Another cut in sugar amounts

Will86

Manufacturers are being urged to reduce even more the sugar content in foods. Which means we will be paying more for less once again. Sugar is not a problem but by reducing the quantities manufacturers can make more profit.

Its like the organic fiasco all it means is that people pay more for less. The less meaning industrial fertilisers. What's wrong with the occasional caterpillar, slug or beetle, they're only present in proper food.

Its the same with fat on meat, remove the fat and we pay more for less.

How good it was in the past when we could eat whatever we liked. People died early or lived longer just the same as it is now. Don't be conned into believing the doom and gloom forecasters.

They're after your money ... nothing else !

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sure they want more profit - no doubt about it. But do remember that every manufacturer of anything these days is having to deal with fuel price rises that are unprecedented.

And there are two ways of making a profit - look at both the top and bottom line.

I would also point out that some are now looking at the role of Sugar in our obesity epidemic. It seems that sugar is very harmful

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/netherlands/10314705/Sugar-is-addictive-and-the-most-dangerous-drug-of-the-times.html

And perhaps of more concern - the sugar industry have been manipulating the "facts" to damn Fat where it is now thought that sugar is the far bigger culprit for health issues.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2012/10/sugar-industry-lies-campaign

So may be we should be grateful that sugar levels in things are declining.

It's all b's**t.............my grandfather ate what he liked from tripe to thick fat pork.......drank coffee by the gallon and smoked Players full strength (no filter), was a fairly 'social' drinker of Johnnie Walker and Bass best bitter and lived 'actively' to well into his 80's.  

Just ignore the bloody 'experts' and live as you wish.......life's too short to live life with one eye on what you can/can't eat, drink, smoke.

A healthy balanced diet is all you need. And now it seems that "fat" has been blamed for the obesity epidemic when excess sugar is the real culprit.

So if you eat a sensible amount of all foodstuffs - sugar for energy, fat for energy and vitamins like Vit D for bone strength and protein for body maintenance, then there should be no problems.

(Oh and red wine for the tannins and antioxidants :-D )

RogerC - 2013-11-05 1:29 AM

It's all b's**t.............my grandfather ate what he liked from tripe to thick fat pork.......drank coffee by the gallon and smoked Players full strength (no filter), was a fairly 'social' drinker of Johnnie Walker and Bass best bitter and lived 'actively' to well into his 80's.  

" LIVED ACTIVELY to well into his 80's " was probably the key to his good health.

Maybe if he had indulged in all that but sat in his chair all day in front of the telly all day he wouldn't have been so well ?

;-)

malc d - 2013-11-05 9:42 AM
RogerC - 2013-11-05 1:29 AMIt's all b's**t.............my grandfather ate what he liked from tripe to thick fat pork.......drank coffee by the gallon and smoked Players full strength (no filter), was a fairly 'social' drinker of Johnnie Walker and Bass best bitter and lived 'actively' to well into his 80's.  
" LIVED ACTIVELY to well into his 80's " was probably the key to his good health.Maybe if he had indulged in all that but sat in his chair all day in front of the telly all day he wouldn't have been so well ? ;-)

He was the skipper (captain) of a nice sleek shark fishing boat out of Looe in Cornwall most of his working life....up at all hours, very long and hard working days, lots of fresh sea air all taken with goodly amounts of the 'malt of the Islands' and always had a Players full strength on the go (as all old sea dogs seemed to do).....so no he certainly didn't go in for sitting on his backside.  If the weather was too bad to go to sea he would go out shooting......used to walk for bloody miles.........more exercise and fresh air...........and a Players on the go......LOL

They can do what they like we don't care because we make all our own jams, chutney and bread. We do take the precaution of reducing the sugar content in our marmalade by replacing 20% of the sugar with honey gives it a lovely taste. We make lemon marmalade using the tins of prepared fruit from Lakeland as I've already said with honey and we also grind up a nice fat ginger root and add that as well.

Guest Had Enough

No matter what our own experience tells us, no matter what the evidence, there's always someone who will tell you that it's all rubbish and that his great-uncle Septimus smoked 100 cigarettes a day, drank a bottle of whisky every evening and lived to be 98.

You might as well say that you've been driving for years after having ten pints and never had an accident. Maybe, but the chances of having an accident are ten times greater! There's always the odd exception to any rule.

My paternal grandfather died aged 68 from emphysema. He died an awful death and for the last two years of his life had to sleep sitting up in an armchair. He was a heavy smoker.

My maternal grandfather died, aged 70, of Parkinson's Disease. He shook himself to death and I can still remember him sitting there with his arms shaking uncontrollably.

Since then two friends have developed Parkinson's, one over twenty years ago. However, thanks to medical experts who are so often sneeringly derided on here, they both live relatively normal lives.

It's not all rubbish, it's a fact. If you smoke, drink heavily, are overweight and take little exercise, statistically you stand a far greater chance of dying much earlier than those who are sensible.

I don't give a toss if some idiot wants to smoke, booze and overeat, it's a free country. I do believe in educating them to the perils of their lifestyle but if they want to ignore the facts it's their funeral!

And as for those who say that they'd rather enjoy themselves than have all these 'restrictions' I have some news for them. Life is much more enjoyable if you're fit and active and can carry on doing all the things that you enjoy into your 70s and 80s.

Had Enough - 2013-11-06 11:00 AMNo matter what our own experience tells us, no matter what the evidence, there's always someone who will tell you that it's all rubbish and that his great-uncle Septimus smoked 100 cigarettes a day, drank a bottle of whisky every evening and lived to be 98.You might as well say that you've been driving for years after having ten pints and never had an accident. Maybe, but the chances of having an accident are ten times greater! There's always the odd exception to any rule.My paternal grandfather died aged 68 from emphysema. He died an awful death and for the last two years of his life had to sleep sitting up in an armchair. He was a heavy smoker.My maternal grandfather died, aged 70, of Parkinson's Disease. He shook himself to death and I can still remember him sitting there with his arms shaking uncontrollably.Since then two friends have developed Parkinson's, one over twenty years ago. However, thanks to medical experts who are so often sneeringly derided on here, they both live relatively normal lives.It's not all rubbish, it's a fact. If you smoke, drink heavily, are overweight and take little exercise, statistically you stand a far greater chance of dying much earlier than those who are sensible.I don't give a toss if some idiot wants to smoke, booze and overeat, it's a free country. I do believe in educating them to the perils of their lifestyle but if they want to ignore the facts it's their funeral!And as for those who say that they'd rather enjoy themselves than have all these 'restrictions' I have some news for them. Life is much more enjoyable if you're fit and active and can carry on doing all the things that you enjoy into your 70s and 80s.

......and there's always a bunch of 'experts' that come along every now and then contradicting other 'experts' findings..........remember the 'Chilean red wine recommendation'?   One group says it's good for your heart then along comes another saying it's bad for you. 

It's not about 'restrictions' ...it's about the 'fact' that there is so much contradictory information coming out, possibly/probably from differing groups of 'experts' whose 'findings' are somewhat coloured by whichever multi national/foundation is funding their research.  It stands to reason, given the modern age propensity for 'spin' that unless the findings are irrefutable the group concerned will possibly/probably couch the terms of their report/recommendation with a bias towards the interests of their 'sponsors'.  The 'evidence' as you call it from these 'lifestyle/dietary' experts a is, with current trends no more than guidance to be accepted or ignored depending on your degree of belief in 'experts' in my mind.  You can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as one group publishes it's 'evidence' another will be along some time afterwards to claim their contrary 'evidence' is the one to believe. 

Now no one is denigrating the advances in medical research as you seem to imply with your 'Parkinsons' etc comments..........it is the so called 'lifestyle' dietary experts that are, going on the number of contradictory advisories..........'quacks'.  Oh and your 'drinking after ten pints' comment is just plain stupid.  I would have expected a more 'considered' and appropriate comment based on your previous standard of comment.

Oh and something to ponder on..........with the increase in the clinically obese.......and more worryingly the morbidly obese, especially in the USA, could it be something to do with the 'safe' foods they eat?  American consumption of 'chemically enhanced beef'  is phenomenal yet in countries such as Argentina and other more affluent countries in South America where they consume as much if not more beef per head than the USA obesity is not a problem on the same scale.  So my point is that the 'experts' are allowing these chemicals to be used in the production of foodstuffs...... but 'are they really safe' or are they actually the cause, or a big contributor to the cause of human obesity through the transference of these chemicals from food stuffs (beef etc) to humans?

Had Enough - 2013-11-06 11:00 AM

No matter what our own experience tells us, no matter what the evidence, there's always someone who will tell you that it's all rubbish and that his great-uncle Septimus smoked 100 cigarettes a day, drank a bottle of whisky every evening and lived to be 98.

You might as well say that you've been driving for years after having ten pints and never had an accident. Maybe, but the chances of having an accident are ten times greater! There's always the odd exception to any rule.

My paternal grandfather died aged 68 from emphysema. He died an awful death and for the last two years of his life had to sleep sitting up in an armchair. He was a heavy smoker.

My maternal grandfather died, aged 70, of Parkinson's Disease. He shook himself to death and I can still remember him sitting there with his arms shaking uncontrollably.

Since then two friends have developed Parkinson's, one over twenty years ago. However, thanks to medical experts who are so often sneeringly derided on here, they both live relatively normal lives.

It's not all rubbish, it's a fact. If you smoke, drink heavily, are overweight and take little exercise, statistically you stand a far greater chance of dying much earlier than those who are sensible.

I don't give a toss if some idiot wants to smoke, booze and overeat, it's a free country. I do believe in educating them to the perils of their lifestyle but if they want to ignore the facts it's their funeral!

And as for those who say that they'd rather enjoy themselves than have all these 'restrictions' I have some news for them. Life is much more enjoyable if you're fit and active and can carry on doing all the things that you enjoy into your 70s and 80s.

Why worry about death? we are all doomed to die sooner or later, some tragically, some by accident some natural and some by illness, I have terminal cancer and am slipping away slowly, am I worried? not in the least, at least I know I am going and am well prepared, unlike an uncle of mine one day I was talking to him over the garden gate I then got a phone call early next morning saying he had died in the night of a massive heart attack, no time to say any goodbyes, gone, just like that, eat what you like and drink what you like in moderation.

The right attitude Malcom (Knight of Road) glad to see you are still posting , keep it up.

On the subject of this post, maybe the real culprit is not the food we eat, but the fact most of us spend to much time in front of the TV, or dare I say the computer!! That includes me

PJay

Guest Had Enough
RogerC - 2013-11-07 12:48 AM
Had Enough - 2013-11-06 11:00 AMNo matter what our own experience tells us, no matter what the evidence, there's always someone who will tell you that it's all rubbish and that his great-uncle Septimus smoked 100 cigarettes a day, drank a bottle of whisky every evening and lived to be 98.You might as well say that you've been driving for years after having ten pints and never had an accident. Maybe, but the chances of having an accident are ten times greater! There's always the odd exception to any rule.My paternal grandfather died aged 68 from emphysema. He died an awful death and for the last two years of his life had to sleep sitting up in an armchair. He was a heavy smoker.My maternal grandfather died, aged 70, of Parkinson's Disease. He shook himself to death and I can still remember him sitting there with his arms shaking uncontrollably.Since then two friends have developed Parkinson's, one over twenty years ago. However, thanks to medical experts who are so often sneeringly derided on here, they both live relatively normal lives.It's not all rubbish, it's a fact. If you smoke, drink heavily, are overweight and take little exercise, statistically you stand a far greater chance of dying much earlier than those who are sensible.I don't give a toss if some idiot wants to smoke, booze and overeat, it's a free country. I do believe in educating them to the perils of their lifestyle but if they want to ignore the facts it's their funeral!And as for those who say that they'd rather enjoy themselves than have all these 'restrictions' I have some news for them. Life is much more enjoyable if you're fit and active and can carry on doing all the things that you enjoy into your 70s and 80s.

......and there's always a bunch of 'experts' that come along every now and then contradicting other 'experts' findings..........remember the 'Chilean red wine recommendation'?   One group says it's good for your heart then along comes another saying it's bad for you. 

It's not about 'restrictions' ...it's about the 'fact' that there is so much contradictory information coming out, possibly/probably from differing groups of 'experts' whose 'findings' are somewhat coloured by whichever multi national/foundation is funding their research.  It stands to reason, given the modern age propensity for 'spin' that unless the findings are irrefutable the group concerned will possibly/probably couch the terms of their report/recommendation with a bias towards the interests of their 'sponsors'.  The 'evidence' as you call it from these 'lifestyle/dietary' experts a is, with current trends no more than guidance to be accepted or ignored depending on your degree of belief in 'experts' in my mind.  You can bet your bottom dollar that as soon as one group publishes it's 'evidence' another will be along some time afterwards to claim their contrary 'evidence' is the one to believe. 

Now no one is denigrating the advances in medical research as you seem to imply with your 'Parkinsons' etc comments..........it is the so called 'lifestyle' dietary experts that are, going on the number of contradictory advisories..........'quacks'.  Oh and your 'drinking after ten pints' comment is just plain stupid.  I would have expected a more 'considered' and appropriate comment based on your previous standard of comment.

Oh and something to ponder on..........with the increase in the clinically obese.......and more worryingly the morbidly obese, especially in the USA, could it be something to do with the 'safe' foods they eat?  American consumption of 'chemically enhanced beef'  is phenomenal yet in countries such as Argentina and other more affluent countries in South America where they consume as much if not more beef per head than the USA obesity is not a problem on the same scale.  So my point is that the 'experts' are allowing these chemicals to be used in the production of foodstuffs...... but 'are they really safe' or are they actually the cause, or a big contributor to the cause of human obesity through the transference of these chemicals from food stuffs (beef etc) to humans?

My comment about ten pints was to make a point, which is valid. Any stupidy is on the part of those who couldn't work that out.This is what you wrote:It's all b's**t.............my grandfather ate what he liked from tripe to thick fat pork.......drank coffee by the gallon and smoked Players full strength (no filter), was a fairly 'social' drinker of Johnnie Walker and Bass best bitter and lived 'actively' to well into his 80's. Just ignore the bloody 'experts' and live as you wish.......life's too short to live life with one eye on what you can/can't eat, drink, smoke.'You didn't say that some medical advice is 'Bullsh*t' you said that it's ALL bullsh*t.No it isn't and that is beyond stupid. Has it occurred to you that your grandfather may have had the lucky longevity gene that a small number of people have? I've just been researching some WW1 survivors for a talk I'm giving. You're probably familiar with Harry Patch, Henry Allingham and BIll Stone? Despite the privations of wars, smog, smoking etc. they lived from 109 to 112 years. Perhaps if your uncle hadn't smoked and eaten as he had he may have lived another twenty years?But what I find most worrying about your attitude is this constant conspiracy theory negativity. Most research is done in top university medical departments. Their successes have resulted in longer life for us all.In my newspaper this morning was a report from the Office of National Statistics. Over the next 25 years, the number of Britons over 80 will double, those over 90 will triple and centenarians will rise almost ninefold from 13,000 to 111,000. The main reason for this is the medical advances made by those experts whom you sneeringly denigrate by constantly putting the word in inverted commas.Because of experts and researchers we now know that smoking kills, we now know that drinking too much also kills and that eating too much and getting fat causes diabetes, of which there's been an explosion in recent years.For you to say: 'Just ignore the bloody 'experts' and live as you wish.......life's too short to live life with one eye on what you can/can't eat, drink, smoke.' is beyond stupid. Would you give this advice to your grandchildren? If you would then you're irresponsible and very silly.The experts don't always get it right. The human body isn't as simple and predictable as mechanics for instance and it can take decades for findings to be proven right or wrong. Medicine is an inexact science for many reasons.But they get it right most of the time and the result is that, very soon, almost everyone will be living as long as your grandfather and many for much longer and their active lives will also be increased dramatically.Personally, when I remember the fate of my older relatives who died much younger than I will and who died from illnesses that are no longer a death sentence, I thank God for the experts, and so should everyone.

Guest Had Enough
knight of the road - 2013-11-07 2:05 AM

Had Enough - 2013-11-06 11:00 AM

Why worry about death? we are all doomed to die sooner or later, some tragically, some by accident some natural and some by illness, I have terminal cancer and am slipping away slowly, am I worried? not in the least, at least I know I am going and am well prepared, unlike an uncle of mine one day I was talking to him over the garden gate I then got a phone call early next morning saying he had died in the night of a massive heart attack, no time to say any goodbyes, gone, just like that, eat what you like and drink what you like in moderation.

Your post puzzles me Malcolm. Yes, we all die but why should we hasten our deaths by stupid behaviour?

Imagine you're 40 years old with a young family and you're dying of lung cancer because no one knew that it was smoking 40 cigarettes a day that is the main cause of the disease. How would you feel then?

It's alright to wax lyrical about being phlegmatic about death when you're in your mid-seventies but let me ask you this - would you turn a blind eye to your grandchildren smoking or would you have a quiet word and explain to them that it may kill them much earlier than normal and even if it doesn't their lives may be blighted by bronchial disease?

I don't lie awake worrying about death but I have a super active life and if living sensibly and not smoking, drinking and eating to excess will prolong it by up to twenty years I'm going to drink moderately, eat moderately and get some exercise.

But the silly thing is, eating moderately doesn't mean having a diet that isn't enjoyable. Most fat people get fat by eating too much junk too often, not by eating good and very enjoyable food. I'm no food snob and I love a McDonald's. McD's food is very high quality and its French fries, burgers and fish sandwiches are very tasty. But I don't have one every day! Maybe once a month or when we stop near one in France and want a quick lunch.

Had Enough - 2013-11-07 11:45 AM
Your post puzzles me Malcolm. Yes, we all die but why should we hasten our deaths by stupid behaviour?Imagine you're 40 years old with a young family and you're dying of lung cancer because no one knew that it was smoking 40 cigarettes a day that is the main cause of the disease. How would you feel then?It's alright to wax lyrical about being phlegmatic about death when you're in your mid-seventies but let me ask you this - would you turn a blind eye to your grandchildren smoking or would you have a quiet word and explain to them that it may kill them much earlier than normal and even if it doesn't their lives may be blighted by bronchial disease?I don't lie awake worrying about death but I have a super active life and if living sensibly and not smoking, drinking and eating to excess will prolong it by up to twenty years I'm going to drink moderately, eat moderately and get some exercise.But the silly thing is, eating moderately doesn't mean having a diet that isn't enjoyable. Most fat people get fat by eating too much junk too often, not by eating good and very enjoyable food. I'm no food snob and I love a McDonald's. McD's food is very high quality and its French fries, burgers and fish sandwiches are very tasty. But I don't have one every day! Maybe once a month or when we stop near one in France and want a quick lunch.

Regarding the highlight in red above:

and there's the bottom line regarding the lack of research by yourself:

Extract from ABC News....... Quote from McD spokesman:

At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers.

McDonald’s has announced that it will be discontinuing the use of the controversial meat product known as boneless lean beef trimmings in its burgers.

The product was recently brought to the attention of the public by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who derisively referred to it as “pink slime” on an episode of 'Food Revolution' programme.

These trimmings, which consist of what’s left of the meat after all the choice cuts of beef are taken, are banned for human consumption in the U.K, where they are instead used for dog and chicken food. They are legal for consumption in the United States, however, where they are treated with ammonium hydroxide in order to kill off bacteria such as E. coli and make it safe for human consumption.

So considering what McD was doing up until this point it raises the question what are they doing now?

The Zombie Fast Food Hamburger

What happens to a McDonald's cheeseburger that's been sitting on your counter for a year? You'd be surprised.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sites/mensfitness.com/files/imagecache/node_page_image/blog_images/zombie-cheeseburger_main.jpg

Sure, you're "lovin' it," but it seems like maggots, flies and even mold disagree.

Melanie Hesketh, a nutritionist in Ontario, Canada, decided to leave a McDonald's cheeseburger on her counter to see what would happen. It was an experiment aimed at deterring her teenage children from wanting to chow down on unhealthy fast food—kind of like a head on a stake in meat, cheese and bun form.

Her surprising findings after a year? Absolutely nothing. The burger, which should have fallen victim to all sorts of decay and nastiness after all that time, was still perfectly intact. The bun had dried and the patty and cheese had shriveled, but it otherwise looked exactly the same as it did when she ordered in a year ago

Like I said or tried to explain before.............University research departments etc 'all' have funding to enable research........therefore there is the possibility of a 'conflict of interest' whereby certain 'findings' will be at odds with what the benefactor desires.

It's simple really.......If the Government can 'sex up' a dossier to make the case for war it is not beyond the realms of possibility that research/reports can/are/will be 'sexed up' in a similar manner to make whatever case the 'researchers/funding sources' desire.

To close.......you carry on with your lifestyle and I'll carry on with mine because I'm sure as hell I wouldn't like yours.  Scepticism is healthy for you unlike McDonalds............blind belief in the experts is dangerous.

Guest Had Enough
RogerC - 2013-11-07 2:06 PM
Had Enough - 2013-11-07 11:45 AM
Your post puzzles me Malcolm. Yes, we all die but why should we hasten our deaths by stupid behaviour?Imagine you're 40 years old with a young family and you're dying of lung cancer because no one knew that it was smoking 40 cigarettes a day that is the main cause of the disease. How would you feel then?It's alright to wax lyrical about being phlegmatic about death when you're in your mid-seventies but let me ask you this - would you turn a blind eye to your grandchildren smoking or would you have a quiet word and explain to them that it may kill them much earlier than normal and even if it doesn't their lives may be blighted by bronchial disease?I don't lie awake worrying about death but I have a super active life and if living sensibly and not smoking, drinking and eating to excess will prolong it by up to twenty years I'm going to drink moderately, eat moderately and get some exercise.But the silly thing is, eating moderately doesn't mean having a diet that isn't enjoyable. Most fat people get fat by eating too much junk too often, not by eating good and very enjoyable food. I'm no food snob and I love a McDonald's. McD's food is very high quality and its French fries, burgers and fish sandwiches are very tasty. But I don't have one every day! Maybe once a month or when we stop near one in France and want a quick lunch.

Regarding the highlight in red above:

and there's the bottom line regarding the lack of research by yourself:

Extract from ABC News....... Quote from McD spokesman:

At the beginning of 2011, we made a decision to discontinue the use of ammonia-treated beef in our hamburgers.

McDonald’s has announced that it will be discontinuing the use of the controversial meat product known as boneless lean beef trimmings in its burgers.

The product was recently brought to the attention of the public by celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, who derisively referred to it as “pink slime” on an episode of 'Food Revolution' programme.

These trimmings, which consist of what’s left of the meat after all the choice cuts of beef are taken, are banned for human consumption in the U.K, where they are instead used for dog and chicken food. They are legal for consumption in the United States, however, where they are treated with ammonium hydroxide in order to kill off bacteria such as E. coli and make it safe for human consumption.

So considering what McD was doing up until this point it raises the question what are they doing now?

The Zombie Fast Food Hamburger

What happens to a McDonald's cheeseburger that's been sitting on your counter for a year? You'd be surprised.

http://www.mensfitness.com/sites/mensfitness.com/files/imagecache/node_page_image/blog_images/zombie-cheeseburger_main.jpg

Sure, you're "lovin' it," but it seems like maggots, flies and even mold disagree.

Melanie Hesketh, a nutritionist in Ontario, Canada, decided to leave a McDonald's cheeseburger on her counter to see what would happen. It was an experiment aimed at deterring her teenage children from wanting to chow down on unhealthy fast food—kind of like a head on a stake in meat, cheese and bun form.

Her surprising findings after a year? Absolutely nothing. The burger, which should have fallen victim to all sorts of decay and nastiness after all that time, was still perfectly intact. The bun had dried and the patty and cheese had shriveled, but it otherwise looked exactly the same as it did when she ordered in a year ago

Like I said or tried to explain before.............University research departments etc 'all' have funding to enable research........therefore there is the possibility of a 'conflict of interest' whereby certain 'findings' will be at odds with what the benefactor desires.

It's simple really.......If the Government can 'sex up' a dossier to make the case for war it is not beyond the realms of possibility that research/reports can/are/will be 'sexed up' in a similar manner to make whatever case the 'researchers/funding sources' desire.

To close.......you carry on with your lifestyle and I'll carry on with mine because I'm sure as hell I wouldn't like yours.  Scepticism is healthy for you unlike McDonalds............blind belief in the experts is dangerous.

This is getting hilarious! (lol) (lol) You say: Just ignore the bloody 'experts' and live as you wish.......life's too short to live life with one eye on what you can/can't eat, drink, smoke.And now you're quoting the experts to tell me not to eat at McDonald's after stating "life's too short to live life with one eye on what you can/can't eat, drink, smoke.".You really couldn't make it up!Apart from which I eat McDonald's in Europe and not the UK and what happened in the US in 2011 doesn't really worry me!And there's a huge gulf between healthy scepticism and the conspiracy theory mindset that you display! Here's some typical university funding financials:http://www.manchester.ac.uk/research/about/funding/http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/researchsupport/findfunding/And to believe that respected academics whose careers depend on peer group acceptance and acknowledgement would distort findings to please some business is just fanciful. In this age of the Internet how long do you think it would take for some lowly lab assistant or junior researcher to blow the whistle?I love conspiracy theorists! The Secret Service murdered Kelly. 7/7 and 9/11 were government operations to support the stance on terrorism blah blah! (and I'm not saying you claimed this, I'm talking about conspiracy theorists in general most of whom are just idiots!)But the whole might and resources of the UK and the USA wasn't able to plant a few WMD in the deserts of Iraq to justify the decision to go to war! Laughable!This is part of Dr Hans Blix report post Iraq:'He stressed that Tony Blair never put any "pressure" on him over his search for weapons in Iraq and did not question that the prime minister and President Bush believed in "good faith" that Iraq was a serious threat."I certainly felt that he [Tony Blair] was absolutely sincere in his belief."What I question was the good judgement, particularly of President Bush but also in Tony Blair's judgement."Question their judgement? Perhaps and easy in retrospect, but they acted in good faith and a mini-Stalin who'd killed thousands, invaded Kuwait and gassed the Kurds was removed. Good for them say I!

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2013-11-07 3:36 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-07 3:25 PM

....but they acted in good faith and a mini-Stalin who'd killed thousands, invaded Kuwait and gassed the Kurds was removed. Good for them say I!

..AND...I bet he took three sugars in his tea!!... (lol)

I know! The idiot! That's what turned him into a hyper-active monster! If he'd had a sensible diet he'd have been one of the world's great humanitarians!

Guest Had Enough
nowtelse2do - 2013-11-07 3:59 PM

Went into Morrison's yesterday to do a bit of shopping, bought a pk of almond slices, now only 5 in the pk. Wonder who ate the other one, wasn't me :-(

Dave

One day decimalisation will come to Rossendale and all will be clear!

Guest pelmetman

Question their judgement? Perhaps and easy in retrospect, but they acted in good faith and a mini-Stalin who'd killed thousands, invaded Kuwait and gassed the Kurds was removed. Good for them say I!

I'm no expert ;-).................but as I recall Saddam was responsible for the deaths of 10,000 kurds............Blair & Bush a minimum of 100,000 Iraq's and turned the country into a basket case where it remains...........they were so pleased with themselves they carried onto Afghanistan *-)..........

Lord save us from do gooders....... ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-11-07 4:10 PM

Went into Morrison's yesterday to do a bit of shopping, bought a pk of almond slices, now only 5 in the pk. Wonder who ate the other one, wasn't me :-(

Dave

What's that....dose it hurt......will there be a mark up ?

Dave

Guest Had Enough
pelmetman - 2013-11-07 4:32 PM

Question their judgement? Perhaps and easy in retrospect, but they acted in good faith and a mini-Stalin who'd killed thousands, invaded Kuwait and gassed the Kurds was removed. Good for them say I!

I'm no expert ;-).................but as I recall Saddam was responsible for the deaths of 10,000 kurds............Blair & Bush a minimum of 100,000 Iraq's and turned the country into a basket case where it remains...........they were so pleased with themselves they carried onto Afghanistan *-)..........

Lord save us from do gooders....... ;-)

You're right, you're no expert. In one campaign alone his troops are estimated to have killed 192,000 Kurds and I won't mention what he did to his own people or the Marsh Arabs or the Iranians.

Read this: http://history1900s.about.com/od/saddamhussein/a/husseincrimes.htm

And again, you fail to understand the reason for being in Afghanistan. 9/11 and other plots were hatched by Al Qaeda operating from that country. Since Western forces were invited by the Afghan government not one atrocity has from originated there.

Since 9/11 over ten years ago, there has been no act of terror of a similar magnitude. This is a result of the superb work done by the security services and the disbanding of Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and other countries.

If the Afghan government turns out to be unable to control the country it could become a huge terrorist training camp and every time you get on a plane, train or a ferry, or visit any public place, you should be very fearful.

You may end up praying for some do-gooders.

You could also ask the people of Kosovo and Bosnia what they think about the 'do-gooders' from Britain and the US!

Guest Had Enough
nowtelse2do - 2013-11-07 4:46 PM

Had Enough - 2013-11-07 4:10 PM

Dave

What's that....dose it hurt......will there be a mark up ?

Dave

Will there be a mark up? If I have anything do do with it there will be!

Archived