ramps for dog and travelling safely

dundon

I have an Elddis Autoquest 120 and am worried about my 2 dogs travelling loose in the back. A metal cage is too heavy (I am on my own, female and suffer from arthritis in my hands). Can anyone suggest some sort of restraint that I could erect whilst travelling and take down easily? Also my collie type dog has had a second cruciate ligament injury and is not allowed to climb steps. I say climb but she has always jumped from ground level into the van, this must stop. I have a proper dog ramp for my back steps at home but it is too heavy to set up and travel with. Would anyone have any suggestion for a lightweight and homemade version of a ramp so that she could get in and out of the van? At present there is no outings at all in the van because of her injury. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

We had a German Shepherd who suffered from CDRM (a bit like MS) and who had limited functionality in his back legs. Our joiner made a ramp about 3 metres long made from plywood and hinged in the middle it was light enough for my wife to handle and keep in the boot of our hatchback. When deployed two aluminum u-shaped sections were slid onto the sides of the ramp so that it was rigid. Our dog weighed 50kg and was able to walk into the boot (probably higher than a m/h step). A trip round B&Q should reveal suitable plywood and hinges and the big stores will cut that to size for you for a small fee. The Builders yard there should also reveal the strengthening bars. I am afraid I cant remember what the bars were really for perhaps shelf supports or something.

Good luck

I bought a retractable dog guard/cargo net for a Citroen C5 estate from eBay. £15 and very strong, wide mesh like the sort on bunk beds. Wedges in the opening to the bottom bnk with hooks to hold it up. (Yes the dogs have the best bed) About a metre wide and 70cm high. Retracts when not in use and can be stowed away.

Two year old labs so no mobility problems yet.

I am gonna have to think about a ramp for my 7yr old ally he's just been diagnosed with hip displacia and cant manage steps,lifting him in at the moment but i cant keep doing it.For restraint in van what about a travel harness if you have something to secure it to,halfords sell them and argos

dundon - 2013-10-14 1:19 PM

I have an Elddis Autoquest 120 and am worried about my 2 dogs travelling loose in the back. A metal cage is too heavy (I am on my own, female and suffer from arthritis in my hands). Can anyone suggest some sort of restraint that I could erect whilst travelling and take down easily? Also my collie type dog has had a second cruciate ligament injury and is not allowed to climb steps. I say climb but she has always jumped from ground level into the van, this must stop. I have a proper dog ramp for my back steps at home but it is too heavy to set up and travel with. Would anyone have any suggestion for a lightweight and homemade version of a ramp so that she could get in and out of the van? At present there is no outings at all in the van because of her injury. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

We use a dog safety harness for our lab, something similar to the one below.

http://www.easyanimal.co.uk/bergen-car-dog-harness.html

To attaché to a safety point I use a climbing loop (about 1metre long) and a karabiner for quick release. Had a variety of safety points in different m/ homes, the best is a seat belt in the back but have also used parts of the seat structure, which the climbing loop will loop on to, and poke out under the seat.

Been using this for 10+ years and our Labrador is quite relaxed about the process, she has plenty of space to curl up on the floor and, in the event of an accident, would not go to far.

Peter

We use a dog travel safety harnes attached to a short lead which is securely fixed to one of the bed frames. Allows her to travel in comfort on the bed with some freedom of movement, she can sit up and look out of the window when she wants or curl up and sleep on the bed. In the event of an accident she would be safely for all concerned retained by the harnes. When traveling in the car the same harnes is attached to the rear seat belt.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived