Baileys' latest offerings.

rolandrat

Had the opportunity to have a close look at the latest Bailey 2014 models. What a surprise and let down from a well known brand. Ok the cab and chassis couldn't be faulted but the bodywork left much to be desired. The basic interior designs and layouts were quite futuristic but lacked good carpentry. Cupboard door hinges and fastenings were just about acceptable but the overall finish of the timberwork was very shoddy. They had the latest Aldy heating systems but some of the grills were situated on the floor and could collect all sorts of debris over a period of time. The outer body trim had the usual sealant plastered all around which to me is a sign of poor joint design and covers up a multitude of sins. The company is a main line caravan manufacturer who has come into the motorhome market and seems to be on a learning curve just now, what might be acceptable to a caravanner certainly isn't acceptable to a motorhomer.

When your towing a caravan you can't hear all the interior fittings rattling away but in a motorhome all the badly fitting cupboard doors and toilet door are a nightmare. I got the impression that they are being built on a very fast production line.

By comparison Auto-Trail are very well built and are British brand leaders.

rolandrat - 2013-11-07 7:45 PM

Had the opportunity to have a close look at the latest Bailey 2014 models. What a surprise and let down from a well known brand. Ok the cab and chassis couldn't be faulted but the bodywork left much to be desired. The basic interior designs and layouts were quite futuristic but lacked good carpentry. Cupboard door hinges and fastenings were just about acceptable but the overall finish of the timberwork was very shoddy. They had the latest Aldy heating systems but some of the grills were situated on the floor and could collect all sorts of debris over a period of time. The outer body trim had the usual sealant plastered all around which to me is a sign of poor joint design and covers up a multitude of sins. The company is a main line caravan manufacturer who has come into the motorhome market and seems to be on a learning curve just now, what might be acceptable to a caravanner certainly isn't acceptable to a motorhomer.

When your towing a caravan you can't hear all the interior fittings rattling away but in a motorhome all the badly fitting cupboard doors and toilet door are a nightmare. I got the impression that they are being built on a very fast production line.

AND they still give a ten year 'water ingress' warranty, which, for some reason Bailey withdrew after just a year or so, ?? Perhaps their 'New' system of building isn't as 'watertight' as they make out . Ray

rolandrat - 2013-11-07 7:45 PM

Can't comment on Bailey but re your last point you might get an argument from Auto-Sleepers owners!

(Although personally I can't comment on that either!)

I think there will be a fair few disgruntled Autotrail owners on the forums who'd be surprised by the last para too!

We moved in March from an Autotrail, which we loved, to a Bailey 740. It's not perfect (especially the water-filling system!) but it's certainly as quiet on the road as the Autotrail was. Not seen the new models, so can't comment on them.

the last time I gave an Auto Sleeper the once over I was put off with the lack of rear end body support. How often do you see prospective buyers lying on their backs checking the underneath? A coach built body needs a good foundation and protection from the elements. Oversized service holes that are left unprotected are a source of water ingress and should be sealed.

There's a report on Bailey's Approach Autograph 625 in the November 2013 issue of MMM magazine.

Warranty details are 3 years for base-vehicle and conversion, with 6-years duration (extendable to 10 years) for bodyshell integrity.

In view of the specification (eg. an Al-Ko chassis, Alde heating system, full-size stove, microwave, cab with all the 'bells and whistles') the list price of £44,460 is very keen.

About the Auto-Trail comment, yes I agree, I for one am on my third Auto-Trail and I have had problems but it's how you go about getting them resolved that matters. They are still the best British manufactured motorhomes. I'm on my third now and when I part with it some one is going to get a perfect trouble free motor home.

The best motorhome I have owned was an A class Hymer but my wife hated the small kitchen layout so eventually it had to go, I regret parting with it to this day.

I sure do have commiserations for Roland. So many times we hear of problems that the lady objects to.

We have a sure fire answer here. I pay for the van and drive it and if the lady wishes to accompany me as a passenger only on my journeys she's welcome.

Oh by-the-by I also do all the cooking and organising, the lady (wife) is a passenger only and she never complains !

Will85 - 2013-11-10 2:30 PM

I sure do have commiserations for Roland. So many times we hear of problems that the lady objects to.

We have a sure fire answer here. I pay for the van and drive it and if the lady wishes to accompany me as a passenger only on my journeys she's welcome.

Oh by-the-by I also do all the cooking and organising, the lady (wife) is a passenger only and she never complains !

Like your style Will, women can't half be expensive.

Archived