Cost of worm treatments for dogs in France

Billggski

derek500 - 2013-10-09 3:34 PM

Unfortunately, most vets believe the health check is compulsory, which it isn't. All they need to do by law is administer the worm tablet.

At 15 Euros I am quite happy for the vet to give the dog a health check!!

Unfortunately, most vets believe the health check is compulsory, which it isn't. All they need to do by law is administer the worm tablet.

i,m not sure this correct, our new passport still has it in & our vet and the DEFERA website say that the dog must be passed as fit to travel, also the ferry companies may refuse to allow the dog on board.

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners

bigal55 - 2013-10-09 6:20 PM

i,m not sure this correct, our new passport still has it in & our vet and the DEFERA website say that the dog must be passed as fit to travel, also the ferry companies may refuse to allow the dog on board.

Hi

Health check not required. We were stopped a couple of years back coming into the uk and I asked the customs lady just f or interest and she checked with her boss who said no needed. She told me she had never looked at it!

Peter

bigal55 - 2013-10-09 6:20 PM

Sorry, but that's not correct AFAIK - I specifically asked our vet about this as one of our dogs is very well travelled and the 'health check' section was full in her passport but the other sections still had some space in them so I didn't know whether or not to get a 'new' passport for her although some of the vets just used the spare section in the passport (can't remember what it was called) and wrote their health check info on that!. Our vet actually checked with DEFRA and found out that the 'health check' is meant for TRANSPORTATION companies, ie when THEY take responsibility for carrying YOUR pet, for example when you travel by plane and your pet is put into the hold. In this circumstance it is imperative that they have a health check carried out so that they know the pet is well before they will take responsibility for it.

The government website is very badly worded as it is too vague and should clarify what it actually means by 'transportation company' to avoid this speculation. Some ferry companies may require this to be completed but it could be due to some of them now providing kennels for you to put your pets in, rather than leave them in your car, so in effect they are taking responsibility for them in these kennels so again want to know that they are 'healthy'. When they remain in your car, however, it is your own 'accommodation' and therefore your responsibility still.

bigal55 - 2013-10-09 7:20 PM

Have you had your pet's passport checked going from the UK to France, to see if it's fit for travel? Why would they only bother if the dog was going the other way?

derek500 - 2013-10-09 9:16 PM

bigal55 - 2013-10-09 7:20 PM

Have you had your pet's passport checked going from the UK to France, to see if it's fit for travel? Why would they only bother if the dog was going the other way?

copied from the www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners website, for some reason the link won,t work

Fitness for travel

The transport company that you use to bring your pet into the UK may require you to provide a veterinary statement that it is healthy and fit to travel before they will allow it to board.

Before you bring your pet into the UK you should check with the transport company if they need this veterinary statement, and if so, what form which it should take. The veterinary statement may be provided either by:

Completion of section IX of the EU pet passport by a veterinarian confirming that ‘the animal is in good health and able to withstand carriage to its destination’ or

a private statement from a veterinarian stating that: ‘On [date], I examined the animal described in EU Pet Passport/third country official veterinary certificate numbered [enter serial number] and found it to be free from clinical signs of infectious or contagious disease, including external parasites, and in my opinion, is fit to travel’

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/overview

When you return to the UK

Staff from the travel company will scan your pet’s microchip and check your documents.

If you don’t have the correct documents or your pet hasn’t been properly prepared it will be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from. You must pay the costs for this

personaly i won,t be taking a chance

bigal55 - 2013-10-13 7:51 PM

Staff from the travel company will scan your pet’s microchip and check your documents.

If you don’t have the correct documents or your pet hasn’t been properly prepared it will be put into quarantine or sent back to the country it travelled from. You must pay the costs for this

I suggest you check with whatever operator you use to see what they say and save yourself some money.

As the website clearly says

Travelling within the EU (or into the EU from another ‘listed’ country)

When travelling to or returning to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs:

a microchip

a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)

a pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate

tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)

You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route.

We use DFDS and P&O several times a year and they never ever look at the health check page, as they know it's not needed. If they did they would see it's blank.

As I said before why would they be interested in my dog's health coming from France to the UK and not from the UK to France, when they don't even look at the passport?

Tracker - 2013-10-09 2:56 PM

Try this one in Alencon.

English speaking, very friendly, and charge just 15 Euros for check up and passport stamping for our border collie - plus 10 Euros for the Drontal which lasts for two visits and they are happy to use the other half next time.

http://clinique-coubertin.fr/

Afternoon folks,

Hi Tracker, Is the vet easy to find . We have been paying obout 40 euros for the past few years , so what the op paid is well into rip off teritory

norm

goldi - 2013-10-14 4:19 PM

Try this one in Alencon.

English speaking, very friendly, and charge just 15 Euros for check up and passport stamping for our border collie - plus 10 Euros for the Drontal which lasts for two visits and they are happy to use the other half next time.

Hi Tracker, Is the vet easy to find . We have been paying about 40 euros for the past few years , so what the op paid is well into rip off territory.

It's on the D112 Ave de Quakenbruck to the North East of the town.

N48 26.298' E000 06.149' in the sat nav will take you to the door - well it does us!!

Book by phone or by email.

There is parking but it can be tight for big vehicles - and small ones too at times - so maybe best to park on main road.

derek500 - 2013-10-13 7:24 PM

bigal55 - 2013-10-13 7:51 PM

I suggest you check with whatever operator you use to see what they say and save yourself some money.

As the website clearly says

Travelling within the EU (or into the EU from another ‘listed’ country)

When travelling to or returning to the UK from another EU or non-EU listed country your pet needs:

a microchip

a rabies vaccination (make sure your pet is microchipped first or the vaccination won’t count)

a pet passport or official third country veterinary certificate

tapeworm treatment (for dogs only)

You must also use an authorised carrier and an approved route.

We use DFDS and P&O several times a year and they never ever look at the health check page, as they know it's not needed. If they did they would see it's blank.

As I said before why would they be interested in my dog's health coming from France to the UK and not from the UK to France, when they don't even look at the passport?

each to his own as i said i won,t be taking a chance, what,s 10e against want we have spent on a 2000m trip :D

• 4 weeks later...
maggyd - 2013-10-09 6:17 PM

We paid 28 euro for two dogs taking our own Drontal tab; at Marquis just off the A16 near Calais.

Can you remember the name of the vet Maggyd? It seems there are several vets and two premises. I might need to use one of these n a couple of weeks.

Try this one in Alencon.

I might possibly use this road on the way home so looked it up. The names have changed and the website link does not work now but I have found the phone number. Is it a long time since you used this vet?

Patricia - 2013-11-07 8:13 PM

Try this one in Alencon.

I might possibly use this road on the way home so looked it up. The names have changed and the website link does not work now but I have found the phone number. Is it a long time since you used this vet?

We were there towards the end of September Patricia.

Try this link - http://clinique-coubertin.fr/

Or this one - http://clinique-coubertin.fr/clinique

If you use Google Chrome it should translate the page automatically for you and sorry but I have no idea what has changed or why?.

Thanks Rich - no problem this time with the link. Looks a lovely surgery but then all the ones that I have visited in France are spotless, not like our hospitals. They really do put us to shame. I might very well decide to give them a visit. If I pass that way I ring them to see if they will give my Sheltie the Drontal in pill form - some French vets insist on the injection and when they are tiny it really hurts them.

Good luck Patricia and yes they are very clean and smart and everyone we have met in the four visits we have had has been quite charming and courteous.

They don't all speak English but they all try their best to communicate with us as best we all mutually can.

My French is mostly forgotten 55 years old 'O' Level grade so I tend to book ahead by email which they confirm back in English but if you have a better grasp of French I expect that a phone call will work for you.

I wish I were on commission for new customers for them!

Tracker - 2013-11-07 10:10 PM

I wish I were on commission for new customers for them!

Have you had many enquiries then?

Fortunately the language is not a problem although I must learn to check my English before I hit the submit button1 For some reason my keyboard needs to be pressed quite hard otherwise it misses out letters.

I have just noticed that the annual vaccinations are overdue so will need to get them done too.

As an aside, are there any good aires in that area?

Patricia - 2013-11-08 9:06 AM

As an aside, are there any good aires in that area?

Sorry, I don't know as we are just passing through on our way to Calais and generally start the day some 100 miles South and end the day about 100 miles further on!

There are no Aires close to Alencon shown in our book that are on our route, but there may well be places to stop that we are as yet unaware of?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Archived