Whats Wrong With Rising Fuel Costs?

Guest Peter James

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-10-24 9:22 PM

Why don't people welcome rising fuel costs like they welcome rising housing costs ;-)

It could be because they don't burn their houses and they are still there when they want to sell them! ;-)

Do try to keep up dear boy! ;-)

Tracker - 2013-10-24 9:26 PM

It don't bother us 'cos we've got solar panels and several very good index linked pensions!!

The results of years of planning for an early retirement - and it worked!!

Doncha just love it when things just work?

Extremely selfish attitude. But what else would you expect.

I filled up with oil a couple of weeks ago and believe it or not it was less than last  year for 1000 ltrs.Thing is we put the bungalow up for sale and sold it within 5hrs of going public and our buyer has sold and wants our place asap. Should have sold before filling up isnt hindsight a wonderful thing ,!!! At the moment bungalows are a bit thin on the ground near us, , but with the money in the bank we will beain a good buying position .

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2013-10-24 9:25 PM

Why don't people welcome rising fuel costs like they welcome rising housing costs ;-)

It could be because they don't burn their houses and they are still there when they want to sell them! ;-)

(Captain Mainwaring Voice) You Stupid Boy!

If I sell my home I will have to buy another that costs just as much - and I will have to pay more in estate agent's commission and stamp duty (!)

Guest Peter James

It don't bother us 'cos we've got solar panels and several very good index linked pensions!!

The mistake I made was in the early days trusting the man from the Prudential to take care of my pension. It was several years before I had any idea how much they help themselves to in charges! Best retirement planning move I ever made was to stop paying into my Prudential Pension and buy shares directly myself. With nobody creaming off the profits they have done a lot better!

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-10-25 7:08 AM

Had Enough - 2013-10-24 9:25 PM

(Captain Mainwaring Voice) You Stupid Boy!

If I sell my home I will have to buy another that costs just as much - and I will have to pay more in estate agent's commission and stamp duty (!)

My voice - you stupid man! ;-)

I'll try to explain why rising house prices are good for the likes of you and me and for many other people, but I am not suggesting that they're good for everyone. Now try to concentrate Peter! (lol)

Most people view their homes as an investment and, when the children have gone, many eventually downsize.

So let's take some figures - you have a house worth say £500K and around the corner is that nice £250K bungalow that one day you hope to retire to.

If you were to sell now and fork out £20K in costs you'd put £230K in the bank to fund an even happier retirement.

But let's fast forward ten years to when you do eventually retire. House prices have risen, let's say, 50% more than inflation.

You now sell for £750K, pay £30K in expenses and buy that same bungalow which has also gone up 50% to £375K.

You now put £345K in the bank to fund an even happier retirement!

Sinking in? ;-)

My figures may be exaggerated, they may not be, we've seen it happen before, but the principle is the same. Rising house prices are good for you and me! (lol)

Guest Had Enough
Peter James - 2013-10-25 7:22 AM

The mistake I made was in the early days trusting the man from the Prudential to take care of my pension. It was several years before I had any idea how much they help themselves to in charges! Best retirement planning move I ever made was to stop paying into my Prudential Pension and buy shares directly myself. With nobody creaming off the profits they have done a lot better!

Ah, insurance salesmen and financial advisors! Decent, honest and upright citizens to the man! All of whom only have the client's interests at heart! (lol) (lol) (And of course the interest on their big fat commissions and fees! ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-10-25 9:48 AM

Ah, insurance salesmen and financial advisors! Decent, honest and upright citizens to the man! All of whom only have the client's interests at heart! (lol) (lol) (And of course the interest on their big fat commissions and fees! ;-)

No they are not all decent and honest - but as with all walks of life the majority are. It is so easy and so fashionable to attack commission earners but as long as it is as strictly regulated as we were there is no better way of rewarding results for those who make the effort to learn their craft. Especially when working in the same area for many years where many customers become friends.

Performance related pay is now the buzzword and if all the country were on something similar we would not be in the mess we are now and those too inept to do a good job would be 'reassigned' to something they could mange instead of being hidden away by a one size fits all.

My ex boss at the Pru used to say that it was amazing how well the company did bearing in mind we carried more passengers than British Rail. He had a point - and that also applies equally to all trades and professions.

So if is OK for you to buy cameras where the maker and distributor make a profit and then sell cameras at a profit how come it is wrong for all levels of the insurance industry to make a profit? Smells like the typical application of double standards from someone who wants to appear fashionable in disliking commission related pay? Hope you never buy another car or house just in case someone benefits from commission.

As with all investments it all depends on when you start investing, how long you invest for and when you stop to take the benefit and timing is crucial which is why it is important to start pension planning at a young age.

I paid into two Pru pensions and thanks to the super returns of the era and the open market options they are both now paying me a rate of guaranteed return far about any other safe investment and I am delighted with them both. Best and safest investment returns I have ever made, apart from property.

peter - 2013-10-24 11:29 PM

Extremely selfish attitude. But what else would you expect.

Nothing wrong with looking after one's own interests in life - if I don't who else will.

The same opportunities for forward planning exist for everyone and if anyone elects not to take them it's no good whinging later - unless whinging makes you feel better - which it must do for you as you do it so much.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2013-10-25 1:25 AM

pelmetman - 2013-10-24 10:38 PM

When we buy our next house I'm going to make sure we can operate off grid as much as possible B-) B-)

Dave, I thought you were selling your house to go full timing, changed your mind have you?

Not at all Malc...........and fingers crossed we have a buyerB-)

We plan on buying a buy to let, to give us a bit of income and maintain our foot on the property ladder ;-).............

We did think about letting here, but its to nice a house to risk it being trashed, so would rather buy somewhere with no emotional attachment :-| ............ and hopefully a sitting tenant :D.....

Commission is now banned anyway - it stopped in January this year when RDR came in.

But commission was not always a bad thing. For individuals it could prove to be the better option.

Whereas for a firm - a fee is the best option. A fee for financial advice is tax deductible for a firm but not for an individual.

So for an individual in the case of pensions advice, charging them a fee of say £100 means they have to earn money, pay the tax on it then pay the fee. As VAT is applicable then the cost to them out of their taxed income would be £120.00

Whereas in the bad old days of commission - we had the option to offer them the commission route whereby we collected our £100 fee from the Provider of the Plan as a commission.

There is no VAT on commission (one of the reasons why the powers that be wanted the rules to be changed via the RDR - and as touched on in my HMRC "p*ssed" thread) and so for a 40% tax payer, whose net contribution to a pension would be just £60 to get £100 gross invested, this £100 can be paid out as the advisers "fee".

So for individuals - the choice was pretty clear when it came to pensions - especially those where higher rates of tax where paid,

If you wanted to pay via a fee then for each £100 of fee cost - the bill would be £120 inclusive of VAT and had to be found out of taxed income.

If you wanted to pay that same £100 fee cost via a commission and you could get 40% tax relief on contributions into the plan then the cost was £60.

We didn't give a stuff which way it was paid - we still got the £100 via either option.

We simply gave the client the option.

And now, the Providers have circumvented HMRC's plan to charge income tax on charge rebates we as advisers negotiated for our clients, and so HMRC has said it will look to charge VAT on internal charges within a Wrap or a Platform!

Beware the tax man commeth!

:-S

Guest Had Enough
Tracker - 2013-10-25 10:17 AM

Had Enough - 2013-10-25 9:48 AM

No they are not all decent and honest - but as with all walks of life the majority are. It is so easy and so fashionable to attack commission earners but as long as it is as strictly regulated as we were there is no better way of rewarding results for those who make the effort to learn their craft. Especially when working in the same area for many years where many customers become friends.

Performance related pay is now the buzzword and if all the country were on something similar we would not be in the mess we are now and those too inept to do a good job would be 'reassigned' to something they could mange instead of being hidden away by a one size fits all.

My ex boss at the Pru used to say that it was amazing how well the company did bearing in mind we carried more passengers than British Rail. He had a point - and that also applies equally to all trades and professions.

So if is OK for you to buy cameras where the maker and distributor make a profit and then sell cameras at a profit how come it is wrong for all levels of the insurance industry to make a profit? Smells like the typical application of double standards from someone who wants to appear fashionable in disliking commission related pay? Hope you never buy another car or house just in case someone benefits from commission.

As with all investments it all depends on when you start investing, how long you invest for and when you stop to take the benefit and timing is crucial which is why it is important to start pension planning at a young age.

I paid into two Pru pensions and thanks to the super returns of the era and the open market options they are both now paying me a rate of guaranteed return far about any other safe investment and I am delighted with them both. Best and safest investment returns I have ever made, apart from property.

Richard,

I was having a bit of fun! I thought you might have twigged! ;-) My dad was a brave man. He was from a working class family and did what all such children did in my small town - got an apprenticeship at the local locomotive works.

With a family to support he took the courageous decision (at the age of forty) to leave and get a job with the Wesleyan and General Insurance Society. He started on the knocker collecting the pennies from ordinary folk and ended up as an area manager, which he was until he retired, with a decent Wesleyan pension!

There are very honest people in all trades and professions, I'm one and I'm sure you were.

pelmetman - 2013-10-25 10:31 AM

When we buy our next house I'm going to make sure we can operate off grid as much as possible B-) B-)

Dave, I thought you were selling your house to go full timing, changed your mind have you?

We plan on buying a buy to let, to give us a bit of income and maintain our foot on the property ladder ;-).............

We did think about letting here, but its to nice a house to risk it being trashed, so would rather buy somewhere with no emotional attachment :-| ............ and hopefully a sitting tenant :D.....

We did both - and yes to see the family home used by others can be upsetting. But you soon get over it when you see the income!

But do remember you will need to complete a tax return and the rules for Property Income and Self Assessment are a bit different. If you will split the income between you to benefit from your two personal allowances, this means that you will need to complete a Partnership Tax return SA800 which unless it has changed you cannot do online via Gateway and so either need to do a paper return and get it in by Oct 31st each year or pay for some software so you can do it on line.

You also need to submit the property sub. form and attach to the Partnership return.

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=OlbNpd5Xq58&formId=3112

I have just submitted our SA800 and SA801 by post (snail mail!!!! (lol) damn! I should have bought those shares (lol) (lol) (lol) ) and submitted our personal returns online - i.e. I just assumed that Gateway could still not support online SA800 submissions - but that may have changed or is about to change as they update the system.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2013-10-25 11:12 AM

We did both - and yes to see the family home used by others can be upsetting. But you soon get over it when you see the income!

But do remember you will need to complete a tax return and the rules for Property Income and Self Assessment are a bit different. If you will split the income between you to benefit from your two personal allowances, this means that you will need to complete a Partnership Tax return SA800 which unless it has changed you cannot do online via Gateway and so either need to do a paper return and get it in by Oct 31st each year or pay for some software so you can do it on line.

You also need to submit the property sub. form and attach to the Partnership return.

http://search2.hmrc.gov.uk/kb5/hmrc/forms/view.page?record=OlbNpd5Xq58&formId=3112

I have just submitted our SA800 and SA801 by post (snail mail!!!! (lol) damn! I should have bought those shares (lol) (lol) (lol) ) and submitted our personal returns online - i.e. I just assumed that Gateway could still not support online SA800 submissions - but that may have changed or is about to change as they update the system.

I'll probably still use our accountant Clive ;-).......

pelmetman - 2013-10-25 12:14 PM

CliveH - 2013-10-25 11:12 AM

I'll probably still use our accountant Clive ;-).......

Good man!! :-D

Had Enough - 2013-10-25 11:00 AM

There are very honest people in all trades and professions, I'm one and I'm sure you were.

Thank you Frank, and you may be surprised to hear that I don't doubt your integrity either.

My father followed a similar path to your own, albeit along a very different route and he too ended up with a terrific Unilever pension (coincidentally, very well managed by the Pru at that time!)

Like most people I tend to get a bit touchy when accused, directly or indirectly, of a lack of business or lifestyle integrity and I guess that will never change!

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2013-10-25 12:48 PM

ended up with a terrific Unilever pension

Good firm to work for I think. If you are ever near Port Sunlight its worth visiting the village and Art Gallery. William Hesketh Lever collected paintings of beautiful women. A shrewd business move because it gave him copyright so he could use them to advertise his soap. The inference being that if women use Lever's soap they will look like her (lol) The Lever business model of charging a premium price for a brand name seems to be still working 100 years later. I thought that during the recession more cash strapped customers would switch to cheaper brands, but it doesn't seem to be happening so far. I should have bought their shares. But Lever shares have always looked expensive to me, like their products.

Guest pelmetman
knight of the road - 2013-10-25 4:57 PM

Dave,

If you intend on sellng your house and buy another with intention of living off grid as much as possible how do you aim to achieve this? Just curious?

Depending on where we eventually settle, I'd like to install a rain water collection system for flushing the loo and use in the garden etc.............I'm also wondering about installing solar panels and a 12volt system for lights etc...........and of course multi fuel Rayburn type cooker ;-).............I will still be connected to the main services, but would like to be as independent from them as possible............as green taxes and profiteering by the power companies will never be stopped, and I don't expect anything more than lip service from the politicians *-).....

Archived