Benidorm is shutting 27% of hotels etc closing for winter

sshortcircuit

Guest Peter James
Over capacity perhaps. Bit like Blackpool where seafront hotels are advertising £15 a night, many of those behind the seafront, and a few of those on the seafront, have been closed down all summer.

Guest JudgeMental
No chance...its a 12 month of the year resort, always reasonably vibrant. One couple on here drove 200 clicks south for a few days and have returned yesterday, sites they visited were OK but towns dead...so they came back. Benidorm's micro climate helps (surrounded by mountains, hot air rises etc..etc...) while weather has been extraordinarily good since I got here, looks like its all about to change early week...and Mrs M arrives today.....

Report states that 41 hotels to close for period. I had spoken to a couple last week who were staying in the Deloix and it was closing November, opening for Christmas and then closing again. Went on line and tried to book in November but not available, so there appears not be some substance. Will just pay attention to see which closer.

Guest JudgeMental

the effects of the recession are evident all over and of course visitor numbers have fallen off as they have everywhere. the strip into town where some of the campsites are, and bars/eateries that cater to them, have changed a lot with many businesses either shut down or changed hands. But the mainly Spanish parts including the Old town still full of well to do Spanish from Madrid etc....

Just look at the sky line and the number of hotels, no wonder some have chosen to shut to be honest..Have you seen the twin tower, gold building that has gone bankrupt....tallest residential building in Europe apparently

I still say its more alive then most other resorts, and we will be in the Old town tonight for dinner :-D

rupert123 - 2013-10-26 11:05 AM

No loss their then. What a dump this place is, still some seem to like it, Blackpool with sun.

......but without Blackpool ;-)

If it weren't for family commitments we would be heading for some sun about now but will have to wait till the spring.

Haven't done Benidorm other than in my teens so would have given it a try.

No loss their then. What a dump this place is, still some seem to like it, Blackpool with sun.

I do not understand why you continue to post as anything you say is totally unsubstantiated and therefore ignored. Was it 10 years ago you shot past on the motorway?

Yes, he must be very......well Blissful ?

Very Damp in Wales at the moment.... my body is crying out for the SUN !

Not too bothered about the 'Attractions' being closed, as long as some sites are open,

so we can get water and dump waste. ? Ray

As we have avoided Benidorm like the plague for ages, and folks keep saying its better, we're decided to give it another try. So we're on a rally there for a week in Jan, I'll tell you what I think later. Fingers crossed.

Just got to drag ourselves away from the caribbean first, 34 deg here and 24 at night, you certainly wouldn't want to be in a tin box here thats for sure. It certainly seems odd thinking that in less than two months we will probably be battling through France in freezing temps!

Being retired is certainly tough.

I love Benidorm really, but its all about timing your arrival, out of season is obvious, no manic larger louts and a completely different visitor, award winning blue flag sea & beaches, and eating out is great as there is so much competition the prices are good.

I would not drive over a 1000 miles to get there though or pay the inflated campsite fees, not when you can get half board in a 3* hotel for nearly the same cost and flights as little as £70 return. (lol)

You do have to be wary though of the pesky pickpockets and thieves as anywhere, but all in all, warm sunny weather most days and plenty going on if wanted.

I look at Benidorm in three different parts. In the first instance there is the old town which is a typical working town where you will find many tapas bars etc and full of Spanish sitting out at cafes. There is then the new town or cluby land full of Brits and booze and I avoid. You will see the Brits at there best with huge obese belly hang out and covered in tattoos. Grannies running about in their what appears to be underwear trying to relive a well past youth. The campsites are all on the outskirts of the town and are no different to the many you will find in Spain with pools and resturants. I find a number are just too far out meaning a long dark walk at this time of the year. You could stay on site or use local pubs but then I find it would become a routine.

Benidorm has something for everybody, all year, and you can take it or leave but most of all sun.

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-26 11:48 AM

I do not understand why you continue to post as anything you say is totally unsubstantiated and therefore ignored. Was it 10 years ago you shot past on the motorway?

Why unsubstantiated? I have been their and have avoided the place ever since. If your only criteria is sun then it would suit you fine. Eddie seems to like sitting in the sun and doing not much else, that is fine to but not for me I am afraid. I cannot imaging anything more boring than going to a single camp site for a number of weeks and just sitting around looking at the tower blocks. I suppose places like Benidorm do appeal to some but I fail to understand why, just an opinion, but it would seem you can no longer have an opinion on here. Eddie is so bored he seems to spend most of his time on here.

starvin marvin - 2013-10-26 9:41 PM

As we have avoided Benidorm like the plague for ages, and folks keep saying its better, we're decided to give it another try. So we're on a rally there for a week in Jan, I'll tell you what I think later. Fingers crossed.

Just got to drag ourselves away from the caribbean first, 34 deg here and 24 at night, you certainly wouldn't want to be in a tin box here thats for sure. It certainly seems odd thinking that in less than two months we will probably be battling through France in freezing temps!

I hope you enjoy it but you really need to look at the people who like it and the type of holidays they take. Benidorm has got worse over the years with even more tower blocks, best stay where you are.

Obviously your are having difficulty joining letters up to read words, the file was to big and therefore unable to upload. My first attempt to upload but when I get home in December will try again to show you the dramatic mountains that are to the rear of Benidorm which you failed to notice.

Was going to add to this but really no point in carrying on such a close minded person-

Edit. Can you please give an indication of where your ideal location would be.

rupert123 - 2013-10-27 12:35 PM

starvin marvin - 2013-10-26 9:41 PM

I hope you enjoy it but you really need to look at the people who like it and the type of holidays they take. Benidorm has got worse over the years with even more tower blocks, best stay where you are.

I hpoe we enjoy it too, if not we'll be off like a shot to free camp in one of our favourite spots further south.

However I don't need much of an opportunity to stay where we are. We love Jamaica and its only a short hopon JetBlue from Orlando. We unfortunately need tobe back for Xmas and to get the van ready for the winter trip to fab Portugal, stopping at Benidorm on the way.

rupert123 - 2013-10-27 5:06 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-27 3:38 PM

As far from Benidorm as I can get. In the winter how about the Pyrenees or even better where we go the French Alps.

Well that good to know. Not my scene but I certainly will not denigrate those that choose to go there as many appear to enjoy and I can fully appreciate. As far as going to other resorts that do not meet your requirements then try and respect others choice and not come on with such a silly condescending attitude. Enjoy your time in the wilderness.

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2013-10-27 6:39 PM

rupert123 - 2013-10-27 5:06 PM

sshortcircuit - 2013-10-27 3:38 PM

As far from Benidorm as I can get. In the winter how about the Pyrenees or even better where we go the French Alps.

Well that good to know. Not my scene but I certainly will not denigrate those that choose to go there as many appear to enjoy and I can fully appreciate. As far as going to other resorts that do not meet your requirements then try and respect others choice and not come on with such a silly condescending attitude. Enjoy your time in the wilderness.

The man an imbecile....honestly save your breath, that he likes skiing and so self-centred that he can't understand others looking for winter sun mind boggling arrogant. Lives in a mind numbing, damp, wet welsh village so enjoys spreading the misery.....

I'll have a go at posting some pics later if I can get on laptop now that wife's here....lovely evening in old town last night, nice dinner in relaxed surroundings with not a uk yob in sight.

Bus home, what a different experience from UK. New air conditioned bus, soft music playing....attractive women driver who actually says hello when you board! Not locked into a stab proof booth.... a pleasant Spanish town and we love it.....weather and micro climate (because of the mountains that surround it ) obviously the main attraction. But prices are cheap, food wonderful quality, as it has what life needs to flourish an abundance of SUN! :-D

Archived