Induction hobs - a way to use non-metallic pans!

Mel B

We're in the market for a new cooker and can't decide whether to change from gas to dual-fuel (gas hob and electric grill/ovens) or go full electric (halogen or induction) as we've always had gas, so I've recently bought a single induction hob with the intention of trying it out to see if we like it to help us decide and avoid making a possibly expensive mistake.

Anyway, whilst looking up info about induction I came across a 'plate' that you can use on an induction hob to allow you to use normal (ie non-metallic) pans on it, such as aluminium ones. Apparently they come in different sizes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811906145...84.m1423.l2649

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

A slight correction here Mel, aluminium is a metal (metallic).

The advantage of Aluminium or Alloy as its often referred to (in cooking) is its ability to heat all over quite quickly which includes the contents, because the heat that has travelled 'up the sides' of the container also heats the contents from the sides and not only from the base.

Stainless steel although shiny and easy cleaning does not heat its contents quickly, therefore a copper base has to be 'stuck' to it in order to speed up the transfer of heat.

Cast iron is similar to Aluminium in its ability to heat its contents 'all round' but of course its very heavy.

Plastics combined with various additives can withstand high temperatures but as yet I know of none that would survive on a domestic cooker be it electric or gas.

As the chef I find both gas and electric has its advantages. Wobbly pans will work on gas and the heat 'can be seen' to be heating. Electric is cleaner but there's a bit of guessing regarding 'the heat' I have no idea which type our electric is, it glows from under glass and works very well. To clean the glass use a builders gadget with a razor blade in it

PS http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-593Oc-Window-Scraper-590/dp/B0001IWDBK/ref=pd_cp_diy_3

MEL

My daughter in Law has an induction range cooker All electric , as they have no gas in the village. It is brilliant and fast. I would say as quick as a gas hob. I have always had electric, ceramic, and find I can't get on with gas, (even in the van, we have an electric plate. on our van cooker) Electric much cleaner, and no chance of burning the saucepan handles, if wood, like my daughter managed to do!

I guess the chef has to have the final say in the matter?

PJay

To clarify Will85 post....I think you have a halogen hob as it glows under the glass.

The advantage of induction is the actual hob doesn't get hot enough to burn things onto it so no scraper is needed.  We've had one for about 12 months and it is brilliant.  No heat/energy is wasted because it goes straight into the bottom of the pan from the 'magnets' underneath hence 'ferrous' pans are needed.  There's no 'heat' creeping up the side like with gas or 'lekky' rings.  The added safety feature is the surface only gets 'hot' if the pan is on for a long time.  Even then the glass surface doesn't get anywhere near as hot as other means of hob cooking.

Mel....in a nutshell they are brilliant.....instant control....no wasted head.....easy clean....and much safer than any other method because of the lack of 'residual' heat.

Correct Rog, then MEL's comment was about right when she suggested plastic pans for use on electric cookers (of the RIGHT TYPE).

The danger is of course that many users of plastic pans would make a mistake resulting in a fire or a soft molten mess that's unable to be removed.

(My problem is that I'm from an age where we cooked on sticks in the woods) But it tasted wonderful !

There was a thread about what food to eat in the van. I prepare soups , casseroles, curry's and puddings, in fact anything that will freeze and fit in small plastic containers. I make bread and slice it for freezing also but its most important to freeze it as soon as it cools and before the moisture evaporates.When thawed the moisture that was retained reacts similar to fresh bread, even after 2 weeks.

DRY BREAD IS NOT SUITABLE FOR FREEZING.

Guest pelmetman

Halogen hobs are quite easy to clean with a scrapper ;-)................

I had no problem removing the melted plastic of the deep fat fryer that I'd placed on there............ after I'd turned the hob on underneath by mistake :$

Funny you should say that Dave. My wife did the same last weekend with our one ring induction hob she uses to do the egg & bacon at weekends. She puts it on the hob so she can use the fan to get rid of the aroma's. This time she turned on the wrong appliance. :-( She realised just in time and only melted a very small bit of bottom.

Mel B - 2013-11-03 12:24 AM

We're in the market for a new cooker and can't decide whether to change from gas to dual-fuel (gas hob and electric grill/ovens) or go full electric (halogen or induction) as we've always had gas, so I've recently bought a single induction hob with the intention of trying it out to see if we like it to help us decide and avoid making a possibly expensive mistake.

Anyway, whilst looking up info about induction I came across a 'plate' that you can use on an induction hob to allow you to use normal (ie non-metallic) pans on it, such as aluminium ones. Apparently they come in different sizes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2811906145...84.m1423.l2649

I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else is interested.

Hi Mel, we have 2 induction hobs in the van and at first I bought a special plate so that I could use my ordinary pans, this was not successful, as it took a long time for it to heat up. I then found that if a magnet would stick to the bottom of any pans I already had then I could use those. I have since bought pans suitable for induction (half price in Portugal) and they are great. We have recently moved back to the UK and although there is a Smeg gas/electric cooker in the kitchen I would like to replace it with an induction cooker when we are able. Hope this helps.

Sylvia

Hi Mel, just an update. We have bitten the bullet today and bought a slot-in cooker with an induction hob. When we bought this house there was a Smeg cooker with gas hob and electric oven but it is taking about 40 mins for the oven to heat up so that no good, new cooker being delivered Friday.

Randonneur - 2013-11-14 4:50 PM

Hi Mel, just an update. We have bitten the bullet today and bought a slot-in cooker with an induction hob. When we bought this house there was a Smeg cooker with gas hob and electric oven but it is taking about 40 mins for the oven to heat up so that no good, new cooker being delivered Friday.

Ooooo....eeeerrrrrrr ... and here was me thinking I was the only one on a spending spree!!!! :D You'll have to let us know how you get on with it! :-D

Hi Mel, I have used the hob every day since it arrived and I must admit it is so easy. I stewed some apples yesterday and it boiled over but didn't stick like a ceramic hob would as there is only residual heat left when you take the pan off. Apparently this will keep some food warm for a bit but not cook. Hope it helps.

Archived