have another Rapido but their equivalent vans are over 6m- not great when we want to see more of Scandinavia.

The only Hymer Exsis t model on show is the 588 so a bit long for you. There is an Exsis-I 404 which is only 8" longer at 6.20mtrs and is far more roomy than the t-414 with a bike sized garage.

Thanks bolero boy.

We did want to keep to the sub 6m length and although liking the Exsis model Hymer had on their stand, we really preferred the Laika Ecovip. We have been researching our new van for many months and actually it didn't take us long to decide on an Ecovip 300. We have seen a Laika X-range similar model several times over the last year so know the layout etc. We also received outstanding service and help directly from one of the the Italian Sales Department of Laika beforehand. Unfortunately, the same service was not matched by Hymer, although given exactly the same opportunity to do so. We shall be sorry to part with our Rapido, which has been superb, but unfortunately they don't make a small enough model, suitable for an over six footer who wants to store bikes, chairs etc within the 6m length.

We were actually disappointed with the standard of vans which we saw yesterday. In our view, while I we accept other people have different views, the Autotrail V-line looked like a dentist's waiting room and not anywhere we would want to spend any time, the Hobbys were ostentatious, the Autosleepers left us cold and the Baileys looked cheap. They all sound good on paper but so many of the vans looked gimmicky and not really well thought through. My husband couldn't believe how much storage space had been lost under the bed of the new Autosleeper Kingham. Does anyone use these vans?

However, although busy, the show was not as crowded as we have experienced before and we could get into any of the vans we wanted without having to queue. There were queues at the IH stand but we were certainly not in the market for any van where we had to make up beds. Fine- it only takes two minutes but we had caravans and motorhomes for years when our children were small and we don't want to go back to all that shuffling and getting beds made up.

Anyway, we hope everyone who went to the show enjoyed it and got what they were looking for!

Cheers, Susan

Susan, glad you've made a decision on the Laika.

Re the Rapido, we looked at the 903df last year and were close to buying one, it has returned this year as the 803, a 6m A class with a fixed transverse double bed and garage underneath.

Also, the Kingham........well, I made the exact same comment on another thread. All that underbed space and the result was a letter box sized hatch....don't these testers go away in the damn van with the sort of kit you and I might take.

And the Bailey........we looked at the small drop down bed van (similar to Burstner it time 585) but were not allowed to see the bed move (health and safety!!!!) and the fridge door wouldn't open fully as the rear bathroom door was in the way and so the freezer couldn't be fully opened.....god forbid...)

Good luck with the Laika.

bolero boy - 2013-10-20 8:01 PM

And the Bailey........we looked at the small drop down bed van (similar to Burstner it time 585) but were not allowed to see the bed move (health and safety!!!!) and the fridge door wouldn't open fully as the rear bathroom door was in the way and so the freezer couldn't be fully opened.....god forbid...)

If you'd have walked around the back of the 2 new compact Bailey's you would have been able to see a console set up, where they were showing the drop down bed in operation.

Must admit, we were very disappointed with all the new "compact" models be it from Bailey, Elddis or Adria.

The biggest laugh we had at the show was in a drop down bed model (can't remember which one now) where a lady of a certain age was atop the bed and decided to see how easy it was to descend without using the supplied ladder. While the salesman was at the ladder end, she dismounted onto the passenger seat. When we peeked in she was upside down ( a la bat) and finally swung down somewhat ungainly, sideways onto the driver and passenger seat. After extricating herself and limbo'ing under the lowered bed, she greeted us with a smile and said "well that wasn't so bad".

lennyhb - 2013-10-20 8:11 PM

We have decided on a Hymer Exsis i678 not a model that's imported to the UK, only 4 for of the 10 models are imported.

Lenny, really good choice, IMHO.

Like the extra seat on the lounge and the comfort washroom, easier to use than the swing wall one in some models. Good garage, too, all in 7.20 length.

Did you know that Brian K has an Exsis-I now, a 578?

nuevoboy - 2013-10-20 9:38 PM

bolero boy - 2013-10-20 8:01 PM

If you'd have walked around the back of the 2 new compact Bailey's you would have been able to see a console set up, where they were showing the drop down bed in operation.

Must admit, we were very disappointed with all the new "compact" models be it from Bailey, Elddis or Adria.

The biggest laugh we had at the show was in a drop down bed model (can't remember which one now) where a lady of a certain age was atop the bed and decided to see how easy it was to descend without using the supplied ladder. While the salesman was at the ladder end, she dismounted onto the passenger seat. When we peeked in she was upside down ( a la bat) and finally swung down somewhat ungainly, sideways onto the driver and passenger seat. After extricating herself and limbo'ing under the lowered bed, she greeted us with a smile and said "well that wasn't so bad".

Brian, thanks, we did see the model at the rear but was not too I,pressed as it was only physically 'slotted' into the motorhome sidewall at one end, meaning it was a bit 'loose'.

Putting that aside, we went all round the van but there was not one external locker (apart from the gas and toilet cassette compartments) in the whole body....not sure how you are supposed to carry any kit.

It might be possible to get under a lounge seat from the inside but who wants to bring muddy levelling blocks or wellies into the lounge, or store outdoor chairs or tables in the lounge, kitchen or......dare I say, the shower.....

Small vans with no bed in the footprint may well be the way to go but the drop down bed has to be useable and comfortable and unobtrusive, like the really neat Pilote A600LA with over cab A class drop down bed.

Wonderful use of space but biggest drawback, outside lockers too small.

Looked at small Rapido 600FF as it has a slightly better rear locker but the bed was stuck in the down position as someone had broken the key off!

Guest JudgeMental
Ruby(Exsis) - 2013-10-12 9:42 AM

It is disappointing when you go to these shows hoping to see a full range of models, but end up just seeing more of the same models across different dealers. At the main show of the year a little bit more effort and collabaration between the manufacturers and main dealers would be very helpful.

I would have thought that there is generally enough revenue created by main stream buyers to allow the extremities of ranges to be shown as well - after all this is meant to be a 'show'.

I gave up on UK shows years back.....Just go to a major European show...Hymer have a whole hall at Düsseldorf...need at least a few days as its an enormous show and great fun. alternatively contact the hymer dealer in Belgium, he has abig stock usually and ask what he has..thy are less than 2 hrs from Calais.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2013-10-21 7:34 AM

lennyhb - 2013-10-20 8:11 PM

We have decided on a Hymer Exsis i678 not a model that's imported to the UK, only 4 for of the 10 models are imported.

Lenny, really good choice, IMHO.

Like the extra seat on the lounge and the comfort washroom, easier to use than the swing wall one in some models. Good garage, too, all in 7.20 length.

Did you know that Brian K has an Exsis-I now, a 578?

dont think its a 5 maybe a 6 something with twin single beds I know that..they are away on maiden voyage in france....

what exsis mode is there at 6 m with transverse bed and garage plse.you guys really need to readthe long term tests and reviews of alot of new vans on Promobil website....some interesting data

Archived