That X2/50 engine/gearbox earth strap - again..

Steve928

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have been glued to the screen reading this thread, as many others have been I suspect. Have an A class on a ducato and suspect the wiring is all the same..........but........because of the type of body build, would the loom be in a different position compared to a low profile/ cab van and would this make a difference to the problem occurring. The earth strap will probably warrant a look as I presume this is in the same location on all chassis.

euroserv - 2014-09-24 4:43 PM

As for you Steve; your training has served you well and you too are becoming a master repairer.

Not quite, but it was certainly easier the second time around, knowing what to look for :-D

The part that scares me though is what would happen if you broke one the wires at the point of entry to one of the big ECU or fusebox multi-plugs. You have to be quite forceful at times and if a wire came away from the connector I've no idea what I'd do. Can these plugs be opened up and connections re-made?

• 1 year later...

As well as Motorhome repairs and servicing, we restore Citroen vans that were made from 1947 to 1981, so corrosion is not an unknown problem. One issue that crops up again and again is with a cable that has a crimped connector over the end of the cable. Corrosion takes place where the crimp bites down on the cable and the Copper cable corrodes.

We had a Fiat Motorhome in with an Earth cable issue on Wednesday and replaced the strap with a new one and fitted a second strap higher up the Engine out of the worst of the road Salt/Spray.

It struck me that the Fiat Earth cable problem may have related issues to our Citroen vans. So I have just cut open the crimp connector at one end of the old Fiat Earth strap I removed.

Where the Copper Braid is 'clamped' by the Steel connector, it is really badly corroded. A mixture of Green and white mess. The Steel crimp is also badly corroded on the inside.

If you look really carefully at the photo in the link below (sorry can't post a photo here so stuck it at the bottom of one of the Citroen pages), there is no way that the design of the cable is going to stop Water/Salt getting down the cable strands and deep into the joint where the connector is crimped on.

All of the Earth straps may fail at some point, even the replacements from Halfords and the like, as they seem to use the same construction, except the possibly solution in the link below? The tinned braid type might last longer if the connector is quality?

See bottom of this page for pictures and more text : http://www.citroenhyonline.co.uk/6volt-to-12volt-conversion.php

I think we will get some of this braid in to fit in the workshop see how it handles?

• 4 years later...
markgc65 - 2020-01-03 3:17 PM

hi Steve i know this is old but where about was this pic taken. as its hard to tell i have dead imobilised van at the moment had ecu checked earth strap replaced etc fuse box all looks like new om mine 2

If you're referring to the first picture that you encounter when scrolling up this thread then it was taken behind the N/S headlamp with headlamp removed. Good luck in tracing your problem.

Another effect of dirty contacts, or rubbing abraded wire, is the spurious changes in voltage and resistance.

These in turn can effect data signals carried on the wires, Drop a couple of zeros and ones, the ecu ends up with a different message to that intended. The ecu is usually intelligent to drop the sign, but can be fooled, if there is a constant faulty repetition of faulty information.

Rgds

• 6 months later...

Hi there. I’ve been reading this thread with great interest and was wondering if I could ask some advice please. I’m posting on behalf of my parents who have recently bought a Fiat Ducato motorhome. It’s their first venture into the world of motorhomes and they were having a great time until they’ve hit immobiliser issues. They drove for 4 hours on Saturday with no issues, arrived at a campsite just outside of Nailsea in the West Country, filled up the Fresh water tank and the engine wouldn’t start again. Just getting the immobiliser light and beep but no ticking over of the engine at all. After reading this thread I would love to try replacing the Earth cable and looking for corrosion on the cables but none of us are mechanically talented in any way and we don’t want to make it worse! I was wondering if anyone could recommend any garage or auto electrician in the are which might be able to help?

Thanks in advance

I assume they don't have a breakdown service?

If not, according to the Fiat Professional website (which is not always completely reliable :-)) the two nearest Fiat Professional workshops are:

Motus Commercials of Bristol. Days Rd, St Philips BS2 0QP Bristol: Tel: 08433939279, and

Huttons (Fiat Camper) Bridgewater Rd, Bleadon, BS24 0AW Weston Super Mare, Somerset: Tel:01934 812244.

Alternatively, the AA say: "You can join the AA now. Call 0800 88 77 66 and we’ll come and rescue you today. We'll provide instant cover for anyone broken down in the UK who's not already with us. Just so you know, you can’t buy cover online if you’ve already broken down – so please call instead and we'll help you."

We have a Fiat X250 based mhome that started to exhibit the locked immobiliser dashboard light and engine dead as a dodo. This was after nine years plus of no problems.

How true it was but I was told by my local garage that some makes of car start this behaviour when the battery is starting to go faulty.

My vehicle battery was over nine years old, maintained on a maintenance charger and never had a failure on starting, with nothing below a 12.4 volt on the habitation display.

I fitted a new battery , and no sign of the dash light appearing on startup.

Although there seems to be enough power in the battery to start the engine, I think the problem with a voltage drop as the ecu goes through its start up checks, the voltage drops and the ecu ,for some reason, comes up with this immobiliser signal.

If the battery has any age to it, or is low charged, maybe worth investing a new battery.. I got mine, web order from Tayna . Arrived in 24 hours, securely packed.

Rgds

Archived