Question Time

Guest peter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
teflon2 - 2013-11-07 7:25 PM

John 8-) *-) (lol) (no apologies for emoticons!)

Absolutely - let they there emoticons make their own apologies which are well overdue given the misery that either using them or not using them seems to cause some on here!

peter - 2013-11-06 6:28 PM

Will be in Boston this week and we are going to be there in the audience. Nigel Farage is on the show, so it should be good for a few fireworks. Especially as my wife cannot stand the man, because of his stance on Europe. (lol)

Don't know whether to wear the blue shirt though. It states smart casual on the ticket, so will probably be o/k. :->

Well that was a bit of a let down Peter - did they ban the blue shirt ?

( I was looking forward to seeing it ).

;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
Fickle lot that question time audience, have you ever noticed they burst into rapturous applause to contributions from the panel, despite them giving an absolutely different viewpoint from the previous panel member they've just applauded :-S

Tracker - 2013-11-06 6:40 PM

Don't bother watching it any more as it has degenerated into little more than a blatant party political point scoring broadcast by each participating party representative with all too often ineffectual 'independent' panel members, and the closer we get to an election the worse it will get.

Robin Day (rip) would cringe at the way it is handled these days!

You may not agree with Nigel Farage but at least his like is bringing the matter into open debate which has to be good for strengthening our case for becoming less of a giant contributor propping up the rest of the failed Euro countries with our taxes and for that alone we should be grateful and lend him our support, if not for actually leaving the EU - yet.

You're missing the point Tracker. It's all this bickering with politicians totally ignoring the questions trying to make their point whilst others constantly interrupt them with a chairman manfully doing his best to bring them back to the subject and keep control of the situation that make this so much fun. Shame they sometimes spoil it by putting someone with some common sense on. I used to like Yes Minister but this is better.

Enjoyment of the show can be much enhanced by shouting at the screen

Guest 1footinthegrave
I wait for the day people say what they really think, rather than what they think they should say, I think that day is a long way off.

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-08 4:42 PM

I wait for the day people say what they really think, rather than what they think they should say, I think that day is a long way off.

That's why it's always good to see Nigel Farage on the panel.

Even if you don't agree with him you will at least get a straight answer.

But I do think it's time to pension David Dimbleby off ( and give him his knighthood ) as he asks more questions than the audience.

( .. and I wouldn't agree with those who say that he controls the panel ).

:-|

Guest pelmetman

Where were you Peter?..............I stayed up specially to see your blue shirt :-S........

I noticed the BBC kept the UKIP supporters out ;-)

They didn't keep them out, there were some obvious ones there. They were outnumbered by the people of Boston area that had some common sense and didn't blame the foreigners for all the ills of the country.

Myself and my wife are also outsiders to this area and could make demands on the local services.

The problem is that governments have not allocated sufficient funds to increase the services required to accommodate the increase in the population. This includes people like us, who have moved here for the better lifestyle and friendliness of the local population.

The labour shadow attorney general showed Mr Lafarge up by quoting some of his policies, like stopping maternity benefit and sick pay. People only focus on his lunatic immigration views and probably don't even know what other loony ideas he has.

I didn't wear the blue shirt as I don't have it any more. But the clue is in my second paragraph, and if you watched it you will recognize who I am. :D

Guest pelmetman
peter - 2013-11-08 6:35 PM

They didn't keep them out, there were some obvious ones there. They were outnumbered by the people of Boston area that had some common sense and didn't blame the foreigners for all the ills of the country.

Myself and my wife are also outsiders to this area and could make demands on the local services.

The problem is that governments have not allocated sufficient funds to increase the services required to accommodate the increase in the population. This includes people like us, who have moved here for the better lifestyle and friendliness of the local population.

The labour shadow attorney general showed Mr Lafarge up by quoting some of his policies, like stopping maternity benefit and sick pay. People only focus on his lunatic immigration views and probably don't even know what other loony ideas he has.

I didn't wear the blue shirt as I don't have it any more. But the clue is in my second paragraph, and if you watched it you will recognize who I am. :D

Was that you who said they were from Northamptonshire? and said Boston was a lovely place to live :->

pelmetman - 2013-11-08 6:43 PM

Was that you who said they were from Northamptonshire? and said Boston was a lovely place to live :->

I thought he was the bloke in the rather fetching 'yellow' outfit.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2013-11-08 7:23 PM

I thought he was the bloke in the rather fetching 'yellow' outfit.

;-)

You don't mean he's a loony liberal Malc? :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Let's all bury our heads in the Liberal elite sand, and ignore the grid locked roads, over crowded schools with dozens of languages, hospitals and other essential services stretched to breaking point, not to mention people who utterly despite us, a desperate shortage of affordable homes, yes of course Farage is not to be taken seriously. I know I won't be around when my grandchildren grow up, but I do hope some of you are to explain what happened to the country millions fought and died for to preserve a way of life, a way of life that will be a distant memory, but what will you care, you've had your lives.

That was my dad. :D

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-08 7:55 PM

Let's all bury our heads in the Liberal elite sand, and ignore the grid locked roads, over crowded schools with dozens of languages, hospitals and other essential services stretched to breaking point, not to mention people who utterly despite us, a desperate shortage of affordable homes, yes of course Farage is not to be taken seriously. I know I won't be around when my grandchildren grow up, but I do hope some of you are to explain what happened to the country millions fought and died for to preserve a way of life, a way of life that will be a distant memory, but what will you care, you've had your lives.

What way of life are you trying to save. The previous generation could say the same, and we'd still be sending kids down the pits.

Life changes all the time, and if you don't adapt, then you are doomed. We need an awful lot of young people to be working to pay our pensions in the future. O/k I know a lot of youngsters can't get a job, but that is not the fault of immigrants. It's the fault of governments not providing resources for the creation of jobs after that evil woman Thatcher decimated british industry in the eighties and successive governments have done bugger all to reverse the decline. An awful lot of the jobs that immigrants do in our area would not even be considered by british youth. Who wants to be out at five in the morning in dead of winter bending over cutting cabbages. No takers I suspect. There have always been foreign workers over here doing these jobs. The only difference now is that they don't have to go back home after their contract is over.

Guest Peter James

Immigrants drive down wages and drive up rents, both of which suit the Government so they have long tackled illegal immigration in a half hearted manner.

Just enforcing the legal minimum wage would solve a lot of problems, because if they had to pay the minimum wage they could employ local British workers. But apparently there have only been 8 prosecutions in the 14 years since the legal minimum wage was introduced, and none at all in the last three years.

peter - 2013-11-08 8:19 PM
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-08 7:55 PMLet's all bury our heads in the Liberal elite sand, and ignore the grid locked roads, over crowded schools with dozens of languages, hospitals and other essential services stretched to breaking point, not to mention people who utterly despite us, a desperate shortage of affordable homes, yes of course Farage is not to be taken seriously. I know I won't be around when my grandchildren grow up, but I do hope some of you are to explain what happened to the country millions fought and died for to preserve a way of life, a way of life that will be a distant memory, but what will you care, you've had your lives.
What way of life are you trying to save. The previous generation could say the same, and we'd still be sending kids down the pits.Life changes all the time, and if you don't adapt, then you are doomed. We need an awful lot of young people to be working to pay our pensions in the future. O/k I know a lot of youngsters can't get a job, but that is not the fault of immigrants. It's the fault of governments not providing resources for the creation of jobs after that evil woman Thatcher decimated british industry in the eighties and successive governments have done bugger all to reverse the decline. An awful lot of the jobs that immigrants do in our area would not even be considered by british youth. Who wants to be out at five in the morning in dead of winter bending over cutting cabbages. No takers I suspect. There have always been foreign workers over here doing these jobs. The only difference now is that they don't have to go back home after their contract is over.

Been there ...done it got the t shirt...........cutting cabbages, picking sprouts, pulling sugar beet, carrot topping factory......both myself and my good lady did it to keep food on the table.  I was in the RAF at Marham at the time working shift so did this to supplement our income when I was a lowly airman and we were on a very low income.

I just count my blessings that neither of my 'offspring' have brought 'grand children' into the world as I honestly believe that in a generation or two after I pop my cloggs this country will suffer 'social meltdown'.

Guest pelmetman
RogerC - 2013-11-08 11:12 PM
peter - 2013-11-08 8:19 PM
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-08 7:55 PMLet's all bury our heads in the Liberal elite sand, and ignore the grid locked roads, over crowded schools with dozens of languages, hospitals and other essential services stretched to breaking point, not to mention people who utterly despite us, a desperate shortage of affordable homes, yes of course Farage is not to be taken seriously. I know I won't be around when my grandchildren grow up, but I do hope some of you are to explain what happened to the country millions fought and died for to preserve a way of life, a way of life that will be a distant memory, but what will you care, you've had your lives.
What way of life are you trying to save. The previous generation could say the same, and we'd still be sending kids down the pits.Life changes all the time, and if you don't adapt, then you are doomed. We need an awful lot of young people to be working to pay our pensions in the future. O/k I know a lot of youngsters can't get a job, but that is not the fault of immigrants. It's the fault of governments not providing resources for the creation of jobs after that evil woman Thatcher decimated british industry in the eighties and successive governments have done bugger all to reverse the decline. An awful lot of the jobs that immigrants do in our area would not even be considered by british youth. Who wants to be out at five in the morning in dead of winter bending over cutting cabbages. No takers I suspect. There have always been foreign workers over here doing these jobs. The only difference now is that they don't have to go back home after their contract is over.

Been there ...done it got the t shirt...........cutting cabbages, picking sprouts, pulling sugar beet, carrot topping factory......both myself and my good lady did it to keep food on the table.  I was in the RAF at Marham at the time working shift so did this to supplement our income when I was a lowly airman and we were on a very low income.

I just count my blessings that neither of my 'offspring' have brought 'grand children' into the world as I honestly believe that in a generation or two after I pop my cloggs this country will suffer 'social meltdown'.

It does appear that such manual labour is below the Youff of today *-)............who appear only capable of lifting a giro :-S.................

Guest 1footinthegrave
peter - 2013-11-09 6:43 PM

I think she meant it in the singular actually. :D

No, I've just asked for clarification, she said in the plural. ;-)

Archived