Aires and stuff

rupert123

rupert123 - 2013-11-09 10:36 AM

Barryd999 - 2013-11-09 10:27 AM

I would say a reasonable summary Rupert having stayed on most of the Aires you mention.. At least you have had a go and have reported back your opinions.

Its all about research though. As you found for example the Aire at Sarlat is grim but the one at Vitrac and I am assuming this is the one under the shadow of Virtrac Monteforte Chateux just 3 miles down the road is smashing (although they had a load of plant vehicles stored on half of it in October). Same with Brantome. just 1KM out of town is a small aire with full facilities, loos and 16amp hookup for 3-4 euros in an honesty box and the one at Bordiels up the road is also much better than Brantome. You say you have a scooter like we do so there you go! Find the place you want to visit but choose the best Aire within scootable distance nearby.

I spend hours on www.campingcar-infos.com and have gradually built up a pretty good knowledge base of where all the great ones are.

I hate being close to other vans. I dont like big crowded aires but we always manage to find ones that are small, free and plenty of space even in July and August when we are usually away.

Three months this year and I think in three months away including July and August there were only 5 nights we were even in a row of vans on an aire. Half the nights were spent wilding and the rest on Aires where we were either alone or spread about.

Just to make you smile Rupert, total cost for parking and all services £46. :-D

Dont care about the money though its just freedom. The campingcar infos site also lists thousands of wild spots or unofficial Aires and these are what we look for first. Up in the mountains and Alps there are some real gems. To me thats what its all about.

I hope you will try them again and report back.

I agree about Wissant. Its dire and next to the road but again there are three great spots just within a few miles either side that are quiet and mainly empty.

Thanks for that Barry. I will certainly keep trying and hopefully will find more of the type you mention. The aire at Vitrac is the one you mention and the diggers etc still their but they are working on a big village renovation job. As for the scooter, this trip, as I said, was with my brother who does not have transport so we tended to stay nearer to villages than we normally would.

Ah yes. I missed that. When you go back on your own though you can have the pick of the best if you have a scooter. You have a massive advantage. You tend to find that the really crap aires (and there are many as you say) are often where the major attractions are. Sarlat for example. Its a lovely ride down the back road from Vitrac to Sarlat. I guess the town planners dont have to try too hard to attract motorhomes if its a popular place. Many will even charge as well for a crappy bit of land or car park.

The rule of thumb for us is to actually avoid any aires that are in attractive places or within walking distance of towns or village centres where people will want to visit.. I also try to aim for Aires that take 5-10 vans not those that take 40-100.

Just my take on it but then I think Im a bit of an oddball. I prefer solitude or just a few neighbours. Hard to find sometimes anywhere in Europe.

Motorhomers are like sheep though. They just follow each other.

We found a gem of a wild spot up in the mountains above Les Gets in the French alps. About 2 acres of space in a valley surrounded by mountains. Nothing but Marmots and Cows to share it with. Unfortunately the only road to it came down the mountainside half a mile away and the van could easily be seen.

Our van parked in this great spot must have been like a magnet to other motorhomes. within a few hours we had five neighbours. Heres the thing though. They could have gone anywhere. There was at least 2 acres of space. Where did they go? Right next to us and each other! *-)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2013-11-08 5:52 PM

Brantôme is a case in point. When we were there earlier this year, the aire was very muddy, surrounded by roadworks, noisy from the adjacent travelling fair, and also busy. The Municipal (in name only now, I think) cost (from memory) €14 for two incl electricity for a quiet and scenic riverside pitch with access to pool and excellent facilities (and very friendly owners). To me, a no-brainer. It was so pleasant we stopped for several days and walked much of the surrounding area (something we just wouldn't have done staying on the aire).

Have to agree about the Municipal at Brantome....(How'd you do that funny thing over the o Robin?).....

But another town with a reasonable campsite and a nice aire is Le Bugue ;-).........admittedly the towns not as picture book pretty as Brantome.......but very nice none the less B-)

Barryd999 - 2013-11-09 10:55 AM

Motorhomers are like sheep though. They just follow each other.

We found a gem of a wild spot up in the mountains above Les Gets in the French alps. About 2 acres of space in a valley surrounded by mountains. Nothing but Marmots and Cows to share it with. Unfortunately the only road to it came down the mountainside half a mile away and the van could easily be seen.

Our van parked in this great spot must have been like a magnet to other motorhomes. within a few hours we had five neighbours. Heres the thing though. They could have gone anywhere. There was at least 2 acres of space. Where did they go? Right next to us and each other! *-)

I don't think it has anything to do with Motorhomes it's just inbreed with some nationalities the French in particular where as us Brits like our space.

Go onto a deserted beach in France you will be the only ones there a French family will arrive and pitch themselves right next to you. Go into the gents 6 urinals stand at the furthest one first Frenchman to come in will go to the one next to you where a Brit will go to the one furthest away.

Guest 1footinthegrave
rupert123 - 2013-11-09 10:30 AM

Some really good replies here, thanks all. Some of the usual crass ones from folks like 1foot but he is entitled to his opinion even if it is wrong (lol) . This was never intended as a 'them verses us' thing but my own take on aires visited this trip and my general view of them. I thought the reviews may be useful especially to those who have never used aires. Aires users never say a bad word about any of them and seem prepared to accept anything, even including Wissant. OK some are prepared to stay anywhere but I am just not, bad sites, bad aires are all the same I stay clear if possible. The big difference is bad sites are now few and far between, simply because they would not survive, bad aires are at least 80% of them, at least in my experience. Personally I would welcome reviews on good aires and do take note of any mentioned but to accept all aires as good, no chance.

I thought my summing up was perfectly reasonable, I'll repeat it for you.................................. ;-)

some are extremely good, some are absolutely crap ;-)

A bit like most things, hotels, camp sites, cars, and God knows what.

As for your reviews being of help, that's a bit like the Tories reviewing UKIP. :D

pelmetman - 2013-11-09 11:01 AM

Have to agree about the Municipal at Brantome....(How'd you do that funny thing over the o Robin?).....

.....that's what we cognoscenti (...and the French) call a circumflex. ;-)

Many additional characters used in other languages can be input from a UK keyboard by means of a (rather inappropriately named) keyboard shortcut.

For instance, the use of the 'Alt' key and a 4 digit number (entered on the numeric keypad to the right of the keyboard, NOT the keyboard top line) will give you the desired result.

So, the ô character is entered by holding down the 'Alt' key and entering '0244'.

If you Google 'French Keyboard Shortcuts', you'll find sites that list the codes (similarly German, etc.)

Of course, you could simply Google the word you're looking for, and invariably you'll get a link from which you can just copy the text. ;-)

Despite what some say we enjoy these discussion type threads as add a bit of spice to the forum.

Now Eddie stop it you know you love France and the French really. Seriously agree that Le Crotoy is unsuitable after heavy rain and would never aim for there in November. Much better is aire at Le Treport, hard standing, hook-ups lit all night etc plus not far to walk to town with good restaurants etc. Not sure where you stopped coming up France but there are good Aires on all the north south routes, next time drop a PM and will suggest a few on your route.

Back to Wissant, then a few years since stopped there and at that time was all grass with no facilities at all, but this did not stop a British motorvanner from tipping his toilet into edge bottom. So yes all Aires can suffer from misuse. We also did not really rate this aire much, have never recommend it as there are much better ones in area, such as Gravelines and Le Portel. Also do not use aire at Calais any more as Jean finds it too noisy. However this aire will, according to French web sites soon close and be moved further on coast as all area is redeveloped, municipal camp site already closed down.

Guest 1footinthegrave
We always head for Tardinghen, the private aire, and use the top area, as there are three areas to choose from........perfect peace and quiet for 5 Euros, and just a spit from Calais..................the last time we were there in approx 2 acres of land with views of the channel we were the only ones, be warned though don't go if you enjoy the sound of traffic, or big muddy holes, and lots of dog crap, you'll be very disappointed. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
Barryd999 - 2013-11-09 10:55 AM

But thats nothing but human nature....security in numbers another factor. They are here so must be OK for us etc.... Like I said earlier I'm not so keen on empty aires, there is a quantifiable risk you know, and some like to limit that risk, however much you may deem it to be unlikely....even if it means enduring the company of a few strangers. Yes you are odd.....everyone on here is except for moi! :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
Don't worry Eddie, if ever you find yourself parked up next to me and some mad axeman attacks you I'll be over in a flash. ;-) well unless I'm having my tea.

Guest Had Enough

A find it odd when people say "I've paid for the facilities in my motorhome, so I'm going to use them."

If they were on a site were ehu was included, would they refuse to plug in because they've paid a lot of money for that extra leisure battery? I doubt it!

I use sites, aires and camp off-site but must say that in my experience the chances of getting a dreadful aire are much greater than getting a dreadful site. At least on a site you can guarantee that you won't have another 'van four feet on either side and you won't have noisy motorhomes coming and going in the middle of the night.

This year we passed through St. Jean de Luz, intending to stay a couple of nights. The aire was a nightmare! But it was full, proving to me that many people will endure anything to save a bit of money.

We found a very nice and reasonably priced site at Erromardie, a comfortable walk or bike ride from the town. It was opposite the beach and we enjoyed the area so much we stayed for a week.

The shower block was 25 metres away. It was immaculate with lots of hot water.

Now I had a choice - I could shower in the 'van, which meant that I would have to fill up the water tank more often. I didn't want to use a hose as that would have meant moving. We had the sunblind out and the front wheels on blocks, so I used a couple of watering cans to top up the tank.

Having showered in the 'van I would have to dry it out and then make at least two extra journeys with my watering cans to replenish the tank. If I wanted a proper shower there isn't enough hot water left for my wife to have hers, so she has to wait until it's hot again. Yes, I know I can skimp on water by wetting myself, turning off the shower and soaping up and turning it on again when I want to rinse off, but as I said, I like a proper shower.

My second choice was to walk 25 metres to the lovely warm, clean and spacious showers and luxuriate in a cascade of unending hot water. My fresh-water tank remained full.

I wear flip flops and have never caught anything and I'm not worried about using a plastic lavatory seat that's been used by someone else. When I have a party at home I don't ban my guests from using the loo just in case I catch a dreadful disease from it later in the evening.

Now forgive me, but you don't need a giant brain to work out the better and more efficient of the two options.

I do use my shower, especially on aires, but on aires I can fill up using my hosepipe as I'm normally staying just one night so moving the 'van is part of the equation.

There are good reasons for using one's own facilities. There are good reasons for using the site's facilities. Why do some people on here believe that only their method of motorhoming is the right one and that anyone daring to differ is some kind of an idiot?

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 11:53 AM

Don't worry Eddie, if ever you find yourself parked up next to me and some mad axeman attacks you I'll be over in a flash. ;-) well unless I'm having my tea.

Mike, you didn't say who you would help, Eddie or the axeman. :D

Guest 1footinthegrave
St. Jean de Luz is without doubt the very worst Aire I've ever encountered period. I think the main attraction there was the free electric for the French to enjoy their passion...................sitting watching the TV. ;-)

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-11-09 12:03 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 11:53 AM

Mike, you didn't say who you would help, Eddie or the axeman. :D

I'd probably have to spend about 15 minutes musing that one over. ;-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2013-11-09 11:16 AM

pelmetman - 2013-11-09 11:01 AM

.....that's what we cognoscenti (...and the French) call a circumflex. ;-)

I didn't know you were a member of the Italian Mafia Robin .................that circumflex sounds painful 8-)......

Many additional characters used in other languages can be input from a UK keyboard by means of a (rather inappropriately named) keyboard shortcut.

For instance, the use of the 'Alt' key and a 4 digit number (entered on the numeric keypad to the right of the keyboard, NOT the keyboard top line) will give you the desired result.

So, the ô character is entered by holding down the 'Alt' key and entering '0244'.

If you Google 'French Keyboard Shortcuts', you'll find sites that list the codes (similarly German, etc.)

Of course, you could simply Google the word you're looking for, and invariably you'll get a link from which you can just copy the text.

As you say Robin ;-).................not much of a shortcut :-S..............think I'll stick to typing Cockney :D

A pic of the aire at Le Bugue and for info, in the middle of town near a supermarket and restaurants ;-)

P1000447web.jpg.2b5786270d3848a29dc1adc908112393.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 12:06 PM

St. Jean de Luz is without doubt the very worst Aire I've ever encountered period. I think the main attraction there was the free electric for the French to enjoy their passion...................sitting watching the TV. ;-)

wrong again! it is most definitely playing dog s**te hop scotch! a national past time.....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-11-09 12:46 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 12:06 PM

wrong again! it is most definitely playing dog s**te hop scotch! a national past time.....

In all seriousness as you may know dogs in general are at the top of my most hated list, but I'm encouraged that the French are at long last getting up to speed on this issue, yes there's a long way to go but they have made a start, kudos for that eh. mind you the bags will probably end up in the undergrowth much like the ladies piss wipes tissues do ;-)

Obviously haven't stopped on your way through France for the last couples years. Yep it used to be like that dog s**t everywhere recently they appear to have cleaned up their act this year noticed a definite lack of it or they have culled the dogs. :D

Even have free poo bag dispensers in popular areas.

Guest 1footinthegrave
lennyhb - 2013-11-09 12:54 PM

Obviously haven't stopped on your way through France for the last couples years. Yep it used to be like that dog s**t everywhere recently they appear to have cleaned up their act this year noticed a definite lack of it or they have culled the dogs. :D

I've just had an orgasm at the thought. ;-)

Had Enough - 2013-11-09 11:55 AMThis year we passed through St. Jean de Luz, intending to stay a couple of nights. The aire was a nightmare! But it was full, proving to me that many people will endure anything to save a bit of money.

Blimey you couldnt have picked a worse example! :-D

However I think sometimes a lot of people will park on these aires, visit the place in question and clear off. For many who dont have secondary transport its a good option.

My experience of campsites in Europe is pretty limited but on the times I have stayed on them I have rarely found it a pleasurable experience but that might be because I am crap at choosing them. I can sniff out a perfect wild spot or Aire very well now because I know what to look for but site. Foreget em. Hopeless.

One thing that gets me about sites in Europe is that they are often dark and dingy places covered in trees. We spend half our lives hoping for a bit of sun and then head for the shade when it comes out. Bonkers.

Guest pelmetman
1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 12:55 PM

lennyhb - 2013-11-09 12:54 PM

I've just had an orgasm at the thought. ;-)

I wondered what you were up to in that bath 8-)

At last some consensus. We all seem to agree that St Jean de Luz is the worst aire in France, that there are very good Aires, good Aires and poor Aires just the quantity of each that is questionable and that some of us prefer using our own facilities whilst others like using ones provided on site. We do not say that our way, using mostly Aires, and not just for one night stops, is right for everyone just that for our motorhoming holidays it is right for us now. But there are a lot of good Aires out there and will report on them as and when.

An afterthought to an earlier post. French web sites report a new aire just opened near Calais in village of Mark, N50°57`20 E01°55`43, said to have all facilities and free. Have not been so can not comment but will try to look in on way home if Timex but if OK could be a useful stopover for ferry.

Guest 1footinthegrave
Anyone finding they need an Aire near St Jean de luz, pop back up the mountains to Ibardin, nice Aire with views, and some cheap booze in the shops on the Spanish side of the road. ;-) amongst other things we bought some lovely Port, 11 Euros for 5 litres, you can also buy Marijuana seeds as well. (!)

Guest 1footinthegrave

I have just took the time to re-read Henrys post, it was just an exercise in justifying his viewpoint, why the need to tell us all.

OK fine Henry, it's all crap, you were right all along, ...........................................there now that feels better does it not. ;-)

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-09 2:15 PM

I have just took the time to re-read Henrys post, it was just an exercise in justifying his viewpoint, why the need to tell us all.

OK fine Henry, it's all crap, you were right all along, ...........................................there now that feels better does it not. ;-)

Of course I was, never doubted it.

Archived