Possl Vans 2014

Guest JudgeMental

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
colin - 2013-11-15 9:42 AM

Which Globecar brochure are you referring to Derek? AFAIK the EKB has only ever been in the UK brochure, and hasn't even been on Globecar.de website.

I have a 2011 Globecar UK brochure that includes an entry for the Globestsar 599 EKB and the layout-drawing is of a vehicle with a UK-nearside sliding-door. It's also evident from the .mobi website link I gave that RHD Globestars with UK-nearside doors were being imported to this country in 2011 and, from on-line adverts, that the model was still available for the 2013 model-year.

I'm happy to accept that the Globestar only appeared in earlier UK brochures and not on the Globecar.de website, but there's no sign of it in the 2014 English-language brochure (downloadable from the German Globecar website)

http://www.globecar.de/download/kunde/2014/folder/Internet_Globecar_Kat_engl.pdf

nor on this UK website http://www.globecarmotorhomes.com/ that purports to carry details of 2014 models that will be offered in the UK.

http://www.globecarmotorhomes.com/the-range.html

For the 2014 model-year, Ford Transit-based Globecar motorhomes will no longer be produced and (to the best of my knowledge) neither will the Globecar 599 EKB.

I'm not infallible, so, If you know differently regarding the 599 EKB (or that it's possible to obtain any other Globecar model with a UK-nearside sliding-door), perhaps you could say, please, where you've obtained your information from?

I don't know if EKB is still being produced, but AFAIK it has only ever been in the printed UK brochure, and has not been in the english brochure on globecar.de.

p.s. I should say, I don't see it as being a big seller, so wouldn't be surprised if it was dropped, which the link to Globecar UK seems to confirm.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2013-11-14 6:10 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-14 5:52 PM

You'll be back in a coach-built before you know it, ask Henry :D

He's keeping very quiet about going to look at a Hymer Exsis (lol)

No way! to tall and narrow and light.... I nearly (well at least it felt like it!) got blown over in high winds coming back from Spain in my likle van!....

As CB go it is a good choice, but they dont even have a double floor any more do they? and no more expensive than the La Strada (which has a double floor) and a better build quality then Hymer.

a plot of land has been divulged to me for the ECO house self build idea, which I have always wanted to do.. ... so will chase that. Will go to Essen show in Feb and make a decision from there. But favorite is Possl 636 FR and busbiker rack, as layout appeals....

Guest JudgeMental
tazdog6007 - 2013-11-15 4:32 PM

anyone know where i can get that super bike carrier from.i would go to hollandfor one of those.makes my fiamma max 35kg (so one bike only) look pathetic! :'(

Have you a panel van? I thought it seemed expensive until I looked at it, its a real strong, well built piece of kit. Main dealer in Holland, but German dealer will fit or ship it. If you can fit a towbar it should not be beyond your capabilities with help..... it fits under rear step and replaces support (plastic step is cut out and replaced over it). It has 2 extensions that slide into chassis extensions (like a tow bar). Then there is another support bar on right side near hinge (where the weight is when open) that bolts to another chassis section further back... and you will need a 12v socket for lighting board.

where it swings in to close it, on left hand side, it has a circlip. I will drill a hole next to it to take a decent padlock..then I can chain the bikes to cross support bar...

PM me for dealers details..

JudgeMental - 2013-11-15 4:05 PM

lennyhb - 2013-11-14 6:10 PM

1footinthegrave - 2013-11-14 5:52 PM

You'll be back in a coach-built before you know it, ask Henry :D

He's keeping very quiet about going to look at a Hymer Exsis (lol)

No way! to tall and narrow and light.... I nearly (well at least it felt like it!) got blown over in high winds coming back from Spain in my likle van!....

As CB go it is a good choice, but they dont even have a double floor any more do they? and no more expensive than the La Strada (which has a double floor) and a better build quality then Hymer.....................

Height is 2770, and width 2120, so a bit wider and taller than a mid roof Ducato. Ours is not too bad in the wind. It gets buffeted, but not knocked off course too badly. Your van, having a short rear overhang, will have its centre of pressure further forward, so will be more prone to being blown off course. Our longer rear overhang places the centre of pressure further back, closer to the rear wheels, which seems to reduce the "wind steer" effect. Weight is just under 3.5 tonnes laden, so I'd guess light weight likely to be more of a contributory factor with yours.

Yes, they have a double floor, though the floor void mainly houses tanks, pipes, and heater tubes and is not accessible for additional storage. The whole of the underside of the coachbuilt part is a GRP moulding, so no exposed ply. Build quality looks better than I had expected. Even the out of sight bits are neatly installed, and services all clipped in place. But, it's definitely not a MPV substitute!

Guest JudgeMental

Sorry guys if I was in the market for a CB it would be something like a Carthago, as would not entertain an easily damaged aluminum walled camper, GRP or nothing I'm afraid, far better for the blood presure. Hymer have done a good job of building an exaggerated reputation and when you see the homegrown competition its no surprise!lol But in Germany they are considered average...

Carthago have a few panel vans themselves now, the "malibu" in 6m with transverse bed, and 636 with single beds..sticking with the well tried formats and dont seem particularly innovative, but have an odd slide away toilet

http://www.carthago-motorhomes.co.uk/CARTHAGO-MALIBU/11.htm#

but i doubt they are up to the build quality of La Strada. When most everyone uses cheap foil effect wood (photograph of wood :-S) they use light reflecting and damage resistant CPL, an interesting surface if you read up on it

Promobil article:

"The furniture is made of poplar plywood with scratch-resistant surface and CPL not only screwed, but also dovetailed. Almost everywhere there are solid machines edges that are newly installed even with PU glue. The cabinets have backs, which makes them more stable"

and this:

"The test car fired the 148 hp engine in combination with the automatic transmission. A comfortable drive unit, even if the Automatic Comfort swallows when accelerating a little bit of temperament of the agile engine. Especially when starting on steep grades, the possibility of manual intervention that prevents the automatic switch helpless between first and second gear switches back and forth is recommended"

as usual folks the devil is in the detail, you get what you pay for, try before you buy! :-D

JudgeMental - 2013-11-16 6:50 AM

"The test car fired the 148 hp engine in combination with the automatic transmission. A comfortable drive unit, even if the Automatic Comfort swallows when accelerating a little bit of temperament of the agile engine. Especially when starting on steep grades, the possibility of manual intervention that prevents the automatic switch helpless between first and second gear switches back and forth is recommended"

Haha, thanks to Brian's detailed post in his 'Comfortmatic' thread, nothing here has got lost in translation! :-)

Those pesky automatics, eh!

Brian Kirby - 2013-11-15 5:27 PM

...Your van, having a short rear overhang, will have its centre of pressure further forward, so will be more prone to being blown off course. Our longer rear overhang places the centre of pressure further back, closer to the rear wheels, which seems to reduce the "wind steer" effect. Weight is just under 3.5 tonnes laden, so I'd guess light weight likely to be more of a contributory factor with yours...

But your 6.75m long Exsis has a 3.65m wheelbase, whereas a 6.36m long Ducato panel-van has a 4.035m wheelbase. Wherever the centre of pressure is, if I had to make a crystal-ball guess at which would be least sensitive to wind, I definitely wouldn't pick the Exsis.

(Regarding Carthago coachbuilt motorhomes, although the roof is GRP, the sidewalls are aluminium-skinned.)

I've now concluded that, as a replacement for our present Hobby, a PVC would be unsuitable. Latest 'candidate' is now a Rapido 640

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/Reviews/Motorhomes/Rapido-640-motorhome-review/_ch1_rw1359_pg1

JudgeMental - 2013-11-16 6:50 AM

Sorry guys if I was in the market for a CB it would be something like a Carthago, as would not entertain an easily damaged aluminum walled camper, GRP or nothing I'm afraid, far better for the blood presure. Hymer have done a good job of building an exaggerated reputation and when you see the homegrown competition its no surprise!lol But in Germany they are considered average...

You don't listen Eddie I've told you before Carthago's have aluminium walls, the floor is GRP and the roof is capped in GRP just like Hymer (GRP roof cap is option on cheaper models std, on other Hymer's ).

We spend two days at Dusseldorf going back and forth between Hymer & Carthago. The Carthago is marginally better quality but nowhere near worth the price difference, list price it's only €5k different but you can't get anything like the same level as discount making real world price about €14k different.

Anyway the boss decided she couldn't live with the gloomy interior of the Carthago and thought the sloping dash a waste of space.

Agree with you about the perception of Hymer in the UK, Germany top end of mid range vans, Carthago appear to be coming down market to compete with them.

Guest JudgeMental

640 an odd layout.... Bed probably narrow as bathroom stuck next to it. Island or semi island in this case, tend to be narrow anyway.......different for difference sake? Don't get it to be honest :-S

Well Lenny I admit I did think they were GRP, but even if I was told previously, it's a case of, in one ear out the other, if I don't have a whole lot of interest in the subject. If I wanted a quality CB it would probably be a euramobil terrestra....... what I said still stands, would not touch a none GRP CB, you wait till you start collecting the annoying little dings and dents that draw the eye ;-)

JudgeMental - 2013-11-16 9:43 AM

640 an odd layout.... Bed probably narrow as bathroom stuck next to it. Island or semi island in this case, tend to be narrow anyway.......different for difference sake? Don't get it to be honest :-S

Quoted bed size for a Rapido 640 is 190cm x 131cm (6' 3" a 4' 3" approx.) which I know would be plenty large enough for us as our Hobby's bed is 5cm narrower. And, as a 640's bed is 'semi-island' not jammed between walls, my tall, lanky wife would be able to stick her elbows, knees and feet beyond the mattress should she so wish!

There are things about the 640's design that I'd prefer to be different. I'd rather the dining-table were not one-piece and I'd like a 'no passengers' option where the side-settees were dedicated solely to seating and weren't compromised by needing to be transformed into travel-seats or an 'emergency' bed. I'm also unsure whether the sliding panel and lift-up flap in the dressing-room area are worthwhile features.

Such reservations pale into insignificance, however, when I try to reconcile our Hobby's living-space (which suits us pretty well and explains why we've still got the vehicle after 8 years) and storage capability with what a PVC could offer. I'm not concerned with width-saving, and there's little length difference between a 6.48m Rapido 640 and a 6.36m Ducato XLWB PVC. Nor do I want to convert my motorhome into a removal van.

I may not buy a Rapido 640 but it's currently high on my window-shopping list and I can justify the price to myself. What I can say is that, after serious consideration, PVCs are now off the list.

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-16 2:29 PM

Quoted bed size for a Rapido 640 is 190cm x 131cm (6' 3" a 4' 3" approx.) which I know would be plenty large enough for us as our Hobby's bed is 5cm narrower. And, as a 640's bed is 'semi-island' not jammed between walls, my tall, lanky wife would be able to stick her elbows, knees and feet beyond the mattress should she so wish!

Derek, the Rapido website suggest slightly more width than your figures...

BED SIZES (mm)

Rear bed 1930 x 1350

Guest 1footinthegrave

Well Lenny I admit I did think they were GRP, but even if I was told previously, it's a case of, in one ear out the other, if I don't have a whole lot of interest in the subject. If I wanted a quality CB it would probably be a euramobil terrestra....... what I said still stands, would not touch a none GRP CB, you wait till you start collecting the annoying little dings and dents that draw the eye ;-)

I thought you use your van as a builders skip, why would you worry about the odd ding, and as for beds having once looked at your present van that you've raved about in the past, if that's the pinnacle of bed design scrambling about on your hands and knees, I'd buy a tent. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Oh! for that "ignore" button!lol

vegetables have more active brain cells then you...6 trips to the tip when clearing out attic & household junk when selling my house, and its a builders skip? what a numpty.... I have you know my vans immaculate and without a mark.....

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-11-16 4:13 PM

Oh! for that "ignore" button!lol

vegetables have more active brain cells then you...6 trips to the tip when clearing out attic & household junk when selling my house, and its a builders skip? what a numpty.... I have you know my vans immaculate and without a mark.....

Only repeating what you said a while back when denigrating people who did take a pride in their vehicles. ;-) mind you denigration is not like you at all.............. hows Tracker these days ;-)

As for an ignore button it's there if you look, it's the "reply" option you need to ignore, and you think I'm thick.

Guest JudgeMental
your a bare face liar pal, what are you doing on this thread anyway, but stirring trouble as per your usual tactics you absolute misery,,.. Did say I was going to ignore you, but you have an utterly nasty way about you that can not go unchallenged.

Heavy duty liner and a builders skip it is. Its a van after all. Carried a greenhouse in it today, then loaded an old fridge for the tidy tip, but on checking opening hours we found a permit is required which takes 3 days. I wonder why theres so many fridges dumped in gateways?

Guest 1footinthegrave
JudgeMental - 2013-11-16 5:03 PM

your a bare face liar pal, what are you doing on this thread anyway, but stirring trouble as per your usual tactics you absolute misery,,.. Did say I was going to ignore you, but you have an utterly nasty way about you that can not go unchallenged.

I've been accused by some of people that they should do things "the 1foot way " Jesus I'm a non starter compared to you constantly banging on about the rest of us being idiots if we do not endorse your choice of van, and country of origin of it, I think the majority of us get it by now ;-) or like the other bloke said " you don't listen "

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2013-11-16 5:14 PM

Heavy duty liner and a builders skip it is. Its a van after all. Carried a greenhouse in it today, then loaded an old fridge for the tidy tip, but on checking opening hours we found a permit is required which takes 3 days. I wonder why theres so many fridges dumped in gateways?

Bless you Colin at last some common sense......Plenty of Mercs and BMWs down there as well...ignore him not worth it...

bolero boy - 2013-11-16 2:45 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2013-11-16 2:29 PM

Derek, the Rapido website suggest slightly more width than your figures...

BED SIZES (mm)

Rear bed 1930 x 1350

Thanks for the follow-up.

I was aware of the Rapido brochure figures, but a July 2013 "Camping-Car" magazine article on the 640 quotes a bed-size of 190cm x 131cm. Who knows which is right but, if I had to choose, I'd opt for C-C's more pessimistic width-figure. The C-C report contains other dimensional data (work-top length, shower-room size, mattress-height above floor, etc.) so there's a sporting chance the report's author did some actual bed measuring. A 131cm width would be adequate for us, though an additional 4cm would be a useful bonus.

Guest JudgeMental
A charming french family, opposite me on site in Benidorm, who live in Argles, had a real luxury Bavaria A class (rapido the manufacturer apparently) it was stunning to be honest. all cream leather, lounge same layout as the rapido 640, but there the comparisons stop, seperate bedroom with Island bed and fur covers, corner glass shower, was a real flash bit of kit....

Archived