Online Scam - SELLERS BEWARE

wetfoot001

We are in the process of selling our Sussex motorhome on various internet websites.

I received an enquiry by SMS text from 'BulksmsCoUk' who appear to be a a legitimate bulk texting organisation. Initially the 'customer' seemed reluctant to reveal name and address but after exchanging a few emails he claimed to be a Berton Scott who lived in Wells, Somerset. He was working offshore on a rig and couldn't view the van in person, but would pay the full asking price via Paypal (suggested I set up an account with Paypal.com.au) and send a 'courier' to collect it.

Suspicions were aroused from the outset, and increased when the usual questions and bartering you'd expect in such a transaction failed to arise. It was too simple.

The situation became laughable when the courier's head office turned out to be in China, and would require full payment of the collection/delivery fee up front. The next step was predictable; he'd left his credit card at home and would add £850 to the purchase price to cover delivery fee and transaction costs for courier payment via Western Union. Paypal.au were instructed by Berton to release the purchase money to me after I'd paid £750 to the courier in Beijing. (My legitimate Paypal A/C saw none of this money)

Readers may recognize this common scam, adapted for motorhomers. I haven't lost any money here, but the potential is there for someone who has the raised expectation of selling their motorhome. If in any doubt about the source of an email, try 'replying' and hover your mouse over the suspect sender's address, odds are it has nothing to do with the address it pretends to be.

It kept us amused for a few hours, but sellers beware...

:-D

• 5 weeks later...
We've been coming across similar from those advertising motorhomes for sale. On contacting to view we have been told 'I'm in the army and the motorhme is with me in the Isle of Man. When I recieve payment, I'll deliver it to you at my cost' or 'My husband has just died and someone has tried to buy it with fake notes. I will list it on ebay on a 'buy it now' and then you can collect' ?? Some of the vans we've phoned about haven't even been owned by the person or they haven't put it up for sale. Luckily we managed to find what we wanted at a dealer not too far from us.

It must work sometimes, there's a lot if them about. Cars, motorbikes, all sorts being offered at tempting prices, but are in Spain, Germany or somewhere where you can't see them. Complex stories about having to dispose of them quickly. They exploit insecure payment systems that are supposed to hold your money until you have possession, but as you say the vehicles are not owned by the scammer at all. The details are often pinched from real sales adverts.

My guess is that when people are duped they are too embarrassed to publicise the fact.

If it's too good to be true...........

• 4 weeks later...

Archived