Truma secure motion valve, what best to replaceit with!

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

i only refill at local BP garage. and have only topped up a small amount abroad on 2 occasions... 2 x 11kg bottles in a panel van overkill for fine weather camping. maybe the valve on cooker and regulator failure connected as Derek says. whether I can get a regulator locally or sent from home(Mrs M would not receive in time) we will have to see...I will most definitely take advice on board and fit a filter this time! all my hoses were changed recently...

edit:

gaslow just responded and they will deliver next day via parcel force...fingers crossed! failing that daughter can post it on as a back up..

gas it dont do the cleese and cant get delivery in time, or post to spain as not set up for international

colin - 2013-10-25 9:28 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-25 8:45 AM

The Clesse-branded single-stage regulator that Gaslow markets is supposedly bomb-proof, but they aren't (to the best of my knowledge) fitted as original equipment to leisure vehicles nowadays and the number in general use will be small.

The reason we have a Clesse as spare, is that's what was supplied as standard with our Globecar.

That's interesting. I'm guessing that Globecar originally provided an on-bottle 30mbar regulator that was swapped for a Clesse bulkhead-mounted one in the UK.

The current (non-uk) Globecar specification listing suggests that Truma regulators allowing the gas-heater to be operated while travelling may be a cost-option in Germany, which would be a mite odd.

To check if you have gas reaching the outlet point where you light it. Its a bit like any electrical appliance start from the beginning. This may seem a bit naff but ... and refillable bottles were mentioned ... this could be the problem with soft gunge.

Place the bottle on the ground OUTSIDE with no hose attached. Turn on gas. Gas coming out good. Is it fast and loud good, turn on and off quickly several times, this may remove any gunge (which may be sticky). Then open bottle slowly If the escaping gas varies in sound then its possible there's a clogging of the hole at the bottle exit (it may sound like sucking up a straw when only the dregs are left. Remember also when the gas is being used it only trickles through (an ideal situation for sticky bits to seal a hole)

If the gas sound is varied then its possible the soft sticky gunge stuff has seeped up into all the conections AND BLOCKED THEM SOLID.

PS.

Having just read part of the investigation into the supply of refillable gasses I'm in no doubt that semi liquid particles are present all the time in the holding tanks, the supplies hoses and individual containers and that unless regularly emptied and cleaned, the blocking of ports will be certain at some stage. These 'foreign bodies' may attach themselves to the interior walls but movement of vehicles may cause them to float and be passed into individual users heating units.

A mighty Can-of-Worms might be an apt description here

Sincere apologies, guys. Just checked the van again and noticed the filler hose was masking my view of the bottom joint of the regulator so it appear to be 'soldered'.

I've just moved the hose to get a better view and I can now see the bottom connection is clearly a compression joint as described.

Makes my decision to carry a spare one easier if I can fit it this easily.

Sorry again guys :$

Guest JudgeMental

BUT! gas does get through for a short time when valve reset...but extinguishes almost immediately. feel reasonably confident that a new cleese valve will right the situation.

anyone know of a reliable and fast delivery service from UK to Spain please?

Guest 1footinthegrave
Having just put a refillable system in my van I thought it interesting that Gasit sell and supply a filter that's fitted to the gas outlet side, which I have fitted, from that not having a fixed bulkhead regulator, I have a bog standard Propane reg, the hope being that contaminates will be caught in the filter, and the reg I propose to change as I have always done on an annual basis, with a spare in the locker cupboard just in case. Given the hassle Eddie and many others have had it makes you wonder what benefit there is to these bulkhead regs, or am I missing something ?

Guest JudgeMental
Will85 - 2013-10-25 10:33 AM

Yes Eddie exactly so, like bubbles on a volcanic mud pool. the gasses 'pop' through then seal again.

No Will I think more likely to be the truma valve, they are notorious, could well be gunge but where is it, boottles almost full.......I purged the bottles and refilled last year, flow seemed OK...and fitted new hoses and brassware also

JudgeMental - 2013-10-25 10:26 AM

anyone know of a reliable and fast delivery service from UK to Spain please?

Any of the internet carrier companies can ship to Spain. You can arrange for the package to be collected from the supplier in the UK.

http://www.parcelsplease.co.uk/

http://www.parcel2go.com/search/country-search-results.aspx?country=spain%28mainlandonly%29

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-25 9:55 AM

colin - 2013-10-25 9:28 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-10-25 8:45 AM

The Clesse-branded single-stage regulator that Gaslow markets is supposedly bomb-proof, but they aren't (to the best of my knowledge) fitted as original equipment to leisure vehicles nowadays and the number in general use will be small.

The reason we have a Clesse as spare, is that's what was supplied as standard with our Globecar.

That's interesting. I'm guessing that Globecar originally provided an on-bottle 30mbar regulator that was swapped for a Clesse bulkhead-mounted one in the UK.

The current (non-uk) Globecar specification listing suggests that Truma regulators allowing the gas-heater to be operated while travelling may be a cost-option in Germany, which would be a mite odd.

Our 2011 model(ordered 2010) had option of "crash sensor gas system" @ £228, we ordered it without and fitted one later.

Guest JudgeMental

its nigh on impossible to search on the free wifi on this site *-)

Gaslow sending valve to spain + filter. which works out better..as long as it gets here!lol

I can see another thread emerging:D

"We can send by Airsure to Spain.

Delivery estimate is 4-5 days – cost is £14.50"

it was costing twice that fo rnext day delivery in UK, but Mrs M has to leave for airportlate morning

Mine has also failed, oddly whilst we were away on holiday, called out a mobile guy who unbolted the reg and tried the gas and it flowed freely, he then refit the reg and all worked well for 2 days till we drove to our next site, then it failed again, so it appears that with ours, by unbolting it, it somehow reset the crash sensor and allowed gas to flow...presumably :-(

Andy

Guest JudgeMental

Gaslow Cleese valve which was ordered Saturday arrived today! So we are back on gas! :-D

Big thanks for all the advice and to gaslows swift assistance....I have just taken of the lot and fixed the Cleese on wall connected to a single bottle. There does not seem to be room to accommodate the duo control ,but will sort that when I get home. Interestingly according to my motorhome dealer Truma have withdrawn the secure motion valves.....I wonder why! *-)

Gaslow do not supply an inline filter so need to source one of these on my return...

Have been away since early October and all has been on gas. I topped up LPG at weekend and have spent about three quid on gas. The emergency camp cooker with integral refills has cost about a tenner in refills as it uses nearly one to cook a proper meal! It really is cheeper to eat out down here.... :-D

Adios amigos!

PS. The 23 quid Honeywell gas sniffer/tester really does give you confidence when working on gas

Eddie, I'm not familiar with your system or exactly what you are referring to ... so please enlighten me and maybe others what and where the problem actually was such as ... was it at the gas cooking end and where the gas failed to ignite (where it wouldn't come out the hole) or was it at the bottle supply end valve that was not allowing the gas to pass through it ??

Guest JudgeMental

Will, I had no gas getting through ..... I suspected the trauma secure motion regulator (spelling intentional!) based on past experience of one failing, and the lamentable failure rate generally! Just google it.....it seems the situation so bad that they have now withdrawn them! But have been unprepared to accept liability in the past..I have two now that they can gladly have back for a refund but more a chance of pigs flying.....

Hope that clarifies it for you Will....Cheer Lenny!

JudgeMental - 2013-10-30 12:46 PM

Interestingly according to my motorhome dealer Truma have withdrawn the secure motion valves.....I wonder why! *-)

It's likely that motorhome manufacturers will no longer be fitting the "Secumotion" regulator to new vehicles, but it's apparently still available from Truma agents

http://www.thetrumacentre.co.uk/magento/truma/tma/truma-products/secumotion/truma-secumotion-drive-safe-gas-regulator-8mm.html

Secumotion was something of a design dead-end, as (for maximum efficacy) the regulator needed to be carefully matched to a motorhome's maximum gas-flow demands. This resulted in there being 3 different Secumotion regulators having maximum gas-flow rates of either 0.8kg/h, 1.2kg/h or 1.5kg/h. This complicated life for the converter who (in theory at least!) would need to calculate the gas-flow for each individual vehicle built based on the gas appliances fitted to it and then fit the appropriate Secumotion regulator. It also meant that retrofitting a gas appliance - adding an oven, say - might require a change of regulator.

The need for regulators with different gas-flow rates was removed by Truma's introduction of the CS (Crash Sensor) range, all of which have a flow-rate capability of 1.5kg/h.

http://dealer.truma.com/_anweisungen/Truma-Katalog/gb/gasvers_freizeit/monocontrol_cs.html

Truma has claimed that the 'guts' of the original 2-stage bulkhead-mounted regulator (that caused so many failure complaints in the UK in the mid-2000s) were no different from those of Secumotion. The latest CS design almost certainly has 'standard' 2-stage internals with a crash-sensor tacked on. In terms of potential failure then, CS regulators should not be expected to be any better than Secumotion ones.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Derek....dealer offered me this:

"The secumotion has been replaced by a new, but very similar system: Mono- and Duocontrol CS. Both are available for 10mm"

UK probably still getting rid of old stock? Ethical or what*-)

Archived