Whats Wrong With Rising Fuel Costs?

Guest Peter James

peter - 2013-10-24 11:29 PM

Tracker - 2013-10-24 9:26 PM

It don't bother us 'cos we've got solar panels and several very good index linked pensions!!

The results of years of planning for an early retirement - and it worked!!

Doncha just love it when things just work?

Extremely selfish attitude. But what else would you expect.

How do you work that one out. The guy made proper provision for his retirement by working hard and presumedly putting away money in his pension funds rather than spending it. We did the same although in my case I retried late rather than early.

Colin Leake - 2013-10-25 7:51 PM

peter - 2013-10-24 11:29 PM

Tracker - 2013-10-24 9:26 PM

It don't bother us 'cos we've got solar panels and several very good index linked pensions!!

The results of years of planning for an early retirement - and it worked!!

Doncha just love it when things just work?

Extremely selfish attitude. But what else would you expect.

How do you work that one out. The guy made proper provision for his retirement by working hard and presumably putting away money in his pension funds rather than spending it. We did the same although in my case I retried late rather than early.

Ignore it Colin - it's just Peter doing what Peter likes doing - being nasty!

Guest Peter James
Had Enough - 2013-10-25 9:45 AM

Peter James - 2013-10-25 7:08 AM

Had Enough - 2013-10-24 9:25 PM

Peter James - 2013-10-24 9:22 PM

Why don't people welcome rising fuel costs like they welcome rising housing costs ;-)

It could be because they don't burn their houses and they are still there when they want to sell them! ;-)

Do try to keep up dear boy! ;-)

(Captain Mainwaring Voice) You Stupid Boy!

If I sell my home I will have to buy another that costs just as much - and I will have to pay more in estate agent's commission and stamp duty (!)

My voice - you stupid man! ;-)

I'll try to explain why rising house prices are good for the likes of you and me and for many other people, but I am not suggesting that they're good for everyone. Now try to concentrate Peter! (lol)

Most people view their homes as an investment and, when the children have gone, many eventually downsize.

So let's take some figures - you have a house worth say £500K and around the corner is that nice £250K bungalow that one day you hope to retire to.

If you were to sell now and fork out £20K in costs you'd put £230K in the bank to fund an even happier retirement.

But let's fast forward ten years to when you do eventually retire. House prices have risen, let's say, 50% more than inflation.

You now sell for £750K, pay £30K in expenses and buy that same bungalow which has also gone up 50% to £375K.

You now put £345K in the bank to fund an even happier retirement!

Sinking in? ;-)

My figures may be exaggerated, they may not be, we've seen it happen before, but the principle is the same. Rising house prices are good for you and me! (lol)

But I don't need a £125k unearned windfall. I would rather see affordable housing for the homeless, and the benefits to the economy that would bring. Germany didn't get to be the powerhouse of Europe by pumping up its house prices!

Peter James - 2013-10-26 9:55 AM

So let's take some figures - you have a house worth say £500K and around the corner is that nice £250K bungalow that one day you hope to retire to.

If you were to sell now and fork out £20K in costs you'd put £230K in the bank to fund an even happier retirement.

Exactly what we did when the mortgage ended in 1998 - been retired or semi retired ever since and absolutely no regrets.

The capital and interest more than funded the years (including pension contributions!) until the pensions began paying out!

I commend the principle to the house as a sound way of doing your bit to ease unemployment - retire early and give someone younger the chance to get on in life!

Yes indeed Peter (James) - that is what the economy needs more than another housing bubble.

What would help as well is a re-think on Stamp Duty so that rather than the higher rates rolling back to zero they phase in.

The current system where a house sub £250K pays 1% but £1 over that pays 3% means that houses sub £250 are price inflated.

So youngsters end up paying more for something that should really be a lot cheaper.

It also means the over £250K market is slower than it could be - which creates an artificial check in the market.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2013-10-26 10:16 AM

Exactly what we did when the mortgage ended in 1998 - been retired or semi retired ever since and absolutely no regrets.

The capital and interest more than funded the years (including pension contributions!) until the pensions began paying out!

I commend the principle to the house as a sound way of doing your bit to ease unemployment - retire early and give someone younger the chance to get on in life!

You are quoting me as posting what 'Had Enough' posted

How is pumping up housing costs beyond their reach giving 'someone younger the chance to get on in life' *-)

Peter James - 2013-10-26 10:33 AM

You are quoting me as posting what 'Had Enough' posted

How is pumping up housing costs beyond their reach giving 'someone younger the chance to get on in life' *-)

Sorry about that - error in editing!

I have no control over house prices so don't blame me for taking advantage of them over the last 40 years.

Giving up a job you no longer need generally, but not always, creates a vacancy for someone else - I thought that was pretty obvious - and with a job getting a mortgage is less of a problem!

Like almost everyone else it was a real struggle for us in the early years but as it got easier unlike many of my era, instead of spending all the extra income we saved and invested some of it to secure our future.

The numbers might be bigger but so are salaries and the principles remain the same.

Reasonable inflation does not harm those who are prepared to work for and secure their own futures, indeed the raging inflation of the 70's was the best thing that happened for us money wise - rising house prices - rising salaries - fixed mortgage - win win for those already on the ladder - and an incentive to get on for those who were not.

pelmetman - 2013-10-25 6:34 PM

Depending on where we eventually settle, I'd like to install a rain water collection system for flushing the loo and use in the garden etc.............I'm also wondering..............

I'd concentrate on getting the max insulation (and least leakage into the property); inside or out, and reduce your energy needs, no point spending money on a cheap flush if your home leaks heat like a sieve, just my opinion of course,

regards,

alan b

Will85 - 2013-10-25 12:25 PM

I hear there's a move afoot to tax solar panels to stop people profiteering

They should certainly tax the feed in tariff as unearned income. Which of course it most certainly is. >:-)

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2013-10-26 12:14 PM

pelmetman - 2013-10-25 6:34 PM

Depending on where we eventually settle, I'd like to install a rain water collection system for flushing the loo and use in the garden etc.............I'm also wondering..............

I'd concentrate on getting the max insulation (and least leakage into the property); inside or out, and reduce your energy needs, no point spending money on a cheap flush if your home leaks heat like a sieve, just my opinion of course,

regards,

alan b

Naturally that goes without saying Alan ;-)............As we sit in our sun lounge with the log burner going............................ doing our bit for global warming :D

Tracker - 2013-10-26 10:16 AM

You're all heart Richard. I'm so impressed. Especially after your earlier claim of not caring less about fuel costs rising so much that many poor people cannot afford to heat their home and / or feed their family.

Rising house prices suck in vast quantities of cash from the economy. It makes some asset rich and cash poor. So we borrow more in the vain hope of being cash rich again in the short term and ignore the long term damage unaffordable debt causes. When the bubble bursts, we have an asset that is difficult to sell and lots of debt which we can't service.

Pity those who can't get on the housing market and those who fall off in the debt waste skip.

I bought my first house when I was 25 and it cost me three and a half times my annual salary. If my 24 year old son bought a house on the same ratio, it would give him a house worth £100,000. A similar house to my first one in my home town would cost £140,000 which prices him out of the market. He's not bothered because he says he prefers to spend money on enjoying life than acquiring assets. He seems happier at his age than I was.

Archived