First Motorhome

Rosierose

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 7:25 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-23 7:12 PM

gwyn - 2013-10-23 6:55 PM

We bought a new van in 2006 after a few months of research, we still have it and have always been happy with our choice. We were fortunate in that our first long trip 3 months after buying it ended up being all the way to Portugal and back in three weeks for a particular event......we have never looked back

from memory? :-S You have a La Strada? No wonder problem free..One of the best built vans going....I am seriously considering one.

Are they foreign by any chance ? >:-)

Err, they could be. I had a Swift Sundance for nearly five years from new with not a problem, perhaps Eddie will consider one of them next.

Rosie,

We are on our third van in about 8 years, we started with a Old (18 year old..Then) Autosleeper which I completely re-furbished, then an Autocruise, which we loved, but became worried about the spares situation (as Swift seemed very unhelpful). Then last year on Holiday in Your 'neck of the woods' we bought a new Autotrail from Simpsons in Gt. Yarmouth, we got a terrific deal against our 2005 Autocruise. So, we now have a 2012 Autotrail Savannah (2 single rear beds). We DID try Becks at Rollesby, and we were looking at a 2nd hand Burstner, but the offer was not good enough. They also had some new Bailey's at Becks, and we considered one, But they wouldn't budge on their original offer for the Autocruise (strictly by 'Glasses guide price'). So, we couldn't do a deal. But I am glad we went to Simpsons, as we are pleased with the Autotrail. Good luck ! Ray

Ignore the 'Loyalties' 'Dislikes' of others, (including me) and make up your own mind. just make sure that you get your 'choice' right, as it can be an expensive mistake, Take your time before signing on the dotted line.

Hi Rosie / all - hope you don't mind another newbie joining your discussion/thread.

Like you we have been looking at joining the Motorhome brigade but are finding the choices extensive - the more we look the more we find, and the advice extensive, and (naturally) often down to personal choice/preference.

We have not as yet hired a Motorhome and this is probably the next step - get a 'feel' for what we like and don't like over a week or so.

We used to camp(briefly) and then Caravan when the children were tiny before sun, sand and holidays abroad beckoned. Now, approaching mid 50's and children flown nest time to get some 'us time' again.

So our plans are currently:

- Motorhome for two, but not too small

- Probably single beds

- trip to Northern France in April 2014 to tour Battlefields etc

- hire locally, Worcestershire/Gloucestershire/West Midlands (North or South M5/M50 Junction)

- anything else for initial planning

Subject to successful trip we will probably look to buy used.

Advice appreciated re Tourer or Northern France itinerary.

Rosierose - 2013-10-23 3:17 PM

onecal - 2013-10-23 3:02 PM

Hi Lisa.

Welcome to the forum, you are going about it the right way ,take your time and write down all on the wish list both You and He requires.There is a lot to cover. Then compromise a little, until you find what suits both of you. when you both are happy with what you want try hiring one out like it. Also ask Motorhome owners who may have one the same . Whether you go for new or old when you choose be proud it's yours, and enjoy.
Regards,
Brendan.

Hi and thanks Brendan :)

We have definitely found the right one and we did ask the question of the dealer, as to whether we could actually hire the same model for a weekend to make sure that it's the right one and that we are comfortable sleeping in it. It's not something that they would be prepared to do, unfortunately.

The make/model we want is the Bailey Autograph 740 - I can hear groans! lol But, that is the one that we have hardly had to compromise on when we drew up our list of wants and wishes ;)

We did wonder whether we should raise the question with Bailey direct?

Hi Rosie - I doubt you will be able to hire ANY Bailey Autograph at the moment as they are the new 2014 model. My guess is that the Dealers will only just be receiving "stock" vans for display & they are too new to be on any hire fleet before Q2/2014.

Do check the Warranty terms regarding any Bailey motorhome - they initially came out with a 10 year water ingress warranty, but that was soon dropped & after ?? (not sure)years there is now an annual payment after the initial period, to maintain the warranty for the 10years.

IIRC something to do with tightening the bolts in their construction method.

Hi Rosie,

I'd like to add my welcome and hope that you find enjoyment in all your motorhome travels. We live in East Anglian, just over the border in Suffolk and have first hand knowledge of both Simpsons and Becks. We visited Becks earlier this month and saw they are in the process of building new showrooms, having knocked down the old petrol station, which will give them better sales premises. Simpsons' sales area in now enormous but I noticed recently that their accessories area has shrunk. Both dealers appear to be doing well with a good turn-over of stock so they must be doing something right!

Hope this helps you.

Hi Rosie,

Congratulations on you prospective purchase. I would only raise one issue and that is the power of the base vehicle. Bailey have contracted for the basic fiat power unit for all the approach models and whilst this is fine for the smaller vehicles I think you will find that the larger vehicles will be noticeably underpowered due to the extra weight. This has allowed them to bulk buy and thus reduce the cost of the vehicle compared with others of the same ilk. You cannot opt for an upgrade to 2.3/150 as they don't do it. Get a test drive organised and if you can find some steep hills locally try the van up and down them and around wiggly a and B roads to make sure that there is enough power for the vehicle. Otherwise, I hope everything goes ok

Cheers............. Ned

Hi Rosie and welcome

We bought our new van about this time last year and got a good trade-in price for our last van. We have never regretted buying new but you have to bear in mind that you will lose a lot of money if you sell it within the first few years.

We bought both our vans from Simpsons in Great Yarmouth (http://www.simpsonsmc.com/). They are not Bailey dealers unfortunately (although they had a used one there a couple of weeks ago) but have always treated us fairly. Both times we have bought vans from them we have dealt with Greg who has been great.

Paul

Guest 1footinthegrave
ned - 2013-10-24 10:59 AM

Hi Rosie,

Congratulations on you prospective purchase. I would only raise one issue and that is the power of the base vehicle. Bailey have contracted for the basic fiat power unit for all the approach models and whilst this is fine for the smaller vehicles I think you will find that the larger vehicles will be noticeably underpowered due to the extra weight. This has allowed them to bulk buy and thus reduce the cost of the vehicle compared with others of the same ilk. You cannot opt for an upgrade to 2.3/150 as they don't do it. Get a test drive organised and if you can find some steep hills locally try the van up and down them and around wiggly a and B roads to make sure that there is enough power for the vehicle. Otherwise, I hope everything goes ok

Cheers............. Ned

Excellent advice, we had a CB with fixed bed a few years ago that once loaded with water etc was an absolute pain because it was so underpowered.

1footinthegrave - 2013-10-23 7:25 PM

JudgeMental - 2013-10-23 7:12 PM

gwyn - 2013-10-23 6:55 PM

We bought a new van in 2006 after a few months of research, we still have it and have always been happy with our choice. We were fortunate in that our first long trip 3 months after buying it ended up being all the way to Portugal and back in three weeks for a particular event......we have never looked back

from memory? :-S You have a La Strada? No wonder problem free..One of the best built vans going....I am seriously considering one.

Are they foreign by any chance ? >:-)

Yes a German build by a small company who do not make many each year. As it happens at the time we bought they were also the cheapest of that size. The only problem we've had so far is the fridge has just gone but that's not La Strada its Dometic

Archived