Wifi in the van

bolero boy

Following on from Mel B's informative post about a mifi device which utilises 3/4G signals to provide a hotspot in the van that can run multiple devices (all at a bargain price), I thought that it might be worth supplementing that useful stuff with a bit more info on how to get wifi in the van without resorting to phone signals and any associated costs.

Getting wifi into the van has been discussed many times before but I saw it all in action recently and was impressed.

Firstly, you need to be able to pick up signals - a phone or tablet only has a small range as anyone trying to pick up some camp wifi will agree. So, you need to use some sort of aerial. These can be directional, which can 'see' for up to 1.5km or an omnidirectional one which, due to its searching in all directions, has a slightly shorter range of about 1km.

I saw these at the NEC and the website is here http://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/iboost-wifi-system/

Being able to find a signal, tho, is just the start as you don't normally get owt for nowt!

Picking up the 'club' wifi at distance might be convenient but may be free or costly, depending where you are and who is the provider.

Similarly, trying to find a homeowners unsecured network is going to prove unlikely as the default may well be for it to be secured.

So, how can having a long range wifi antenna help get wifi into the van if most of the available networks are locked or expensive?

This is where FON comes in. I posted the following text in another thread where Internet access and smartphones were being discussed.

FON is an organisation that has partnered up with many telecoms providers, including BT and T-mobile (I think) to promote a sort of wifi sharing community.

A FON member makes a small portion of their home wifi available to other FON members by splitting off a small part of their home broadband signal.

Any member can then use these donated signals when they are away from home.

All BT broadband users have the option of being part of the FON community, the default option is IN unless you specifically opt out.

A BT user may be broadcasting a small FON signal but may not know it.

FON is international and BT wifi (or whatever it's current name is) is part of that total FON group.

If you were in France (say) you would not find a BTwifi hotspot but if you had found a FON hotspot (12 million apparently) you would have been able to log in with your BT home login.

In this country, as there are very many BT customers (and only 10% have opted out) there are loads of FON (BT wifi donated by home broadband users) spots that can be used.

For those who are not already with FON or a BT customer, you just by a FON router for £39 and plug it into the back of your home router. It splits the signal roughly 90% 10% for you and for outside use by other FON members. This one of cost then entitles you to use all the millions of hotspots (including BT home broadband routers) in the UK.

In other countries, other telecoms companies have partnered up in the FON group to provide similar service.

No subscription costs.

Just visited a couple of friend who have rented out their house and are currently in their van for a couple more weeks before departing across the Channel for 4 months or so.

They were using his MAC connected to a residential BT router a few hundred yards away as they have a FON unit at home and were using their login to get at the shared portion.

Incidentally, they were using a bespoke aerial set up. They don have a TV (watch the odd program via the net) so didn't need their Status directional aerial. This has been adapted by opening up the cover and removing the TV specific antenna and replacing this with a wifi type aerial, thus giving a directional wifi finder.

Well, That's the theory, I was wondering if we have any FON users here or BT customers who have piggy backed on another BT router via FON when on the road.

I suspect that, due to the initial outlay being considerably more that mifi type devices, this type of kit might not be everyone's cup of tea and might be more suited to someone who feels that they need a good reliable signal and don't want to be reliant on a phone signal, especially when abroad where roaming charges will influence usage patterns.

This type of set up is like the Gaslow idea, some will think the convenience outweighs the initial cost and would not be without it, while others will continue with a more piecemeal approach as their usage pattern could not justify the outlay.

As I said in Mel's thread, I was just offering up an alternative. There, I had mentioned the possibility of utilising the tethering facility of ones own devices, here it's about wifi signals brought into the van.

Both these ideas, along with easy set up devices like the mifi in Mel's thread, give users a choice in how they want to connect to the outside world.

Some will select one, others may have all three......or more....but hopefully, this information should assist in making these tricky decisions.

Chris, very interesting post - especially about adapting the TV aerial.

The problem I would have with this solution is that the sort of places where we tend camp is usually miles from a centre of habitation so picking up a shared BT/FON wifi router would be very unlikely.

many thanks, very interesting post. One to think about, we have bought cheap booster £35 when in France to get a signal in the van from campsite hotspot. Works well but did turn up to a campsite with no Wi-Fi but lots of signals around.

many thanks, very interesting post. One to think about, we have bought cheap booster £35 when in France to get a signal in the van from campsite hotspot. Works well but did turn up to a campsite with no Wi-Fi but lots of signals around.

I dumped my Vodafone dongle years ago and just rely on my directional antenna from www.motorhomewifi.com now as I spend most of my time in the UK or France where as said there are millions of hotspots. BT Openzone / Fon in the UK and SFR / Fon in France.

It can be a bit of a fiddle and I use INSSIDER (Free download) to tune in the antenna to the best signal.

Internet connection is a huge problem while camping abroad, and here too I guess. I have long wondered about FON, in fact have been thinking of changing my UK provider to BT , but have held back as I have not heard much about how well it works in practice. This posting is therefore very informative, thanks Boleroboy.

I do have a small aerial booster (5db), and object to paying the high fees on campsites, yet I do need regular internet access for business reasons. We spend a good few weeks down in SW France each year, in the countryside where the signal is non existent either 3g or Broadband, so it would be very useful if there is a FON signal there, if perhaps a long shot. The nearest decent 3g signal is about 5 miles away in Nogaro, so I sit there in the supermarket car park, sweltering in the 40 deg heat while I try to connect.

So, it could well be worth trying BT for FON, or perhaps buying this FON box, which I've not heard of b4.

Very interesting, thanks again.

Tea Cup - 2013-10-29 12:20 PM

Internet connection is a huge problem while camping abroad, and here too I guess. I have long wondered about FON, in fact have been thinking of changing my UK provider to BT , but have held back as I have not heard much about how well it works in practice. This posting is therefore very informative, thanks Boleroboy.

I do have a small aerial booster (5db), and object to paying the high fees on campsites, yet I do need regular internet access for business reasons. We spend a good few weeks down in SW France each year, in the countryside where the signal is non existent either 3g or Broadband, so it would be very useful if there is a FON signal there, if perhaps a long shot. The nearest decent 3g signal is about 5 miles away in Nogaro, so I sit there in the supermarket car park, sweltering in the 40 deg heat while I try to connect.

So, it could well be worth trying BT for FON, or perhaps buying this FON box, which I've not heard of b4.

Very interesting, thanks again.

As I run an IT business its crucial for me that I can get online. Last summer we were abroad six months and this year three.

Im not going to tell you its just a case of parking up the van, lobbing the antenna out of the window and you suddenly have superfast wifi. It isnt. What I often have to do is remote diagnostic and support and this often involves fixing stuff by taking control of a single or several computers back in the UK. I dont need a huge amount of bandwidth for this.

The first thing I do when on an Aire or wild spot is check the phone signal (its half the battle if I can talk to someone) then run around the van like an idiot pointing the antenna at likely wifi sources whilst watching the signal strength on INSSIDER. Its amazing how a few degrees or a bit of height will bring in a signal good enough to do what I have to do. In France I am looking for SFR FON and the UK BT Openzone. I changed to BT just for this reason.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do when you cant get online where you are parked and for us thats often up a bloody great mountain or in the middle of nowhere is to drive into any town or village where there is a concentration of houses or flats, pull up, lob the antenna out and you will almost certainly find a FON (In france or UK). My laptop is just set to connect automatically.

Its quite rewarding when you can sit on an Aire or by a lake on free wifi sorting someones problems and then send them a bill afterwards. Pays for our trips!

One thing to remember however, prior to spending too much on long range aerials is that the EU is to abolish data roaming charges from 2016. This should mean that it will be possible to use your data allowance from your home package across EU at no extra charge. For us this would give us unlimited data on our Xperia phone to either use freestanding or if allowed tetherd to our pads.

robertandjean - 2013-10-29 1:09 PM

One thing to remember however, prior to spending too much on long range aerials is that the EU is to abolish data roaming charges from 2016. This should mean that it will be possible to use your data allowance from your home package across EU at no extra charge. For us this would give us unlimited data on our Xperia phone to either use freestanding or if allowed tetherd to our pads.

Nobody will welcome this with open arms more than me but the likes of Vodafone are fighing it vigorously. I do wonder though if some providers will jump first and level the charges before the EU forces them to. Lets face it for us travellers if one provider offerered free data roaming then I for one would dump Voda and move in a shot. I suppose they will need to colaborate though.

I used a Toggle Sim this year. It meant free calls for anyone calling me from the UK (if they were on contract) and free to recieve and just 3p per min for me to call them. Also just 15p per MB which when used with Opera Mini browser on my phone 1MB would last 1-3 days for just emails and light surfing for the times I couldnt get online with the antenna. I think I saved about £30 a month over last years Vodafone bill.

R and J, good point about the legislative changes to roaming charges. I was aware of the date, I hope the phone companies are!

For some, only wifi will do (for whatever reason) and there will be many trips away before 2014, but worth bearing in mind. Of course, any kit purchased will still do the same job after that date and can be transferred to any van as in my Gaslow comment.

I would also say that, for those that need Internet connectivity, you can't have enough options (a post on satellite systems follows shortly..... ;-) .

One last point, just to remind anyone interested in making use of FON, you don't have to change your provider at home to BT. It just so happens that they are the default FON partner in the UK and anyone with their service will be part of FON by default (unless they opt out).

You can join FON for a one off cost of £39 for the router and surf FON as if you were a BT customer.

Keep the reaction coming, always interested in further thoughts and experiences.

bolero boy - 2013-10-29 1:53 PM

R and J, good point about the legislative changes to roaming charges. I was aware of the date, I hope the phone companies are!

For some, only wifi will do (for whatever reason) and there will be many trips away before 2014, but worth bearing in mind. Of course, any kit purchased will still do the same job after that date and can be transferred to any van as in my Gaslow comment.

I would also say that, for those that need Internet connectivity, you can't have enough options (a post on satellite systems follows shortly..... ;-) .

One last point, just to remind anyone interested in making use of FON, you don't have to change your provider at home to BT. It just so happens that they are the default FON partner in the UK and anyone with their service will be part of FON by default (unless they opt out).

You can join FON for a one off cost of £39 for the router and surf FON as if you were a BT customer.

Keep the reaction coming, always interested in further thoughts and experiences.

Chris thanks for this.....but....!

I am a bit of a numpty about WIFI but have a little knowledge which makes me dangerous! This FON thing sounds right up my street & I have seen it while on holiday in France Belgium & Holland. I have a rocket aerial which I use in the van which seems to work OK. At home I'm on cable with Virgin media & I don't want to change to BT. So how would I go about getting the FON Router? I have gone to the FON site but when I try to join it directs me to BT FON and tries to get me to join them.

Your assistance will be much appreciated

Until Feb this year I was able to use my Kindle for 3g access to my Hotmail account, which at least kept me in touch, but then Hotmail became Outlook and we lost the ability to access the email account.

Tried to get customers to use aol which was still working to no avail.

Things may change un 2016 but that won't help next year, so the FON thing sounds worthwhile, as someone said, you can't have too many options, especially for those out of the way places we like to go.

I to would be interested to hear more about the FON box.

Guest Had Enough
laimeduck - 2013-10-29 2:37 PM

I am a bit of a numpty about WIFI but have a little knowledge which makes me dangerous! This FON thing sounds right up my street & I have seen it while on holiday in France Belgium & Holland. I have a rocket aerial which I use in the van which seems to work OK. At home I'm on cable with Virgin media & I don't want to change to BT. So how would I go about getting the FON Router? I have gone to the FON site but when I try to join it directs me to BT FON and tries to get me to join them.

Best place to go is the Fon Shop. Buy the Fonera router for £34 and at the same time you'll be asked to register as a user.

https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/GB/ShopController;jsessionid=186C86BBF6BC8362F8F390514DEB47C0.BillingCluster

Until the router arrives and you set it up you're an 'Alien' which means that you'll get emails etc. but can't access Fon hotspots without paying.

But as soon as you install the router, which is very simple with a Virgin router, you will be fully registered and can take advantage of any hotspots throughout Europe.

Had Enough - 2013-10-29 3:20 PM

Best place to go is the Fon Shop. Buy the Fonera router for £34 and at the same time you'll be asked to register as a user.

https://shop.fon.com/FonShop/shop/GB/ShopController;jsessionid=186C86BBF6BC8362F8F390514DEB47C0.BillingCluster

Until the router arrives and you set it up you're an 'Alien' which means that you'll get emails etc. but can't access Fon hotspots without paying.

But as soon as you install the router, which is very simple with a Virgin router, you will be fully registered and can take advantage of any hotspots throughout Europe.

Frank, thanks for the additional info, I shall be going there myself!

Tea Cup - 2013-10-29 5:27 PM

Doh! Have just checked on the FON map, and there's nothing in my target area (in SW France) for about 10km. Plan B?

All may not be lost. If you know the area well is there a local bar, hotel or library within 1-2 km of where the van will be parked? Sometimes you can get free wifi from these places by going in and asking, maybe have a drink. Just make a note of the code then see if you can access it back at the van with the antenna plugged in. You will need a new antenna though a 5db one isnt going to do the business really.

I have managed 4-5 miles across water and 5000ft up in the Alps looking down on a town. Line of sight is crucial though for these types of distance

Very interesting post. We are with BT and registered Fon users. I have the previous model directional aerial from motorhomewifi which worked really well in France and Spain last year on the sites we used but when I tried to log on to Fon hotspots I couldn't seem to get access so will be telephoning them before we go this year to ask for advice.

The other thing I would like to know is whether there is a fairly cheap device to connect the (USB) lead from the aerial to give us wifi inside the van. Previously we have used a small laptop but now have an iPad which doesn't have the usual USB connector but would pick up an internal wifi signal.

David

Had Enough - 2013-10-29 3:20 PM

Had Enough .... Thank you for this - very useful information.

david lloyd - 2013-10-29 7:07 PM

Very interesting post. We are with BT and registered Fon users. I have the previous model directional aerial from motorhomewifi which worked really well in France and Spain last year on the sites we used but when I tried to log on to Fon hotspots I couldn't seem to get access so will be telephoning them before we go this year to ask for advice.

The other thing I would like to know is whether there is a fairly cheap device to connect the (USB) lead from the aerial to give us wifi inside the van. Previously we have used a small laptop but now have an iPad which doesn't have the usual USB connector but would pick up an internal wifi signal.

David

I did a quick Google on wireless router with external aerial and loads came up under £50. Not a networking expert but someone will post I'm sure.

I sort of understand this, but not that much.

However, we have Virgin cable, so I could buy one of the Fon things, plug it into my home router (seems to be USB ports in the back of it) get a password and am able to use wifi abroad for free?

Somehow this year tapped into someone's house unsecured signal and used that for a day, until they twigged then went onto a campsite wifi, which turned out to be rubbish! This was all without an aerial. :-D

Archived