Lyon advice please

michele

Whats in Lyon . Is it nice most of all suggestion as to where to stay . Is there any safe Aires how about campsites I have trawled the net but can not come up with anything that is open all year round around .

I imagine it to be a city with lots of unsavory people not unlike our own in big places . Not sure i would trust leaving the van whilst we went off for the day . Any suggestion we would be grateful most of all any info or advice would be helpful .

Hi, Not so long ago there were lots of reports which generally said avoid the local vicinity for overnights in transit. It is too close to motorways which give the nasties multiple fast routes to disappear down

Remember the time when reports were made about gas attacks, filling the van with sleeping gas etc, sounds unlikely but My preference is to avoid the place if you dont need to go there.

Wherever you go, be safe, and enjoy the travels.

Tonyg3nwl.

Actually unless people have firm avoid that place michele instruction we were going to visit the city . Seems we pass all these places but always have the children and for obvious reasons its not possible to get into some of the towns . So just me and him were thinking lets go do the places we pass but never see.

If anyone knows better please say ;-)

We stopped at Indigo Lyon two weeks ago, I believe it is open all year round. It is an ACSI site so max cost is €16 all in (against I believe it was €18.50 plus electric + other extras).

Reasonable site mainly hardstanding though almost all under trees but good for visiting the city which we found far from disappointing. Tickets are available from the site office for the transport system, regular bus just up from the entrance to site, at a cost of €5 per adult for the day and can be used on ALL the transport i.e. bus, trams, underground and Fernicular, which runs up to the Brassilica and to the Roman Ampitheatre.

The Brassilica is one of the best we have seen and the views from the Brassilica across the City are spectacular right across to Mont Blanc in the distance, all displayed on a directional map so you can see what you are looking at. Walking down through the gardens is worthwhile with many resturants at the bottom, most were reasonably priced as well, not something we have noticed for the last couple of years in France as eating out is now, normally, very expensive in our opinion!

In our opinion, Lyon was well worth the visit so much so that we will be going back to see more of what we did not have time to see.

Each to their own though, you may not like it there.

Bas

Just got back last night from France. Not many sites and even aires open, most closed end of September, the rest seemed to be closing on 13th October. Went to site in La Rochelle, which ACSI book said open to end of October, when we got there found it closed end of September, met a couple at next place who had the same problem. We went down to Med coast, found they had shut, came back over to the Vendee, think they may still be open, only to find they were all closed. The French think most people only have 2 weeks holiday, so don't cater for later dates!

Re Michelle question gas/electric heating, we found the gas was much warmer quicker, than the electric, and you will need heating,as it got cold at night.

Check site is open before you go!

PJay

Indigo appears to be open as on their booking page it is showing availability to December and the following months, see

http://www.camping-indigo.com/en/node/267?module=module_resa_ext&lg=en&idcamp=7&date_arrivee=&date_retour=&type=campsite

and you can actually book in the middle of December I just tried it!

I thought I did recall seeing they were open all year.

Bas

Archived