advice needed on smart phone

swaythling5

Guest 1footinthegrave

Good luck with it then mate, it was just a suggestion, why am I surprised by the sarcastic reply, go feck yourself, perhaps you can download an app for that, in your case really essential.

I was thinking about the iBoost motorhome wifi aerial and hotspot combo which is a bit like the Faculty X aerial .

I saw this at the NEC this week and it didn't look that difficult to set up but it's obvious that you need something wireless to use a tablet that lacks the physical connectivity of a laptop. Also we could run our 2 iPads and smartphone from the same device.

Anyone used this set up, I realise its around £200, but if it works well it would be a sensible addition to the van infrastructure.

Guest Had Enough
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-22 1:55 PM

Good luck with it then mate, it was just a suggestion, why am I surprised by the sarcastic reply, go feck yourself, perhaps you can download an app for that, in your case really essential.

No, it wasn't a suggestion. It was a typical Onefoot position, which you demonstrate regularly, in which you express surprise that others don't do exactly as you do. As you stated, you can't understand this 'preoccupation' that people have with tablets. In other words, you don't have a need for a tablet so why would anyone else?

Anyway, I'm sorry to see that, as well as this characteristic that you display you also haven't lost any of your foul-mouthed vitriol. So, if you don't mind I'll now cease this conversation with you and carry on with someone sensible.

Guest Had Enough
bolero boy - 2013-10-22 2:20 PM

I was thinking about the iBoost motorhome wifi aerial and hotspot combo which is a bit like the Faculty X aerial .

I saw this at the NEC this week and it didn't look that difficult to set up but it's obvious that you need something wireless to use a tablet that lacks the physical connectivity of a laptop. Also we could run our 2 iPads and smartphone from the same device.

Anyone used this set up, I realise its around £200, but if it works well it would be a sensible addition to the van infrastructure.

Faculty-X also do the same set-up, the only difference being that it's about half the price! The iBoost is incredibly expensive. The aerials look identical.

Faculty-X admit that their system isn't quick or easy to set up and I suppose that watching an expert at a show who's done it a hundred times would make it seem simple.

Unless of course the iBoost system has managed to make it very different. Here's a link to the Faculty-X version and if you read the instructions it's not exactly plug and play.

http://www.faculty-x.net/wl-usbwifirpt-3000.htm

If you do go for the iBoost I hope that you post your experience of it, that would be very helpful.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Had Enough - 2013-10-22 2:35 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-22 1:55 PM

No, it wasn't a suggestion. It was a typical Onefoot position, which you demonstrate regularly, in which you express surprise that others don't do exactly as you do. As you stated, you can't understand this 'preoccupation' that people have with tablets. In other words, you don't have a need for a tablet so why would anyone else?

Anyway, I'm sorry to see that, as well as this characteristic that you display you also haven't lost any of your foul-mouthed vitriol. So, if you don't mind I'll now cease this conversation with you and carry on with someone sensible.

I had a need to be able to access the internet with a lightweight device with as little hassle as possible, and something with a proper keyboard, hence my suggestion, your immediate response was pure sarcasm, so yes please do find someone more sensible, and perhaps you're response to any suggestion given in good faith by them could be a little more measured, like thanks for the idea, but it does not suit my purpose. ;-)

Not being very tekky with all this stuff,all I can say is I bought mini iPad,Apple,last June, I've just been all over Germany,connected automatically to any Wi Fi source everywhere,often free,if I paid anything,often on campsites,it was usually I euro for one hour,often lasted longer. Cost of iPad £279.00 no other charges,suits me with cheap pay as you go mobile,texts 8p calls 28p min. Dave

Had Enough - 2013-10-22 12:25 PM

peterjl - 2013-10-16 10:26 AM

I agree with most of the above except you can use a wifi booster with a tablet, it works a treat. (That being said i also carry a small laptop for backing up pictures but it doesn't get switched on that often)

Tablets are also easy to take into towns to get free wifi.

peter

I'm considering buying a Google Nexus 10" tablet when the new model comes out in a few days. With this in mind I have researched the tablet/booster problem, both with a booster manufacturer and with experts on an Android forum that I frequent.

My research tells me that the upshot is that you cannot use a conventional wi-fi booster on any of these Android/iPad tablets. There are two main reasons, one being the relatively large power drain used by many boosters. This is up to 5 volts and whilst that's not a problem for a laptop it would drain a tablet so much that it wouldn't operate properly.

The second is that. unlike Windows for instance. the basic Android platform does not allow the necessary drivers to be used.

However, one can buy a booster which works by creating its own wi-fi zone, into which any device that has wi-fi can link, be it a laptop, smartphone or tablet.

The problem with these is two-fold, the first being the expense and the second being the relatively complex setting up, a pain if you've just stopped for a couple of minutes on a retail park to use the free wi-fi offered by various supermarkets and other establishments. They are not exactly 'plug and play' like a 'normal' usb booster.

The cost of this kind of kit can be from £110 to £200. I have two usb boosters for my laptop. The first is a small one with a three-inch aerial and it plugs into my laptop's usb socket and cost a tenner! It greatly increases the sensitivity and is often all that I need.

If this doesn't work I bring out the big gun that I got from Faculty-X. This is about 18 inches high and is waterproof. I attach it on the outside of the 'van with a very secure suction pad and it has a long lead that again, plugs into a usb socket.

I can buy the wi-fi-zone creator, for want of a better word, that will enable me to set up a wi-fi zone that a tablet can log into but it's another £60 and, as I said, is a long way from being plug and play!

I'm interested to know what system you use, as I simply cannot find any way of using a reasonably priced aerial usb booster on a tablet. Do you have one of these set-ups that creates a wi-fi zone?

I'm hoping that you can tell me something I don't know here, as the lack of a usb booster is all that's stopping me from buying the tablet of my choice and sticking with a laptop.

Thanks.

Hi

We use faculty X cos with my own wifi area birth my wife and I can both log in with a range of tablets inc

2 x iPads for the daily papers and emails

2 x itouch for podcasts (we listen to different radio programmes some of the time - also great to download programmes to listen to as we drive)

Nexus if I am updating maps for local navigation in towns Etc or to download books to the Kindle app or download books from the library back home (have to use my libraries app)

I agree you can.t set it up for a quck browse but then I don't use it like that. If I am on the road I use McDs or if in a town in uk Barclays or some other free wifi point.

Hope that covers what unasked

Peter

bolero boy - 2013-10-22 2:20 PM

PS forgot to say, I'm also thinking of joining FON (box is £34) so as to be able these hotspots worldwide.

Again, anyone a FON member, apparently 90% of BT customers opt in (its the default so less than 10% opt out).

Guest 1footinthegrave
I'm not sure if you mean the BT wi-fi hotspot facility,although I've not heard it referred to by Fon, is it the same as we have that as part of our BT package I wonder, but the OP was asking about use over the water, and although there are supposed to be some in France from where we have just returned from for the last 6 weeks we never found one.

Mike, FON is an organisation that has partnered up with any telecoms providers, including BT and T-mobile (I think) to promote a sort of wifi sharing community.

A FON member makes a small portion of their home wifi available to other FON members by splitting off a small part of their home broadband signal.

Any member can then use these donated signals when they are away from home.

All BT broadband users have the option of being part of the FON community, the default option is IN unless you specifically opt out.

I suspect that you are broadcasting a small FON signal but may not know it.

FON is international and BT wifi (or whatever it's current name is) is part of that total FON group.

If you were in France (say) you would not find a BTwifi hotspot but if you had found a FON hotspot (12 million apparently) you would have been able to log in with your BT home login.

In this country, as there are very many BT customers (and only 10% have opted out) there are loads of FON (BT wifi donated by home broadband users) spots that can be used.

For those who are not already with FON or a BT customer, you just by a FON router for £39 and plug it into the back of your home router. It splits the signal roughly 90% 10% for you and for outside use by other FON members. This one of cost then entitles you to use all the millions of hotspots (including BT home broadband routers) in the UK.

in other countries, Luther telecoms companies have partnered up in the FON group to provide similar service.

No subscription costs.

That's the theory, I was wondering if we have any FON users here or BT customers who have piggy backed on another BT router via FON.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Ah yes, thanks Chris I was aware of the BT wi-fi hotspot login ability and part of my bandwidth being used, but have never heard of the term Fon but thanks to you and a google search it all becomes clear, and also clarifies why I'm mistaken when I see someone parked up by us that I think are casing the joint. ;-) Just a pity BT seems a little reluctant to give this information out by connecting I now learn is through Neuf Fon spots in France, would have saved me drinking all those French McDonalds cappuccinos ;-)

Just visited a couple of friend who have rented out their house and are currently in their van for a couple more weeks before departing across the Channel for 4 months or so.

Guess what, he was using his MAC connected to a residential BT router a few hundred yards away as they have a FON unit at home and were using their login to get at the shared portion.

Incidentally, they were using a bespoke aerial set up. They don have a TV (watch the odd program via the net) so didn't need their Status directional aerial. This has been adapted by opening up the cover and removing the TV specific antenna and replacing this with a wifi type aerial, thus giving a directional wifi finder, neat.

A bit of software to enable connection and a small router type device to distribute the signal and you can connect multiple devices.

A plan.....?

Archived