Fridge, no 12 volt operation.

Guest 1footinthegrave

Guest 1footinthegrave

We were just into week one of our last trip only to discover the fridge was not running on 12 volt, the engine bay relay is fine. The fridge in question is a Dometic RM series RM6360. anyone had a similar problem at all ?

When it happened faced with a Fridge full of food I decided to run it on Gas, and did so for 6 weeks without issue, that got me wondering why not, does anyone else do that ?

Have you checked the supply when the engine is running at the back of the fridge, on mine it is easily accessed via the outside panels (as per pic..) If you have power it is possible the 12v heating element has gone you can check this by feeling if the element is hot to touch (careful not to burn yourself ).For info the elements 240/12 are stuck in the fibre glass insulation round the chimney.(another pic)

Like pics they give you a better idea of what Im on about.

Brian

1023716330_12vHeatersupply.JPG.37f49f5dd40d3c618cbf2ec48dd0707d.JPG

2106881848_12vand240vheaters.JPG.f2cffd4ad28c42daaa911067fe60aa80.JPG

My Dometic Fridge suffered the same problem, OK on gas, OK on EHU, but dead on van 12volts. It started with an intermittent buzzing noise when selected to 12 volts. The problem was low voltage reaching the fridge selector, only 4 volts, insufficient to make the relay operate to switch to 12 volt. After a lot of scrabbling around trying to follow wires through the bodywork, I found the problem was caused by a bad connection in the main motorhome wiring box of tricks. As soon as this connector was made good, the fridge worked. Good luck, hope your problem is as simple to solve.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Many thanks for that, oddly just today I've determined there is full voltage reaching the back of the fridge, so now the changeover switch is next up to investigate, fridge out job. :'(

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-24 11:08 PM

Many thanks for that, oddly just today I've determined there is full voltage reaching the back of the fridge, so now the changeover switch is next up to investigate, fridge out job. :'(

When you say full voltage is that 12 or 240 if 12 then cant be the change over switch ......Having reread your post Im taking it its 240v,so the switch is a possibility.

Brian

Guest 1footinthegrave
No, at the moment I've just determined there is a 12.7 volts reading on the cable leading up to the selector switch, not from it, as I cannot see where the 12 volt supply connects to the 12 volt heater, but trying to see anything much through the fridge vents is useless, hence my plan to take it out. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-25 8:37 AM

No, at the moment I've just determined there is a 12.7 volts reading on the cable leading up to the selector switch, not from it, as I cannot see where the 12 volt supply connects to the 12 volt heater, but trying to see anything much through the fridge vents is useless, hence my plan to take it out. ;-)

A couple of years back, in my autotrail, the same thing happened. Rang Dometic engineer, he came out and fitted a new 12v heater which solved problem. Luckily all under warranty. Details of local engineers a re on website.

Good luck

Peter

Archived