CCC adopts Ryanair pricing model

Brians dad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1footinthegrave - 2013-10-16 11:38 PM

You may be correct, but I always cringe when I see things like OAP specials,free bus passes, senior citizen railcards, and age concession CCC fees, and trust me I'm far from well healed, but I simply cannot see the justification in age concessions, especially when some less well of than me end up effectively paying for those concessions. :-S

Still my winter fuel payment will get me a tyre, I can afford my fuel bills otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford this lark. ;-) like everyone else on here can getting their CCC concessions.

If you feel so strongly about these "handouts", you could always donate your winter fuel allowance to charity to help some of the less well off. Sorry, just a thought !

Sundowner - 2013-10-17 8:34 AM

If you feel so strongly about these "handouts", you could always donate your winter fuel allowance to charity to help some of the less well off. Sorry, just a thought !

Well said Sundowner !

No-one is being forced to hold on to these ' handouts '.

... and it's not compulsory to apply for a bus pass.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-10-17 8:46 AM

Sundowner - 2013-10-17 8:34 AM

Well said Sundowner !

No-one is being forced to hold on to these ' handouts '.

... and it's not compulsory to apply for a bus pass.

:-D

Anybody wishing to salve their guilty conscience................I am happy to email my bank details ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-16 11:38 PM

I can afford my fuel bills otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford this lark. ;-) like everyone else on here can getting their CCC concessions.

I too am not in need of government support but when I consider how much tax in all it's overt and subvert guises I have paid over the years and continue to pay I have no guilt whatsoever in taking any legal freebies that any level of government feels obliged to send my way.

Similarly with Royal Mail shares - thank you very much Messrs Cable and Osborne - I'm very grateful - every little helps!

Guest 1footinthegrave

Lets hope your still grateful when the prices get hiked big time, and you only get your mail once a week. ;-)

Oh that's if the postal workers are not on strike, despite being given £3500 in shares.

Privatisation of the energy firms was a resounding success, now I only have a choice of about 200 tariffs, all of which are roughly the same. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-17 10:08 AM

Lets hope your still grateful when the prices get hiked big time, and you only get your mail once a week. ;-)

Oh that's if the postal workers are not on strike, despite being given £3500 in shares.

Privatisation of the energy firms was a resounding success, now I only have a choice of about 200 tariffs, all of which are roughly the same. :D

I have no control over the future of Royal Mail and I do not let that which I have control over worry me - life's too short!

However I suspect there will be huge upheaval as it is dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century - probably by a foreign owner in due course.

Of course had this been done when it was first mooted in the 80's we would probably now have a world class Royal Mail - although probably still foreign owned!

I disagree about energy prices, and whilst I have no control over what they choose to charge I do have control over which one charges it.

There is a huge variation of prices available as any check on any comparison site will tell you.

The best rates for us are currently NPower, but that may change soon, and whenever the USwitch website suggests I could get a better deal elsewhere, and if the saving is worthwhile, I phone NPower and more often than not get switched to a better tariff.

Why not try it - it costs nothing and can save quite a bit!

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well it may be more productive than spending time on here, I've just looked at my present suppliers tariffs, and I lost count after, I kid you not,.................... 90 different ones, how feckin barmy is that. ? why the hell can't they simply offer the same "best" price to everyone, one flew over the cuckoos nest stuff IMO.

And Scottish power I've now discovered is owned by a Spanish company that buys its gas from Russia. 8-)

Now I've just tried to log in again to Scottish powers site to my online account, and this message has come up, brilliant eh.

Something went wrong

We are sorry for the inconvenience

If you were dealing with an urgent matter, please call us on 0845 270 0700.

And their phone lines are "experiencing a high volume of calls"

Update, I've just got through, they tell me their systems including the website is down and cannot access anyone's details, can I call back later today, ah the wonders of technology.

Back on topic after the 'anticipated' hijack which all too soon arrived........

I'm all for the reduction in cancellation period.  It stops those who book a few different sites over the same period and cancel the ones they don't want/need at the last minute.

Like Tracker said before going off on a tangent..........I'll take any concessions/reductions etc I can. I've paid in enough to accept without 'blushing' over any returns that come my way.

What I don't like is the 'Ryanair/Easyjet' pricing structure.................low demand so keep prices down......rising demand so hike prices.  It is WRONG.  Pitch fees should be seasonal as has been the case for a long time.  I feel this variation in pricing will be the cause of a lot of ill feeling amongst members and the management should take heed.  With this new structure you'll never know the price for certain until you go to book,  in which time it might have gone skywards because I can't in all honesty see them dropping the price at any time.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Anticipated hijack or not, it's all in the same territory, it's all designed to fleece the end user, and make life over complicated, I'll get candles when at home, and stick to French Aires over the water.. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-17 11:11 AM

Anticipated hijack or not, it's all in the same territory, it's all designed to fleece the end user, and make life over complicated, I'll get candles when at home, and stick to French Aires over the water.. ;-)

Ignoring Roger's rants - well he is from Wiltshire after all - all you need to do on the USwitch website Mike is to enter the supplier and tariff you are already on together with your anticipated annual spend/usage and let their computer work out whether you could do better.

Mind you it is not infallible so do check the actual rates on offer prior to committing to switch!

Simples enough for even me to use!!

Guest 1footinthegrave
Tracker - 2013-10-17 11:19 AM

Ignoring Roger's rants - well he is from Wiltshire after all - all you need to do on the USwitch website Mike is to enter the supplier and tariff you are already on together with your anticipated annual spend/usage and let their computer work out whether you could do better.

Mind you it is not infallible so do check the actual rates on offer prior to committing to switch!

Well as I said earlier as I'm on an online tariff and cannot ( nor can the Scottisj power call centre ) access my details to find out exactly which one I'll have to leave it till later on, but I will give it a go, thanks.

malc d - 2013-10-17 12:56 PM

Constantly surfing the net - comparing prices / tariffs - switching suppliers - is what I call ' work '

Having retired I have decided not to work any more.

I doubt if, over time, it makes much difference anyway.

;-)

I believe that's called apathy Malc and it is what the power suppliers and the banks rely on retain customers!

I see it somewhat differently in that I have time available at no cost to me so anything that I do that increases my income by reducing my costs has to be worth the effort, after all there is little point in having competition, however limited it may be, if not enough people use it?

Tracker - 2013-10-17 1:22 PM

malc d - 2013-10-17 12:56 PM

Constantly surfing the net - comparing prices / tariffs - switching suppliers - is what I call ' work '

Having retired I have decided not to work any more.

I doubt if, over time, it makes much difference anyway.

;-)

I believe that's called apathy Malc and it is what the power suppliers and the banks rely on retain customers!

Well I believe it is what I call the " illusion of choice " - where people are fed the idea that are in control .

Seems to keep the masses happy though.

:-|

I was determined not to join in on the side-line debate that has developed but having only ever switched once, never again. I switched the lot, gas, electric and phone to one company as they promised massive savings by moving the lot. I got charged £35 by British Gas for 'disconnection', £30 by BT for 'disconnection' and Scottish Power obviously didn't care less. Plus I must have had over 20 calls from all three trying to make me stay. What I was supposed to save was eaten up by these charges. Never again.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-17 11:11 AMAnticipated hijack or not, it's all in the same territory, it's all designed to fleece the end user, and make life over complicated, I'll get candles when at home, and stick to French Aires over the water.. ;-)
Ignoring Roger's rants - well he is from Wiltshire after all - all you need to do on the USwitch website Mike is to enter the supplier and tariff you are already on together with your anticipated annual spend/usage and let their computer work out whether you could do better. Mind you it is not infallible so do check the actual rates on offer prior to committing to switch!Simples enough for even me to use!!

It wasn't a 'rant'......when I 'rant' it's much heavier than that   :-).  I was simply trying to get a topic back on track....

Guest 1footinthegrave
paulmold - 2013-10-17 1:54 PM

I was determined not to join in on the side-line debate that has developed but having only ever switched once, never again. I switched the lot, gas, electric and phone to one company as they promised massive savings by moving the lot. I got charged £35 by British Gas for 'disconnection', £30 by BT for 'disconnection' and Scottish Power obviously didn't care less. Plus I must have had over 20 calls from all three trying to make me stay. What I was supposed to save was eaten up by these charges. Never again.

I was reluctant to mention my previous only one occasion to switch, but I did, to Npower, the resulting chaos still has me waking up in a cold sweat years later, and don't get me started about Broadband deals.

So to get back on track, would we all be better served if all of these companies gave the consumer clear pricing, not 90 bloody tariffs from just one company that I'm currently with, and ditto the CCC club, next they'll be introducing BOGOF deals, when you only want one Pork chop.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-17 12:17 PM

Well as I said earlier as I'm on an online tariff and cannot ( nor can the Scottisj power call centre ) access my details to find out exactly which one I'll have to leave it till later on, but I will give it a go, thanks.

No disrespect but I assume you do get an invoice every now and then. This will clearly show what you are currently paying. Web sites will only show the current payment rates, you may be on an older one which is still running.

The other suggestion before you start shopping around is to find out exactly what your new costs will be as these may not be the same as what is indicated by media etc. Plus comparison websites show a number of costs but again these are based on the 'official' numbers and you may do better yourself. Plus the figures shown may change quick enough after you have signed up. Making 1 step forward to go 2 back is not always the answer.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Dave225 - 2013-10-17 3:09 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-17 12:17 PM

No disrespect but I assume you do get an invoice every now and then. This will clearly show what you are currently paying. Web sites will only show the current payment rates, you may be on an older one which is still running.

The other suggestion before you start shopping around is to find out exactly what your new costs will be as these may not be the same as what is indicated by media etc. Plus comparison websites show a number of costs but again these are based on the 'official' numbers and you may do better yourself. Plus the figures shown may change quick enough after you have signed up. Making 1 step forward to go 2 back is not always the answer.

No I'm on the new kid on the block, paperless billing. all by email, or online ;-) just a pity both their website, and call centre systems have crashed. 8-)

Personally having had a mooch around the savings are not that great, think I'll keep my blood pressure low and forget it. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I think you'll be the next rising star, sounds like you have the necessary attitude. ;-)

But just to get you up to speed, it's about companies and their pricing policies, and how they affect all of us, perhaps you have something to add to the discussion ? ;-)

Archived