USB Charging

rp272

We have an Autotrail Delaware which has two cigarette lighter type sockets in the cab. We use these to charge phones, tablets etc while driving. These do not work when the ignition is switched off.

There is a similar socket close by the TV point which is live when the engine is not running. However neither of my plug-in chargers that work in the front seem to connect here.

The 12 volt system has recently been checked when the MH was in for its annual service but nothing was (apparently) wrong with the socket. The problem seems to be with the position of the earthing contacts on the side being in the wrong place.

The garage tried a USB plug that they had in stock by Blue Sea part no: 1017 which is made in USA for marine use and comes with a hefty price-tag approx - £20.

Boat owners obviously have more money than motorhomers!

These devices are normally just a couple of pounds but it is no good if they don't work.

Being able to recharge devices when we are parked on an aire is essential.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution.

Roger

rp272 - 2013-11-13 2:25 PM

We have an Autotrail Delaware which has two cigarette lighter type sockets in the cab. We use these to charge phones, tablets etc while driving. These do not work when the ignition is switched off.

There is a similar socket close by the TV point which is live when the engine is not running. However neither of my plug-in chargers that work in the front seem to connect here.

The 12 volt system has recently been checked when the MH was in for its annual service but nothing was (apparently) wrong with the socket. The problem seems to be with the position of the earthing contacts on the side being in the wrong place.

The garage tried a USB plug that they had in stock by Blue Sea part no: 1017 which is made in USA for marine use and comes with a hefty price-tag approx - £20.

Boat owners obviously have more money than motorhomers!

These devices are normally just a couple of pounds but it is no good if they don't work.

Being able to recharge devices when we are parked on an aire is essential.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and found a solution.

Roger

Is this the sort of thing you're after Roger? It says iPhone but will accept any USB lead...

Mains Charger Usb Plug Adapter

Andrew MMM - 2013-11-13 4:11 PMIs this the sort of thing you're after Roger? It says iPhone but will accept any USB lead...

Mains Charger Usb Plug Adapter

I doubt it Andrew - as I understand it he means 12 volt usb chargers like wot this is - only some will not work in his van's habitation 12 volt sockets for an as yet unknown reason?http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=12v+charger+usb&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=26265387171&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12470394582129669601&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_3ashc23ipf_b

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your reply. I probably did not make the point clearly enough that it needs to work off the 12v leisure battery when there is no electricity at an aire.

The charger you suggest looks very like the one for my Kindle that I use at home and is a very good price, but sadly does not solve my problem. 

Seems like there are two types of socket, and therefore plugs, as illustrated on this Roadpro page.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/12v24v-electrical-products/plugs-sockets-and-adaptors-12v-and-24v/procar-12v-and-24v-plugs/pro-car-universal-plug-with-8a-fuse-45.htm

We havent had any issues as our universal phone 12v adaptor seems to work up front in the cab and in the rear Tv socket. Other than that, i cant help, sorry.

Hi Chris

I have one of the ones that Tracker suggested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Port-2-1A-USB-Charger/dp/B005JCPZ22/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384362046&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+charger+usb

and also a single port version from Belkin.

I believe you are right about the different types of socket Chris. The motorhome engineer had a plug where the earthing contacts came much higher up the body - I don't think the ones on my two chargers actually make contact with the negative conductor. It is a bit difficult to check as ithe MH has been returned to storage, but I will have a look when I go to get two new tyres! 

What kind of charger do you use? 

Roger

I would have thought that the plug being circular, it could be rotated so that connection can be made.

The front sockets on my Fiat are slightly different in diameter and the bigger one has a bit of card to pad out the plug and stops it from loosening.

I have noticed that on my non ignition controlled sockets, charging can be slow when on battery only but picks up when the battery is being charged.

My theory is that the 12V to 5V USB plug has some voltage sensing electronics that either stops batteries from discharging if the voltage level is too low, or only works if the input voltage is at charging voltage say 13 V or so.

Just a guess

Rgds

Archived