Possl Vans 2014

Guest JudgeMental

The "Bavaria" brand is part of the Pilote Group. The Group's motorhome brand-names are (currently) Pilote, Bavaria, Mooveo, Frankia, Le Voyageur and RMB.

Rapido Group's current motorhome brand-names are Rapido, Itinéo, Esterel, Fleurette, Campérêve and Westfalia.

The Groups are competitors and there's no link between them.

(As far as I'm aware the layout used in the Rapido 640 (with 'sideways' kitchen) is unique to the brand. The space-saving arrangement also appears in Rapido's 8-Series A-class range.)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JudgeMental - 2013-11-17 11:01 AM

OK.... I knew it was one or the other:-D but why I sort of remembered it was a similar front lounge..a bit like this: http://tinyurl.com/o7fbcxv

Eddie, nice bit of kit....sort of a Pilote Diamond Edition, on a Merc, too.

Heres a Bavaria from ebay for half that price, tho still a nice van.....http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2010-PILOTE-BAVARIA-I-741-FIAT-3-0-M-JET-160PS-/141115115743?pt=UK_Campers_Caravans_Motorhomes&hash=item20db1dc8df

Guest 1footinthegrave

Now if they could only eliminate emptying the sh*t bucket they may be on to something. ;-)

100K would rent you a good few villas though, makes you wonder, especially out of season when many of us travel.

JudgeMental - 2013-11-17 11:01 AM

OK.... I knew it was one or the other:-D but why I sort of remembered it was a similar front lounge..a bit like this: http://tinyurl.com/o7fbcxv

A Rapido 640's front lounge is similar in layout to our Hobby's - two short side-settees with a large central table. The 640 has a peculiar way of transforming the side-settees into a pair of forward-facing travel seats (which have no interest for us) and the basic design is further compromised by needing to cope with the drop-down single-bed that's a feature of the 640B version. As I said earlier, I'd like the option of a 'couple-only' layout for the front lounge, but there you go! Our Hobby's much the same - it's designed to be able to sleep three and that impacts negatively on the seating arrangement.

• 9 months later...
Guest JudgeMental

Update: sold the Adria November 2013 and picked up the Possl with Busbiker rack February 2014 at half term. So far so good although have not been able to use as much as we wanted to due to health issues. Just got back from Italy after touring down via Mosel, Alsace, Lake Constance. All being well Spain in October..

The van: it is undoubtedly a step up from Adria, not as flashy but better build quality and choice of materials and fittings, plus better insulation. slide out bathroom worthwhile as you get a far more spacious shower. French bed nice and big, a bit firm but sleep well on it. Bed corner cut out makes outside position a bit short, (was warned about this) we simply swapped sleeping position, there is an infill for taller people but this clashes with shower door so a bit awkward in use.

lighting not as good as in Adria, front table higher so easy to get your feet up on bench if using cab seats, this nigh on impossible in the Adria. bench seat cushion to soft.....That is about it I think. Oh the bike rack brilliant works so well.....

just thought I should round thread up....

• 4 weeks later...
I was at a german motorhome dealers earlier this week and they had a few possl vans in stock.one being a high top with two beds in the rear, centre shower etc.this was reduced to 47000 euros from 52900.they also had a few with the single beds in the rear.this was priced at 47000 euros.both prices are on the road new vans.speaking to the salesman he sort of said that a discount would be possible. So taking the exchange rate at the time it worked out at around 36, 000 pounds.a local uk dealer is asking 47000pounds.surely having a rhd cant add 10000 pounds to the price can it.

Go for it!

We've got the Possl with 2 single beds and steps up between them - way better than climbing over each other to get in and out of bed. We got lhd on purpose as we do far more mileage in Europe than the UK. You may not make the same money on it selling here as you would a rhd version, but I can't imagine you'd lose £10k, and anyway you can always sell easily in Europe.

As far as I’m aware there are no official UK Possl agents, so it’s difficult to see how a direct price comparison can be made.

It also needs saying that there are currently a lot of ‘brand new’ motorhomes on Continental dealerships’ forecourts that are (at best) 2013 models (ie. built on the now-superseded X250 chassis), with some much older. I visited a motorhome show at Cholet earlier this year and was startled to see 2011 and 2012 ‘new’ vehicles being offered for sale. I asked whether these several-years-old motorhomes were warranted and was assured that they were, but I wouldn’t have touched them with a bargepole.

I don’t believe LHD or RHD is the issue here, it’s primarily that the UK motorhome market differs from Continental ones. (In fact, when I asked a UK Globecar dealership recently what price difference there would be if I ordered a LHD Globecar, he said none.)

I’m also going to suggest that (even with sterling currently strong against the euro) once you factor in the cost of converting sterling to euros to buy the vehicle abroad, the ‘hit’ you’ll probably take on eventually selling the LHD vehicle, the potential hassle involved in importing the LHD motorhome into the UK and registering it, and the understandable attitude of many UK dealerships when it comes to providing support if things go wrong with an imported vehicle, you may wonder whether it wouldn’t be preferable to buy here.

Guest JudgeMental
terry1956 - 2014-09-21 10:17 PM

So taking the exchange rate at the time it worked out at around 36, 000 pounds.a local uk dealer is asking 47000 pounds.surely having a rhd cant add 10000 pounds to the price can it.

Yes of course it can! Buying an imported van from a UK dealer daft, they seem very bad at simple math and conveniently forget to factor in the present 1.27 exchange rate. As you say, discounts easily negotiated on top of that. You can get 17% discount on a CB, less on a panel van but still save many thousands on pounds... they should also throw in the extras at a very good price....Why do you thing so many of us do it.

Guest JudgeMental
That is strange Derek as I was quoted 12K more on a more of less identical Globecar to the Possl I imported earlier this year from UK dealer. and that for a bog standard van with bugger all spec. Perhaps the proof of the pudding is in the eating..not assumptions *-)

Guest JudgeMental
terry1956 - 2014-09-21 10:17 PM

I was at a german motorhome dealers earlier this week and they had a few possl vans in stock.one being a high top with two beds in the rear, centre shower etc.

Maybe that's a 2 Win Vario you are describing......There are 4 in the Vario range. To me while the shorter length appeals the hightop does not...but very popular in Europe where you see loads of them. good for family's with kids. they also have the option of a 140 litre fridge/freezer...unusual in a van

http://www.poessl-mobile.de/portfolio-item/2win-vario/

Archived